Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

awareness cards

Hi, due to a terrible tantrum in toy shop at weekend with many people staring (and passing comment) I looked on nas site and found some cards to hand out for this sort of situation. I have to say this was probably the worst ever meltdown ds has had in public or possibly anywhere! I ordered the cards feeling desperate for the general public to know ds is not just a badly behaved child and more importantly(for ME) that I am not a totally inept mother!! But I dont know that I will ever be brave enough to hand a card to a dissaproving onlooker? :tearful: Have any of you used these cards? I ordered them as I am sick of poeple passing judgement on me and my ds.... But is it a good idea? I am never going to see these people again.. Or do you think it will raise awareness and maybe change the persons attitude another day with another mum and her son?

I used them a few times when I felt really stressed and peopled were casuing the meltdowns to worsen by staring and commenting!

Now I just tell them to "please, stop staring. My son has Autism and he needs some space, thankyou!"

Once though, I did get soooo angry that I ended up ranting, "The Special Needs show is over now, thanks for watching and goodbye!"

I'm in the calm, don't give a stuff what you think phase now!

In Js pocket is a few awareness cards along with a photo identity explaining his multitude diagnosis, its more incase he is seperated or lost at least then he can be reunited with me, I just usually say special needs if he is really not coping in an enviroment, usually its sensory so I can explain that better.

J is older and it looks rather odd when he is having a full scale behavioural difficulties, I plan and prepare J as much as possible now and since using widgets we have had a lot more success in reducing the behaviour.

I have ranted before but it just embarassed me more, now I just request support from the staff and it is dealt with in a private room or away from the spectators.

JsMum

I was wondering about these too - my DH thinks I am going OTT but he isn't the one trying to prise DS's tongue off the checkouts and the trolleys when we go shopping or trying to explain to people that he when he stands with his hands over his ears screaming its because there is the wrong sort of noises etc etc

I have seen tshirts with " I 'm not naughty - I'm autistic" but then I got told I would be drawing attention to him - I really dont give a flying wotnot what people think but it does get my back up when people give you that "look" :wallbash: