eismith

Help to settle my nerves

I am 23 British but live in France recently.My mum had a huge row over something and declared that i must be mentally handicaped because i cant manage on my own.

It was all very hurtful but some of the things that she mentioned were right like no friends and i have been told by other people that i am very polite but come off as being rude sometimes with no eye contact.I also rock back and forth when happy listening to music and when anxious.

I believe that i have asperger as i know or have been told that i show many of the signs.I always put my behaviour to dyslexia and being slow but believe maybe my attitude to people compared to my dogs might be something else.

my mum is all for me getting a diagnosis.I AM SCARED SHARING MY THOUGHT TO MY DAD THOUGH.

I will be going to the UK and also anxious about what they will test me on as i have never done well with ed pys test and dyslexia test i get very scared and this impairs my result.

Any help on what to say to my dad and especially what roughly will happen when getting a diagnosis.

Thank you in Advance

Emily :robbie:

Hi Emily, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly I would like to say that I work with several men in their 40s and 50s, who live with their mums, and who could not manage on their own. They are not mentally handicapped. That was a very cruel thing of your mother to say, and I think you have every right to feel angry with that comment.

But she has raised some issues which do point to Asperger's, so I think it is worth seeking assessment, so that you can understand what is going on.

The assessment depends on who you see and which diagostic scales they use. Mine lasted around 2-3 hours. I had already explained via email and telephone why I felt I had AS, and discussed a few of my symptoms. The Dr revealed that the telephone call was actually part of the assessment as well, although she did not explain exactly what she assessed it on (I didn't think to ask either). Mostly she asked me a lot of questions. Most diagnosticians will want to discuss your early development with a parent or elder sibling. If your mother cannot attend you appointment, she may need to be willing to discuss you over the phone or fill in a questionnaire.

I didn't have to do any written tests. If you do, you should explain how nervous you feel of them, and they can take that into account when looking at your result.

It's possible to have both dyslexia and AS. Do you already have a diagnosis of dyslexia, or are you seeking assessment for this too.