ScienceGeek

Sleep Tablets?

I've been really struggling with my sleep again lately, I know that if this pattern goes on I will slip back into insomnia and my coping will be out the window. I'm thinking of asking the GP to put me back on sleeping tablets. This is not the time to be feeling like a zombie, far too much that needs doing.

Anyone else on here have to use sleeping tablets to get normal sleep?

My GP prescribed them about 5 years ago after I'd come out of hospital (I'd had a serious accident and been in a coma - I wonder if my body was kind of scared to go to sleep :unsure:) and just couldn't get to sleep.

But I found they didn't work - I think because I was fighting them - so I got the complete drowsiness during the day on top of being tired through not sleeping.

For me personally, I would address any issues that might be causing difficulties sleeping - noise (ear plugs), light (black out curtains), partner moving/hot/snoring (chuck 'em - only joking :unsure: - it works though :lol:), temperature, etc...

Sometimes a short course of sleeping tablets is all you need to get you back into the right pattern.

The problem with using them long term is that you don't get the natural sleep, you just sleep off the drug, and wake up still worn out. If you stay asleep once it's worn off, it might help a bit though.

Melatonin might be a better option if you need something more long term, perhaps with something else for occasional use.

I'm ok most of the time once I get asleep, unless I've had a particularly stressful day then I'm up and down all night. The problem being that even with all the lights off the flat is still very light, the buildings behind ours are very fond of their garden floodlight. It is never quiet enough either in this place as everything is so close together so I can hear the noise coming from the boiler which is next to our bedroom in the bathroom.

Even so my sleeping pattern has been worse recently, I'll feel tired, turn the light off, lay down and be wide awake again. This was the same problem I had when I suffered insomnia for 11 years. :unsure:

i'm on meds for depression on and off different ones since 14 years old i'm now on mirtazapine 45 mg at night to help sleep and mood! but still suffer from anxiety related problems! so maybe need meds for that too i don't know i got adult MH service/team got pyschtrist don't feel he understands me! but he boss down there! scared to say anything at all! i have paranoia,panic attacks etc!

XKLX

Sometimes a short course of sleeping tablets is all you need to get you back into the right pattern.

The problem with using them long term is that you don't get the natural sleep, you just sleep off the drug, and wake up still worn out. If you stay asleep once it's worn off, it might help a bit though.

Melatonin might be a better option if you need something more long term, perhaps with something else for occasional use.

Hi.I think that GPs are usually reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets long term now anyway.It has become more recognised that they don't help people to develop natural sleeping patterns.Also some of the sleeping tablets that used to be prescribed long term a few years ago have been found to be addictive.So attempting to come off them can create more problems than the original problem.

Melatonin may well be a better long term option.Karen.

Yes SG, I take/took them, GP put me on them when I was going through that appalling period with DS last year, they were a life saver and meant 8 hrs unbroken sleep! I felt like a new woman in the morning! I only used them occassionaly, but just knowing I could get a nights sleep when I wanted was pricelsss! Enid

Yep! I'm using Doxepin to get "normal sleep", it's a tricyclic antidepressant with anxiolytic properties and strong sedation, especially in the beginning. In relation to insomnia it really works but I'm still depressive and anxiously. :(

Usual side-Effects in the beginning are: fatigue in the daytime and drowsiness. Otherwise a dry mouth (xerostomia) and a frequently increased appetite (maybe weight gain). I also used Zolpidem and Zopiclone et al. but they are not suitable for a long-term treatment because of possible physical dependency.

I suffer from sleep disturbance since many years. Worse luck! :crying:

LG Hyperakusis

I've been really struggling with my sleep again lately, I know that if this pattern goes on I will slip back into insomnia and my coping will be out the window. I'm thinking of asking the GP to put me back on sleeping tablets. This is not the time to be feeling like a zombie, far too much that needs doing.

Hi,

I have insomnia from childhood and I didn't know that it is associated with Asperger's Syndrome. But now, I've been taking sleeping meds but minor one, called Ledormin in addition to minor tranquilizer. That's enough for me but sometimes in these days, I may need more strong sleeping med. However, considering the side effect having it, like thirsty, sleepy till noon... things like that. So, I keep having the minor one.

Regards,

>:D<<'>

Goody,