Stella63

My bank account has been emptied!!!

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!

Went on to my online banking yesterday and discovered that someone has cloned my debit card and run up �500 worth of transactions - all in one day!! Most of them are for online gambling. My wonderful bank, in their wisdom, didn't question all these dodgy dealings, they just increased my overdraft limit to allow them to go through!!

Apparently they will reimburse me for these transactions and the fraud department will investigate how it happened but it will take a week to remove them and in the meantime I have no money!!!!

Beans on toast for us!!!

Stella xx

Stella :wallbash::wallbash: It may be worth writing a firm letter to your bank....it is not good practice that they increaded the overdraft to cover iregular activity on your account.The credit card company that my OH and I use have checked up on unusual larger than normal transactions...that were our own purchases...so your bank should have spotted online gambling.Karen.

Wow! I can't believe they allowed something like that to happen. The bank that I'm with, when I spent a lot of money in one go they blocked my account until I verified that the transactions were mine. :rolleyes:

I know its no consolation to you but after reading your thread I checked my bank account and found somebody had set up a direct debit out of it that we knew nothing about :o So thankyou for putting this thread up as I have now sorted it out and am getting a refund!! :thumbs:

Someone cloned my credit card a year back, my bank were quick enough to realise that not only was the transaction above my credit limit but was totally out of keeping with my spending habits. They didn't suspend the account but delayed on the transaction until they had got hold of me. When they established I wasn't a German heading off to the Caribbean they contacted the police and closed the account.

Check for a small payment for a mag subscription or membership of something, that's how they see if they can use your details before hitting the big stuff.

The bank think my details were taken when I had my mail redirected during a house move.

This direct debit was for home insurance payable monthly. A quick call to the insurers confirmed that the names didn't tally. Have to go and fill in a form now to get my refund.

Stella, your bank should be able to do something to give you cash in the meantime.

We once has a small payment made on our credit card and it turned out to be fraudulent.

Well done Loobylou2!!! I do like to feel that I can help - inadvertently!!

I've realised that it must have happened when I bought petrol at my local BP, the man said my card had been declined which I thought was odd at the time because I knew I had money in the account. I'm almost certain he took the card off me and then he put it in the terminal and must heve obtained the details. This garage has been accused of this in the past - I won't be using it ever again!!

I will be writing to my bank to complain about their complacency with my account.

stella xx

[edited to comply with forum rules - Kathryn )

Edited by Kathryn

They are bad people,if they cant afford something they should save for it,not take it from other people.

At least are able to get it back though,but it is not fair that the bad ones get away with it.

It also happened to one of the night staff who works here,recently,it was traced back to being used at tesco,she got the money back.

Justamum and Stella, just to let you know I've deleted your two comments relating to the post which was already edited. Hope that makes sense!

Re bank fraud - this has happened to us recently - �1200 was taken out of our joint account - some transaction involving Dubai and computers software apparently :unsure: . Luckily the bank spotted it straight away and put it back. We are still waiting for our new cards though.

This kind of thing is on the increase apparently. :wacko:

K x

Oh dear Stella, so sorry to hear about this. My card got cloned at a petrol station too about a year go.

Clare x x x x

Warren thieves will find their way around any system eventually, some are very good at their 'craft'. The best we can do is delay them, it's foolish to say anyone can stop them. You just have to do your best to keep any eye on things and never divulge information regarding accounts and passwords in their entirety. Never answer emails saying 'your account needs reactivating' or 'my Father's estate blah blah, can you help me get the money out of the country'............................whilst I help myself to your money in the bank details you have just given me.

The key words are if in doubt as to the origin of a phone or email, check it out before divulging anything.