rainbow queen

do any of your children rock?

do any of your children rock?

my son rocks his head -he will do this in bed-hes always done it

he says it makes him go to sleep -he does it in his sleep all night.

its not just a slight rock -its like hard -head side to side over and over.

its making his head sore on the back of his head-i feel he cant be getting a good nights sleep doing this all night.

im going to be telling camhs this aswell this week -as i feel he is very disturbed at night-with this rocking/night terrors/

just wondered if this is common at all?

I am adult now late twenties and will still rock body when anxiety stress is high. Rock sitting on floor with knees drawn up...it helps to feel calmer the rhytmic motion

My mum does this even now, rocks her head from side to side or bangs it up and down, she even used to do this when we were children and would say it would help her get to sleep. She willalso bang her leg up and down!!

I would mention it to CAMHS and see what they say >:D<<'>

My NT son has always done this to get to sleep, he does it very fast from side to side and I sometimes wonder why it doesn't end up giving him a headache.

Brook

Rocking is 'normal' comfort behaviour in humans... if you see anyone who is distressed they will usually be rocking back and forth. Many people (NT and on the spectrum) do it to one degree or another as a comfort thing, especially as kids. For some, it can be something as 'light' and casual as a few 'snuggling in' rocks at bedtime, but others may have more elaborate routines.

I know two of my four brothers (both NT) rocked constantly in their sleep as kids, and one of them has been known to do so occassionally as an adult - kneeling on the bed on all fours and rocking like a horse!

If you think about it, it's the first 'soothing' movement we know - being rocked in an adults arms (possibly even the womb) - so it's not not surprising that the sensation is soothing later on...

L&P

BD :D

N rolls her head around when excited - very fast at times!

My hubby also used to rock when stressed when younger - he is not dx with ASD, but I do wonder sometimes as he does share certain things with N....

i now blind people to rock side to side or back and farth.

i'm visual impaired and other disablitys not sure if i have as or not. as