Sign in to follow this  
oxgirl

MRI scan.

Got a phone call yesterday from the MRI dept. offering an appointment for next Tuesday!! :o

When I said to them that Jay would def. not lie still for 25 mins, she got a bit huffy. She said she had a letter from the consultant saying he had AS but assuring them he was 'cooperative' and so wouldn't require anasthaesia. When I told her there's a difference between being cooperative for a five min exam and lying totally still in a noisy machine for 25 mins and that I KNEW it just wouldn't happen, she said she'd get back to me. She didn't seem very happy about me disagreeing with the doc though. :whistle:

~ Mel ~

Guest Lya of the Nox

that be their problem then you know him best

call again tomoz to make sure they are putting things in place for him

x

Mel you were quiet right to be straight with the woman from the MRI department.

It would have wasted valuable scanner time if you had said nothing and then Jay had got anxious and not been able to manage. :)

Also once Jay decided he did not like the idea of the scanner it would difficult to get him to go back to try again.Karen.

My ds had a CAT scan yesterday, they said it would only take 5 mins, but we were kept waiting 45mins, and he kept saying this is ridiculous lets go. its a 2hr round trip to hospital so I really didnt want to go, he was just getting up to leg it down corridor when nurse case bustling up and he went off with her like a lamb! Breathe out!! Enid

I agree with Karen - if you had not explained your concerns and J did not lie still for the duration of the scan, they would be even more annoyed. Being annoyed is what some hospital office staff do best, anyway (in my experience)... so don't worry.

R had an MRI when he was 5 yrs, and because of his age a general anaesthetic was arranged, and as we stay on an island, they had booked him into the ward to stay overnight.

We were very lucky in that there was a cancellation for after R's slot, so they thought they'd try him first without GA as they had plenty of time incase it failed and they needed to use GA afterall.

Amazingly, he fell asleep - he'd been starved in preparation for GA, and we'd gotten the earliest ferry off the island - 6.30am... no wonder he was so exausted really. So he lay like a little mouse for the full 50 mins (his was a brain scan).

I doubt you and J will get so lucky (the staff were amazed when they came back into the room afterwards to find R asleep, apparently it's unheard of!), but they can give older children mild sedatives instead of GA - perhaps you could ask about that.

Zoiks, got the appointment through today, 3rd June! It sounds like a really big ordeal, not sure I want to put him through it now. He can't have anything to eat or drink that morning and we'll have to leave the house at about 6.30 to get there in time, then an anaesthetic through a needle in his hand and possible overnight stay, sounds like a nightmare of a day! :tearful:

~ Mel ~

Got a phone call yesterday from the MRI dept. offering an appointment for next Tuesday!! :o

When I said to them that Jay would def. not lie still for 25 mins, she got a bit huffy. She said she had a letter from the consultant saying he had AS but assuring them he was 'cooperative' and so wouldn't require anasthaesia. When I told her there's a difference between being cooperative for a five min exam and lying totally still in a noisy machine for 25 mins and that I KNEW it just wouldn't happen, she said she'd get back to me. She didn't seem very happy about me disagreeing with the doc though. :whistle:

~ Mel ~

T's had two MRI scans, they did give him a seditive to make him sleepy on both occasions as he'd never keep still, and it would freak him right out!

oxgirl, I hope it goes ok, it is hard I know >:D<<'>

Edited by Cariad

Zoiks, got the appointment through today, 3rd June! It sounds like a really big ordeal, not sure I want to put him through it now. He can't have anything to eat or drink that morning and we'll have to leave the house at about 6.30 to get there in time, then an anaesthetic through a needle in his hand and possible overnight stay, sounds like a nightmare of a day! :tearful:

~ Mel ~

My dd had her MRI aged 4yrs. She had the gas to put her to sleep before the GA was administered (though I would rather she just has the needle and magic cream for her next GA!) and she slept it off for a couple of hours after back on the ward and was home in the late afternoon.

Good luck for the 3rd. ;)

A x