di30

petition

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ASDAspergers/

I have signed and passing this on, on behalf of a friend, if you agree, please could you sign and support this petition, thanks folks, much appreciated. :thumbs:

Hi Di, can you give a bit more info, simply because i'm looking at support options at the moment. What does disabled status mean and am I not classed as disabled? I get a disabled students allowance, so I'd never questionned it.

I would suggest that if you get a disabled students allowance then you are classed as disabled. Being disabled does not simply mean you're in a wheelchair.Being disabled means that you have a mental or physical impairment than means daily life is more difficult.

I would suggest that if you get a disabled students allowance then you are classed as disabled. Being disabled does not simply mean you're in a wheelchair.Being disabled means that you have a mental or physical impairment than means daily life is more difficult.

Thanks. So it's not an official 'title' or bit of paper as such? That's what was concerning me - whether I needed something on top of my dx reports and DSA to say I'm 'disabled'. :rolleyes:

Hi Di, can you give a bit more info, simply because i'm looking at support options at the moment. What does disabled status mean and am I not classed as disabled? I get a disabled students allowance, so I'd never questionned it.

Hi hun, I came across this on another ASD site, and this is the information added:

More details from petition creator:

This petition simply requests that once a diagnosis of and Autistic spectrum disorder is confirmed that an automatic right to support for services such as disabled (Blue badge) applications, social and local authority support such as respite care be put in place rather than a further uphill battle with red tape and the constant need to prove yourself worthy of support. This often leads to many who need support not even wanting to ask due to the increased stress and anxiety of the official process.

Hope this is of some help hun.

The best of luck to you.

Di. xx :thumbs:

This petition simply requests that once a diagnosis of and Autistic spectrum disorder is confirmed that an automatic right to support for services such as disabled (Blue badge) applications, social and local authority support such as respite care be put in place rather than a further uphill battle with red tape and the constant need to prove yourself worthy of support. This often leads to many who need support not even wanting to ask due to the increased stress and anxiety of the official process.

Thanks Di - this is absolutely what is needed - it can't be stressed enough. That way, people can choose not to access if they don't need the support, but people who need it or hit crisis and find they suddenly need it have support in place.

Thanks Di - this is absolutely what is needed - it can't be stressed enough. That way, people can choose not to access if they don't need the support, but people who need it or hit crisis and find they suddenly need it have support in place.

I totally agree with you Mumble hun. :thumbs:

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Di.

xx :thumbs:

I am uncomfortable with the idea of 'automatic' disabled status. My son was registered disabled with SS when he was a child, because that was appropriate for him. I have never needed to be registered disabled...when I got my dx, I would not have wanted this status either, because I'm not 'disabled'. I don't have a 'mental impairment', either!

How can you have an 'automatic right' to a Blue badge...I have AS, and have never needed a Blue Badge, and the same for my son. It would be wrong for either of us to have this (or indeed any provision) automatically just because we have AS.

I am uncomfortable with the 'automatic' element. I know a lot of children with ASD/AS do need disabled status (which still doesn't automatically mean they need a Blue Badge), but I don't think this can or should be a blanket thing.

Sorry, just my thoughts :(

Bid

Edited by bid

Hi - I think having the provision in place and the 'assumption' being made that you 'might' need the support is a fantastic one.

I don't believe it impacts those who don't require the support - but it would make a world of difference to those who do

I was speaking to a couple in another part of the country yesterday who are campaining actively for more young adult support - both in terms of supported housing and support networks etc. Some people are lucky to have supportive family around them to help them access and fight the various battles - those that do not will struggle.

Least if the support is there - if you need it you take it - if you don't, then you don't.

If I wasn't here to fight for the support J needs at school, and similarly when he becomes a young adult - who else is gonna help him? - if there is a 'backdrop' so to speak that would personally be a huge comfort to me.

But it's an unrealistic concept. You will never get any government, and by extension SS, health, LEA, to agree to this 'automatic disabled status'.

I think it would be wide open to abuse, for a start.

And it assumes that everyone on the spectrum is the same, which they manifestly are not.

I agree whole-heartedly with the urgent need for better provision and support, but I don't think that this sort of approach is the way to get it.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Hi - I think if something were to be put in place it would not automatically assume that everyone is the same - merely that 'everyone' could have access to support - if and when needed.

Of course everyone has different needs, and perhaps the concept of whats being petitioned for here could be worded slightly differently so as not to offend anyone with the concept of being labelled as 'disabled' - but...I think the concept of having such a system in place - in the background - as a 'right' if you have this diagnosis would be great.

