Sign in to follow this  
oxgirl

MRI scan!!

Had Jay's six monthly hospital appointment today to check up on his migraines. Consultant said he wants to do an MRI scan just to 'rule things out'!! :unsure: Feeling quite teary about this. Goodness knows how they're gonna get him to lay still for 25 mins, for one thing!! He also said about him entering a 'very difficult time' and suggested we saw the psychiatrist to think about possibility of medication in the very near future. :tearful:

Came away feeling quite depressed, didn't exactly fill me with optimism. :crying:

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel,

they will probably give him a little sedation in the form of liquid, my son had an MRI and this is what they did for him.

Hope the results are good, I'm not even gonna try and say 'don't worry' cos you are a mum and that's what we do..

Brook >:D<<'>

edited to say: my son went for a visit a few days before and they showed him the machine and explained about the 'drink', also they showed him the headphones he would wear etc..

maybe they do the same at your hospital.

Edited by Brook

Mel >:D<<'>

They should be able to offer him a sedative or even a general anaesthetic for the scan. You have to go inside a tube and it can be quite chlaustrophobic and noisy.

Hopefully the scan will reassure you that there isn't anything serious wrong.

T x

Mel >:D<<'> >:D<<'> It is a worrying time for you.My friend's son had a general anaesthetic when he had an MRI.The various sedatives that were tried did not work so the anaesthetist used anaesthesia in the end.Karen.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Try not to worry, it is best that the doctor examines all pathways in order to get the best treatment for Jay.

My son has had a couple of MRI scans. He was given a general anaesthetic for both. The second one was at 'John Radcliffe' in Oxford. They were brilliant.

Thanks guys.

I was just surprised, I think, wasn't expecting that at all. His migraine meds have been increased and his headaches have improved a lot, only about two a week at the mo as opposed to five or six a week, sometimes with double lots of pain relief meds per day, so I thought all was going well and that he'd just say 'see you next year' or something like that. I'm quite glad he's suggested the psychiatrist, though, 'cos I've been wondering about maybe needing to access that in the next year or so and how I'd go about it, so if he's referring us now then I won't have to worry about that, but just came away feeling a bit depressed rather than reassured, as I thought I would be.

Caffeine Junkie, the JR is where we'll go, yep.

If they have to sedate him or use anaesthesia, though, won't he have to stay in the night, how will I get him home afterwards, can't carry him!? :unsure:

~ Mel ~

My daughter had MRI with a general as she was 4 when she had it. She slept for a couple of hours after then woke up happy and was discharged. No problem at all ;)

A x

Like Aro said, you will be discharged a few hours later, once your Jay as come round sufficiently. Every one who is having an MRI scan is expected to be at the hosptial for 7am. If you let the hospital know that Jay has ASD, they will probably schedule you in first, so you will not have to wait around as long. They did this for us.

Like Aro said, you will be discharged a few hours later, once your Jay as come round sufficiently. Every one who is having an MRI scan is expected to be at the hosptial for 7am. If you let the hospital know that Jay has ASD, they will probably schedule you in first, so you will not have to wait around as long. They did this for us.

7 a.m. ??!!??!!??!! Zoiks! :o:wacko: Oh well, at least the traffic should be nice and light at that time! :blink:

~ Mel ~

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> I use to have Ms there orrid, but you would be amazed what was causing them, it was the medication I was taking for them, I weened off them and cut out loads of foods that can cause Ms, like chocolate, coffee, alcohol, cheese, ect and I ensure I dont skip meals and reframe from staying awake for too long, loads of things can casue M, I recommend cranial massage or even a body massage though I know he may not like been touched, but it can be a real miracle also councilling and other therapies will help.

I dont suffer as much now, I get a bit weary with head aches, but once I have found the culprit I sort it out.

I hope that the MRI comes back all clear and that he can be given some help in reducing them.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi Mel,

Ny daughter had an MRI about 3 years ago - nothing was found. The staff were brilliant especially as she wasn't speaking at that time and was highly anxious generally. They explained everything very clearly and were very patient. She had a minor meltdown just before - turned out she was concerned because they had said she must remove all metal objects from her person - she was worried about the iron in her blood!

I was the only person in the room with her and I was given a buzzer to press if there was an emergency. I was worried that the noise would bother her but she actually found it quite reassuring as it was constant and rhythmical and low pitched even though it was loud. She didn't mind being in the tube and she had a full body scan so it took ages. She actually enjoyed it - she was fascinated by the machinery and something about it reminded her of Star Wars - her obssession at that time. Afterwards she was really relaxed and happy. She was 16, so probably more able to cope with it than a younger child.

I wasn't so happy - I remember it being really cold and I desperately needed the loo!

I hope it goes OK for your son Mel.

K x

Mel, Bill had an MRI scan when he was a baby, they did use sedation for it and I'm certain that if you contact the department before hand to explain his difficulties they will be able to reassure you, and if they weren't planning on using sedation they could probably make arrangements for it.

Hope all goes well. It must be very worrying, but I'm sure the consultant is just being extra cautious. In the US everybody who has regular headaches over a prolonged period of time are offered MRI scan (I was offered one when we lived in the US but as I've always suffered from regular headaches I didn't go for it), the only reason why some areas don't do it in this country is finance. Try not to worry too much >:D<<'>

Flora XX