Sign in to follow this  
hev

my computers broke!!!!!!

im on mums one,my one says my configerations need resetting :unsure: ive been told to get a hp recovery disc by a friend but they are 25pound and what if that not what it is,25 pound down the drain,any ideas?

Hev - do you mean it won't boot up or that it won't connect to the internet?

If it's the internet it's probably just your server is down (the 'telephone exchange') you use to connect to the internet) because of the storms...

Try again later...

If the puter won't 'boot' at all (you can't get into windows) you'll need to be a bit more specific about the message you're getting...

Hope that helps

BD :)

Bit Torrent might have it,am have had a look on one main site but can only find HP printer drivers,although don't recommend BT unless know how to use it/what to look for etc.

Wonder if HP host the drivers etc themselves?

If PC is not booting,and it's not BIOS or hardware related,try downloading Ubuntu,use an ISO compatible burning programme [not sure which ones there are,as have only ever got ubuntu by getting them to send free copies but that takes a long time for delivery] to copy it to disc,put it in the dvd rom drive of the bad computer,and either set up as a live disc [which does not install anything to hard drive so cannot mess up] or install it,it's just an alternative operating system to Windows but it's completely free,and will load up needed drivers etc it might take a lot of effort to get some modems and wireless things working in ubuntu but is great when it works,have never had any of them problems as had basic no wireless set up and used cable broadband at the time.

Have had own share of dead computers to-bought an acer travelmate laptop last august,it got damaged beyond repair in a meltdown+seizure,weeks later [last week] managed to afford another one,but PC world had sold out of all the ones could afford,and only had one horrible cheap nasty advent laptop left,took it as wanted to get back online,it turned out to have a battery that did not work at all,a very obvious dead pixel and a space bar that sticks and makes a lot of noise when used,took it back today and they had the laptop am had originally gone to get in stock [one left ,after saying there were none] -a toshiba equium,have got extra insurance on it now.

Edited by TuX

You should have got a recovery disc with the computer which is what your friend is refering to. Can you give us a bit more information as when you are getting the error message. Might be able to help. Does sound like it is something that is coming up once the system has loaded though. That or the bios. I have seen that sort of error on start up. That is more complex and wouldn't be fixed by a disc. I have had PCs occasionally loose BIOS settings and not know the CPUs setup. This stops them working. It isn't too hard to fix (assuming nothing has gone wrong with the inner workings) but I won't post any instructions unless you confirm it is happening almost as soon as the PC is powered on. If it is the BIOS it can be a bit risky to the workings of the PC if done wrong. I expect if me or BD walked you through it you'd be okay though.

as summertime says, modern HP's dont have recovery discs but have a recovery partition on the harddrive accessable during the initial start up by pushing one of the function keys. It will normally tell you in a line of text which key to push for BIOS setup and startup options.