Sign in to follow this  
harmony

Wetting in 12 yr old

Hi

A new member here.

My 12 yr old AS daughter still wets the bed nearly every night. We have been to a peadiatrician, have had scans etc, but nothing physically wrong. She tried some medication, but was reluctant to take it, and hid the tablets unless I saw her take them, she was also told not to drink after 6pm with them, not easy to enforce that with a 12 yr old AS. My biggest nightmare is that she won't wear pullups. she hates the feel, yet she is happy to lie half the night in a wet bed. We have tried rewards, waking her up, potty in room, talking, pleading everything! We have had to replace her matress 3 times, as the protective cover never stays in place. Her room always smells dreadful. she often can't remember to put her wet things in the wash, and as I work, and have 2 other yonger children sometimes I don't have time first thing, so we has a revolting mess to deal with, when we come in in the evening. I quite often find wet P.J's and knickers stuffed in with clean clothes, behind her bookcase etc. I do feel for her but she has even been known to wet the bed at 7am when she is awake. Sometimes she wets at school, comes home in the afternoon, gets changed and still stuffs the wet ones in odd places.

Can anyone advise, is this somthing that will go on for ever....Help I'm drowning.......so to speak

Harmony

I hope someone can help you with this, probably some of the more experienced AS mums maybe.

My daughter didnt wet at night, but in the day, usually when at school. She never said anything, we would just find wet tights and pants in the washbasket. It was most prevalent at secondary school. She did this up to being about 15. She told me once that some older girls wouldnt let her in the toilets. I spoke to the deputy head about it, she supposedly investigated it and found no one about (surprise surprise ... they could obviously hear her coming). It just stopped when she finished school. I know this doesnt help your problem, but Im just kind of saying, youre not the only one.

can you ask your gp to be put in touch with incontinence nurse-me and my son have recently had one appointment .

she worked out that in fact my son was not drinking enough waterin the day-sounds odd i know

but true he has to be promted to drink up...............so she set a plan on how much he should be drinking and he has to avoid alot things to as these irratate the bladder

blackcurrant

coffee

tea

cola

hot choc

choc milkshakes

orange

citrus

yeah doesnt leave much options -have to say i went out all for it-and have slipped up and relented a bit :whistle: as it caused major disruptive behaviour with it all...........sigh....but we are peservering-my sons 7 in june.

he also lies in it and has no awareness as such to take bed clothes off ect -and will refuse when i try to make him-hes ended up having awfull rash on his legs ect as well-so for them times i put him back in nappies-as his skin was far too sore to cope.

we was advised last drink at 6.30 .....which have to say in practice was near impossible -resulting in many more meltdowns but im steadly pushing bit by bit -so as to he dont notice big change straight away-then he dont dig his heels in as much .....going take time .

rq xxx

My son wet and pood the bed at times right up untill he was 10 years of age i thought it would never end.............he wrecked matresses too.............

I was also told that its was an old wives tale so to speak avoideing drinks on an evening ............that i should just let him drink what he wanted.something to do with needing to make connections with full bladder and then the braine realizeing this wakeing up and then actually getting out of bed to go to the toilet..............he often said when i asked why do you lie in it because he would do this and not seem bothered.........he would say i cant be bothered .............perhaps youre daughter cant be bothered to get out of bed..perhaps shes scared of the dark,leaving her room useing the toilet at night............just trying to come at it from differing angles..............

Anyway we also were told the incontinece nurse was the best option but like most things by the time we got to see one the bed wetting just stopped.................

Fingers crossed.

N was in nappies until she was 5 and a half and then she still needed them at night until she was almost 6. She then went for about 6 months with the odd accident (both day and night) but then cos she was stressed and anxious about school she started wetting the bed virtually every night. We didn't want her to go back in nappies so we bought lots of waterproof bedding!

She finally stopped wetting the bed at just before she was 8 at about the same time she started at a special school. I think we have had 1 or 2 night accidents snice then (she is now 9 and a half)and she doesnt always get to the toilet in time in the day but that isnt that often.

When she was wetting the bed she had a few scans etc at the hospital to see if there was a prob with her kidneys but all was fine.

My eldest was in nappies until he was 11 and a half. medications didn't work for him.

He had programme where he drunk plenty during the day to 'exercise his bladder' then at night he ddin't drink after 8.00 and for the half an hour up to tuning his light off he went to the toiulet three times and stayed there each time until every drop was out.

within 3 weeks he was down to being wet twice a week and after 6 weeks we wer able to take him out of nappies. He kept up this method for a year. Now he is 14 and a half and has wet once in the last 6 months.

youngest is 12 and this hasn't worked for him. he is currently on nasal spray which works well but doctor won't refer him to an enuresis clinc, he says they are only for small children (?) so not sure what to do with him. we have tried taking him off it but he goes staright back to wetting.

All the advice I can give is TRY EVERYHING!

Mummy x

My eldest was in nappies until he was 11 and a half. medications didn't work for him.

He had programme where he drunk plenty during the day to 'exercise his bladder' then at night he ddin't drink after 8.00 and for the half an hour up to tuning his light off he went to the toiulet three times and stayed there each time until every drop was out.

within 3 weeks he was down to being wet twice a week and after 6 weeks we wer able to take him out of nappies. He kept up this method for a year. Now he is 14 and a half and has wet once in the last 6 months.

youngest is 12 and this hasn't worked for him. he is currently on nasal spray which works well but doctor won't refer him to an enuresis clinc, he says they are only for small children (?) so not sure what to do with him. we have tried taking him off it but he goes staright back to wetting.

All the advice I can give is TRY EVERYHING!

Mummy x

Thanks for that. We are going to try to get an appt with incontinence nurse asap. Then we off to get a plastic coated matress (yuck) I just wish she would wear pull ups, but even if I beg plead, or yell. she won't wear them. So I have a wet bed every day. She also smells, as she will not shower/bath in the am, doesn't seem to care at all.

life can be hard sometimes. Compared to her nt brothers she is such hard work!!

Harmony

hi reece still wets the bet up to 4 times a nite we have sen the incontinence nurse and we measured all his intake and output for 4 days said he has a lage bladder and holds enough urine but he drinks too much he does drink litres in a day and wen hes stressed he dosnt eat just drinks cup after cup of very weak squash she said she had never asked someone to reduce there fluid intake before!!!

we tried pullups but reece wouldnt wear them and we tried bribing him and everything but we sometimes got them on him just to go and check on him and hed be soaked and pullups nicely folded on the bottom of bed..

we were then told never to make an issue out of him wetting the bed which we never have.....

and now have kyles to put on the bed which help sometimes but most of the time he wees so much it still goes on the bed!!!!

and my nan brought him some pillow protecters as i had to keep throwing his pillows away...........

so sorry not much help. the incontinence nurse said she can do no more unless he reduces his intake of fluid which i cant seem to do as he becomes even more distressed

love donnaxxxx

If the morning shower/bath is an issue it might be a possible bargaining tool. If she will wear a pull up etc then she only needs that area washed, if she refuses she has to get a bath/shower.

Incontinence service can usually provide a more comfortable pants or large nappies. My youngest has just had a referal and they are ordering him the pants. They have an absorbant pad in then you can add extra pads which are like sanitary towel shaped things, or have them just as pants which I am hoping will help him during the day but without being too obvious for him as he's in mainstream school. I am unsure how much they will help yet but the pull up pants are costing me a fortune and he's getting terrible nappy rash with them. They are also seeing about providing the kylie pads but a usual they have restrictions on how much they can help :rolleyes:

Sites like this one http://www.snugnights.co.uk/mattress-prote...CFQYZuwodCVEQOA do ZIP OFF mattress protectors which we have ordered as a plastic covered mattress still gets whiffy and you can wash these covers much easier, being zip on/off my son won't be able to just pull it off so easy and hopefully be strong enough so he can't rip it.

Edited by lil_me