I accept it's unlikely to manifest - but unless people campaign for change nothing is ever going to manifest for the better

I currently would not consider my son disabled, but if the things that had been causing him him levels of axnxiety had not been adressed perhaps I would currently have a different opinion.

It's a mixed bag. I remember TheNeil said he went to Prospects in Leeds and he didn't like the way they assume the group was less able than it really was. I said at the time that this could be because I had finished at the same Prospects branch just a few weeks before he started there, and they were quite suprised by the disabilities of myself and another guy, we both had speech problems.

It's great being able to take your abilities for granted(maybe), but how far do you want others to accomidate your ability? People always talk about accomidating disability, but this seems to ignore the amount of work that has to be put in support the other end of it. Whilst I disagree with the 'sufferer' wording of the petition, I'm in agreement with it's aim: this would be a huge benefit to some whilst only being a minor inconvenience to others.

I also wonder what problems this 'automatic disabled status' might have for adults with regard to employment, insurance, etc, etc?

I don't find the term disabled 'offensive' at all (not so sure about 'mentally impaired' ;) ).

My concerns are with the concept of a dx of ASD/AS automatically giving disabled status.

It's great being able to take your abilities for granted(maybe), but how far do you want others to accomidate your ability?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Lucas?

I don't think I take my abilities for granted? I'm certainly acutely aware that if I didn't work in a residential special school I wouldn't have achieved what I have career-wise, because the environment and my colleagues are more knowledgable about AS and more accepting of difference than many other work places.

My concerns are with the concept of a dx of ASD/AS automatically giving disabled status.

I'm still trying to get my head round what disabled status actually means and is in reality. At the moment I need support that is near on impossible to access - I can't even see my GP because I can't phone up - maybe it's just about understanding and accessibility?

Think it should be an 'opt out' thing of being disabled,rather than 'opt in',why should those who benefit from the labels,have to fight even harder to get the aides,services or support they need? maybe there should be another label for those who are unimpaired by their ASD so they don't have to be associated with disability,would they not be on the BAP side of ASD?,do unimpaired aspies/hfers who need no support or accomodations need official labelling?

How can you have an 'automatic right' to a Blue badge...I have AS, and have never needed a Blue Badge, and the same for my son. It would be wrong for either of us to have this (or indeed any provision) automatically just because we have AS.

Being classed as disabled wouldn't automatically get someone a blue badge,the person has to have higher rate mobility component of DLA otherwise it's near impossible to get, and most disabled people won't get high rate mobility.

Edited by TuX

do unimpaired aspies/hfers who need no support or accomodations need official labelling?

I do need accomodation and support, but not enough, IMO, to automatically warrant 'disabled' status purely because of my dx...and not because I don't want to be associated with disability, but because it wouldn't be appropriate or accurate for me.

Being classed as disabled wouldn't automatically get someone a blue badge,the person has to have higher rate mobility component of DLA otherwise it's near impossible to get, and most disabled people won't get high rate mobility.

But this is what this petition is asking for: a dx of ASD/AS automatically entitling the child/adult to, e.g. a Blue Badge. I don't think this is right.

Edited by bid

Rather than it being an 'automatic' entitlement, I would rather see effort and resources being poured into ensuring that the decision makers are aware of the massive disabling impact that some of the co-morbids of ASD have on people's lives.

I don't class myself as disabled at all, maybe dysfunctional at times, but that's so not the same thing. However, my son is definately disabled by his AS and co-morbids and life could have been so much easier if the decision makers were properly aware of the co-morbids, and also the fact that every person is different.

Flora

I'm afraid I'm with the 'nays' here too...

Petitions lobbying for better recognition/better access to appropriate support etc all make good sense - but one all-encompassing 'model' for AS sufferers would do far more harm than good...

On the other hand an 'opting out' system as tux suggested would be equally unworkable, because 'opting out' would imply the individual has no support needs when they could in fact face very real crises at certain points in their lives...

What we need is a responsive health system that assesses people fairly on needs and offers the kind of professional support that ensures those needs are assessed properly in the first place. That way, if needs change support strategies and services can adapt accordingly.

Dunno how you could do that, but 'blanket' policies are definitely not a good idea in any area of politics. :unsure:

L&P

BD :D

I've signed it but I think it's different for all AS/ASD people, you can't class them all as disabled, there is a very grey area in all this, just my opinion anyway.

I don't think automatic disabled staus is the right way to go about it.

Every person on the spectrum is different and has different needs, and some of this biggest problems that parents have when dealing with LEA's etc. is when the LEA try to shoe-horn a child into a 'one-size-fits-all' provision that a committee has devised rather than looking at what the childs individual needs are.

Simon