peaches

Flying with AS child

We are going to Corfu in 6 weeks with DGS5 and DGD2. DGS has been referred to CAMHS for possible ASD.

On our flight home last year we were seated behind a nasty man who grumbled about our lad being on the go all the time (he wasnt that bad really!!). I wondered if we would benefit from a seat with no one in front? Are airlines sympathetic to this sort of thing? We had a huge bag of stuff to keep him occupied but you know how they cant keep still...

What do you do on flights?

We are going to Corfu in 6 weeks with DGS5 and DGD2. DGS has been referred to CAMHS for possible ASD.

On our flight home last year we were seated behind a nasty man who grumbled about our lad being on the go all the time (he wasnt that bad really!!). I wondered if we would benefit from a seat with no one in front? Are airlines sympathetic to this sort of thing? We had a huge bag of stuff to keep him occupied but you know how they cant keep still...

What do you do on flights?

Hi Peaches,

Luckily our daughter is heavily into her games/pc etc - providing that is her particular interest at the time her DS will be her lifesaver. However, sometimes we have had to go somewhere when her DS isn't her in obsession at the time and it's a different matter as although she likes listening to her ipod or drawing/reading etc if she is distracted by others or noises then she gets upset.

For us we always make sure the flight is only short - the Balearics/Mainland Spain/Portugal etc where the flight is only just over 2 hours and lots of reading, drawing stuff, her ipod and DS. When she was younger she liked listening to storytapes on her walkman and we always pre-book our seats - so that she gets the inside window seat and doesn't have to move or get up for anyone else, we also pick a resort with a short transfer time, and usually use the taxi transfer so that she is away from everyone at the earliest opportunity.

However, keeping our 5yr old NT daughter still is a different matter - as she managed to annoy both the people in front and behind her last year - unfortunately you will always get people who will get annoyed at childrens behaviour no matter how good they are.

Take care,

Jb

i would have to say take lots of things to keep her busy that things she likes.

take care

good luck

caroline

He is into game boy games and will be taking that. Last year he didnt have a handheld so I expect this will save our sanity. Although he is only 5 he can talk at great length about sonic the hedgehog and Mario.

In the past, we have done short flights to Spain etc but this year is a special anniversary and we want to return to Corfu, hence the trip. I suppose he should be used to it has he has been on several plane journeys before, but you know what they can be like. He has been on a longer flight though before.

I think your biggest problem is the grumpy man. You should have 'accidentally' spilled water on his groin as you walked past :oops:

He is into game boy games and will be taking that. Last year he didnt have a handheld so I expect this will save our sanity. Although he is only 5 he can talk at great length about sonic the hedgehog and Mario.

In the past, we have done short flights to Spain etc but this year is a special anniversary and we want to return to Corfu, hence the trip. I suppose he should be used to it has he has been on several plane journeys before, but you know what they can be like. He has been on a longer flight though before.

Hi Peaches,

Hopefully your saviour will be his games - if I need to perk my daughter up or keep her interested I'll talk to her about her favourite interests - there have been many a time I've had a go of one of her games just to get to know character names or difficult bits so that I can talk to her about it - this picks her up or gets her interested sometimes even when she's very down or very distracted.

Take care, hope it goes well for you.

Jb

This is a useful topic for me at the moment - were taking our lot to Florida in July and C has never flown before.

He's obsessed with Pokemon games on his DS, and he'll be taking his PSP too. So, the combination of these two should help keep him amused.... but I'm worried his anxiety levels will hit the roof.

He's already stressing about flying, especially for such a long time and over so much ocean. He's into statistics and is reeling off airline disaster stats (much to the upset of the twinkles). According to his psych, it's all he's talking about during their sessions.

I'm seriously thinking about asking for a mild sedative or something for the flight... has anyone else ever been prescribed something for while they are flying?

This is a useful topic for me at the moment - were taking our lot to Florida in July and C has never flown before.

He's obsessed with Pokemon games on his DS, and he'll be taking his PSP too. So, the combination of these two should help keep him amused.... but I'm worried his anxiety levels will hit the roof.

He's already stressing about flying, especially for such a long time and over so much ocean. He's into statistics and is reeling off airline disaster stats (much to the upset of the twinkles). According to his psych, it's all he's talking about during their sessions.

I'm seriously thinking about asking for a mild sedative or something for the flight... has anyone else ever been prescribed something for while they are flying?

Hi Krystaltps

The only thing about the long haul was, due to the length of the flight, coming back was a night flight and he did disturb the man in front. BUT we were coming back from Las Vegas so there were a lot of childless adults on the plane. There was only one other child and she was seated behind us. Hopefully with a Florida flight people will be more understanding as it will be full of families. I would ask one of your docs about a sedative. I know my parents had one for Australia but I havent known a child being prescribed one. When the children were littler I used to put teething powders (the ones with chamomile in) in their drinks and this helped. Have you tried any of the Bach remedies? My daughter, now 21, was helped by taking mimulus for her fear of the dark. You just put a few drops into their drink. Mimulus was for "fear of known things". There also might be a suitable homeopathic remedy.

When we flew last year l told british airways that my son had aspergers, and they upgraded us to first class!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mind you the plane wasnt very full, but it was great to have something nice come from Nick haveng aspergers :thumbs:

hi my freind had the same problem she took her young daughter with asd and she never sits still she spoke to the airline and they let her keep her major buggy til she was on the plane and also let them get on first and hav an aISLE seat so she wouldnt keep climbing over people

they were really good also her doc did offered medication to relax her but she declined

love donnaxx

Hi,

We've recently (last week) been on holiday to Spain. I notified the tour operator in advance that my child has special needs. With the last tour operator I had to fill in a form detailing the problem. I asked for the front seats so he has more room, no one in front etc and asked for pre boarding as he finds it stressful getting on a plane with lots of people about. I also wrote that he may need to be carried if he gets stressed.

However in the past I haven't had to fill out a form and just explained his needs over the phone.

Our tour operator this year was very understanding, even asking passengers if they minded swaping seats with M as he was allocated a seat 3 away from his original seat he had when flying out. they then offered to get a 'buggy' to meet him when he got off the plane to minimise stress.

There are some good people out there :thumbs:

Give them a ring and explain

mum22boys

We're off to the dominican republic in august and DD3 has major anxieties about being too confined so i phoned the airline and explained, they have made a note of it and are hopeful that they can sit us at the front so we have noone infront of us, they said that all such requests will be looked at a couple of days before the flight and a final decision made then so they cant be certain till we get there. the only thing they ask from us is a note from the doc to say she is fit to