Mumble

Nose Bleeds

Is there any link between ASDs or stress and nose bleeds? Just wondering - I used to have loads when I was younger (I used to have medication for it) and just recently I've started having a problem with them again - can it be related to stress (you could say I'm ever so slightly stressed at the moment :rolleyes:)?

Guest Lya of the Nox

could be but could be many other things too

so maybe *whispers* see a doctor

best i can offer

>:D<<'>

Guest Lya of the Nox

silly puter posted it 2wice

soz x

Edited by Lya of the Nox

My son gets nose bleeds al of the time, sometimes he picks his nose and it bleeds for up to an hour, sometimes they just happen.

My AS son used to have loads too, but I've been told that for kids, nosebleeds are a way of dealing with stress/heat etc without having symptoms like headaches and tiredness. Could also have something to do with helping to control blood pressure? This is not a fact that I'm sure of, but it was my doc that suggested it.

So, I'm going to be a total parent and say- get yourself to your doctor, get it checked. Stress definitely does play a part, but remember that stress can also affect blood pressure, which can cause nose bleeds. Could just be that as you get older, the blood vessels get a little weaker or more prone to this sort of thing as well.

(Don't panic though, just reread that and I sound like a doommonger!!! If your BP had altered drastically, you'd be feeling it in lots of ways!)

Esther x

I get them when im stressed. And more obviously when i walk into a door or someone punches me in the face. They can be caused by all sorts of medical issues so worth getting it checked. otherwise try and destress

I know this thread is now really old, but as I'm still having problems, I thought someone might have some suggestions. It's not an ASD thingy so some moddy person might want to move this thread now.

The GP says the nose-bleeds are a side-effect of my medication, which makes sense. Can't stop the medication, so I'm going to have to put up with the nose-bleeds.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips to reduce their frequency or length? I have several a day, they happen without warning, and last anything from 5 - 15 minutes. I do the whole pinching the nose and leaning forward thing, but it's making my nose sore (maybe I'm pinching too hard!! :rolleyes:) and not the easiest thing if out. Also (apologies if you are eating and this is too descriptive!!) I have nose-bleeds whilst asleep, swallow blood and then end up coughing it up :sick: :sick: so would really like to do anything to stop/reduce it.

The GP suggested an ice-pack, but as I don't have a freezer, that'll have to wait till next winter to try! :lol: I can't have the lazer-sappy surgery usually used because of my medical history, so it is more about finding ways to deal with it.

Rather than use tissues/toilet paper, we have a large stock of white flannels here for nose bleeds, probably about 60 of them.

They are more absorbant than tissues, and if you soak them in cold water ASAP, then wash them on a normal wash, with a Vanish 2 in 1 stain magnet in the drum of the washing machine, they keep looking white.

We use white flannels as they were on special offer, and it keeps them separate from the others used for washing faces.

NB - these flannels can also be used as hankies as they hold a lot of snot ! (sorry TMI)

I have just rememebered, as well as having more nose bleeds when stressed, my son and husband, tend to get more when the weather is hot/dry and they haven't been drinking enough.

Maybe drinking extra water or squash may help ?

If you can't figure out why it happens, then it may be worth having your nose cauterised.

When I boxed I had my nose broken badly, and I couldn't sneeze without having some kind of nosebleed and would wake up with blood on my pillow quite often.

It doesn't hurt to have it cauterised, but it isn't very comfortable.

I know this is a super old feed but I wanted to quickly pop in and say that I'm in the process of having myself and my three children diagnosed with Asperger's/asd/HFA (I will note here that this is still very new and I know terminology can be offensive if it's out of date and it differs from different countries and this is a UK feed and I'm in Canada so if I don't use terminology correctly please don't be offended and I will not be offended if you correct me) I'm also noticing alot of patterns in other kin. One thing that every single one of us that we suspect have autism has had a long history of issues with nose bleeds.

I cannot speak for everybody but I can speak for myself. I continuously and constantly picked my nose as a young kid. It was an obsession and a way for me to zone out. I hid it very well. Through the years I know times my nose bleeds were caused by excessive picking. I've also noticed over the years that it takes very little to cause a nosebleed. I may have damaged something in my early days. I also think there could be a link between nose bleeds and those with extreme anxieties panic and stress. I have a rare skin condition and when my mental health is Moody my body physically is a broke out broken mess. And if my nose was going to bleed this is when it would happen. 

My middle son has had so many nosebleeds over the years. His were definitely not caused by nose picking as every single one of his nosebleeds happen while in school and in class (he did everything in his power to fit in and not be noticed and would never sit in class and pick his nose) He has severe separation anxiety. He suffers from a great deal of quiet panic and holds his emotions in. Also waiting for a diagnosis. 

my youngest child has been suffering with a lot of behavioral issues and recently has been diagnosed with ADHD and has now been on medication for about a year. I've noticed a lot of changes in him and his emotions. He's very sentimental and definitely shows signs of anxiety panic. Just recently he started getting daily nosebleeds. Also waiting for a diagnosis of autism. 

So who really knows?

I'll pop back in 8 to 10 years and see where this goes lol