Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Checklist for alternative therapies

Hi all -

Received this in a newsletter today, and I thought it could be useful for some.

It's freely available from the NAS, but unfortunately only by request and not as a direct link, which is why i've pasted it.

BD :D

A Checklist for Alternative Therapies

(by Betsy Brua and Hanna Link)

The therapy

? How long has this therapy been used?

? How does the therapy work?

? What types of difficulties do the people who have received this therapy have?

? How many people with my child's disability have received this therapy and what were the results?

? What research is available that I can see which shows how effective this therapy is for people with my child's disability?

? How will you decide whether this therapy is appropriate for my child?

? Will you consult his/her GP/Other professionals for his/her medical/personal history?

? Is the therapy unsuitable for certain people? Who? Why?

? Are there any side-effects? If yes, what are they?

? How will you tell whether the therapy has been successful with my child? What signs will you look for?

? Will you compare his/her behaviour/condition before and after the therapy? How?

? Will you be following up my child at all to see if any change has been long-lasting?

The Therapist

? How long have you been using this therapy? How many people have you treated using this therapy?

? How were you trained in using this therapy? Who trained you? How long did the training last? What qualifications are needed to undergo training?

? Can I see your certificate?

? Does anyone still monitor you to see if you are still doing the therapy correctly?

? My child is?years old with problems in these areas:

Language

Behaviour

Learning

Etc (describe)

How many people have you treated who resemble my child and what were the results?

? Can you give me the names and contact details of any other parents/carers who have a child similar to my child who has received this therapy?

The arrangements for therapy

? How much will the therapy cost in total?

? Where will the therapy take place?

? Will I have to arrange transport/accommodation for myself and my child? How much will this cost?

? When will the therapy take place? Dates, times, time span, time off school?

? Do I have to pay for the therapy in advance?

? What happens if I wish to abandon the therapy before the course of treatment is completed? How much would I have to pay?

? Will we have a written agreement about the terms and conditions of the therapy?

? If my child gets worse can I have my money back? Will I be entitled to compensation?

? If my child's condition does not change after therapy, can I have my money back?

(Shame they couldn't staple it to the front of a certain mag.......... :devil:)

Good guide tho' Bads - thanks for posting, i know of a couple of families who will find it very helpful :)>:D<<'>

Looks good BD - shame it's not more easily available actually. I guess once you've gone through that list you'll have a better idea of whether the person offering the 'therapy' is OK or not, depending on whether they are still standing there or have miraculously resembled a dust cloud in the distance!

(Shame they couldn't staple it to the front of a certain mag.......... :devil:)

Oooh, but we could :devil: Between us, I think we have most of the country covered, so we could print it and slot it into the mags :lol: :lol: :whistle:

Looks good BD - shame it's not more easily available actually. I guess once you've gone through that list you'll have a better idea of whether the person offering the 'therapy' is OK or not, depending on whether they are still standing there or have miraculously resembled a dust cloud in the distance!

Oooh, but we could :devil: Between us, I think we have most of the country covered, so we could print it and slot it into the mags :lol: :lol: :whistle:

It would be a change from the usual pattern....people taking bits out of the weekend papers whilst noone is looking. :lol::lol: