Deborah 1

not eating and saying food is dirty

Well done for seeking help it's not something that is easy to do.

After having major meltdowns at University one year i decided enough was enough. i changed my diet literally overnight to;

breakfast

Mushroom omellette; made from mushrooms and eggs with a little water in a microwave omelette maker.

lunch

jacket potato with tuna majonnaise

dinner

steamed fish, with raw vegetables

At the weekends when i went home i would have slow cook meals for dinner. Slow cookers are great you can put in what you like then leave to cook for most of the day eating when you come in at night. They are a pain to clean and hard to fit in most fridges (the leftovers) but it makes a lovely stew.

There is an 'eating disorders for dummies' book i have a few of the 'dummies' books it just means 'in simple english' i would also recommend the 'anxiey and depression workbook for dummies'.

Really hope you can pull thorough im about your age and have just failed my postgrad in autism at the university of birmingham.

I'd ask your GP to see a psychologist - weight loss can only be done when you're in the right frame of mind to begin with. I've got polycystic ovarian syndrome which makes me put on weight, but I've been managing to lose it properly since last year - have lost two and a bit stone now. That was with the help from GP and a dietician.

Congrats on your weight loss that is difficult with PCOS.

IIFYM (if it fits your macros) for the win. with this approach of flexable dieting you can work in some of your favorate foods into your daily calorie intake. i know of guys that have stepped on a bodybuliding stage with 5% bodyfat and have done iifym. its a much better way in the long run and you dont have to eat boring food day in day out.

a meal example may look like this:

2 chopped chicken breasts stir fryed with rice and mixed veggies, and served up with a cup of ice cream. (for me its ice cream but you can have whatever you want)

meausure out the calories in the meal to allow for the treat to fit, i.e less rice or less oil.

your more likley to feel happy eating this way, and lets face it, your more likely to make it a life long lifestyle. as long as your calorie intake for the week are in check then your cool. i say week and not day as if you do over do the calories on any given day then you can adjust the follwing days to fit acordingly.

Hi my son Piers has Aspergers and ADHD he takes Concerta 36mg once daily and melatonin 7.5mg at night. The concerta has worked really well on his hyperactivity, concentration and impulsivity but has drastically reduced his appetite. He eats well in the morning usually 2 bowls of cereal (we make sure he eats breakfast before his concerta) and is usually starving at bedtime so i know it is the concerta that effects his appetite. He has packed lunch as he wasnt eating any of the school lunches. To begin with he ate well at packed lunch but for the past 2 weeks he has been bringing his lunch box home untouched. He states he doesn,t like sandwiches and he is being put of his food by other children being silly (usual child things like making trumpy noises eating sloppily etc) and this makes him feel sick. At home he is reluctant to eat lunch but we encourage him by making sure he has no distractions sits down to eat etc. His evening meal is very hit and miss if it is pasta he will eat everything other things he won,t touch then he is hungry later and demanding sweets. His twin sister is consatntly hungry and will graze all night so I feel like all I do is prepare food with 3 packed lunches and the twins demands this is getting tiring.

He is also becoming increasingly fussy. Previously he ate anything his favourite foods being chilli, olives, squid and snails, but now the list of foods he won,t eat is getting longer. He hates fast food (not a bad thing) and is easily put of his food. If one of his siblings coughs or burps at the table he then refuses to eat. He naturally refuses dairy products as he was severly lactose intolerant until he was 4 and he instinctively knows if he eats too much it gives him a poorly tummy although he does have some dairy in his diet.

He has lots of energy (perhaps too much) is healthy but at 9 years old he only weighs 3stone4 his consultant knows this and says that as he hasn,t lost any weight she wants to keep him on the concerta as it works for him, I agree with this but I am concerned about his weight. His weight is on the 2nd centile and height between the 2nd and 9th centile. When he was born he was on the 75th so this is a huge drop. Can anyone who has dealt with this give me any advice. My husband is notoriously bad at dealing with these situations and comes in heavy handed, he told him last night that if he doesn,t eat he will take him to the hospital and leave him there, this as you can imagine caused a massive row between us. My oldest boy is also ASD and although he is a fussy eater he has a good range of foods and will eat every bit on his plate to the point the plate looks clean when he has finished. Sorry this is so long.

Hi joybed

I really feel for you. I have 2 boys and the eldest one has always eaten well although went through a bit of a fussy stage which soon went away when he got to about 13-14 and was growing and getting more hungry. The youngest one has never eaten very well and has got worse as he has got older. He says he doesn't enjoy food. He has severe problems with taste, texture and consistency. He too also is easily put off and I still make his food (he's 17) as if there is even a crumb in the butter dish he won't eat anything and needs to throw the whole butter pot away! When he was in hospital last year they did get him eating more, but there was the extreme motivation of being in hospital and wanting to do what was necessary to come home. Since then he has gradually withdrawn the range of foods he eats down to what he can mostly cope with.

He didn't really attend Secondary School, and i believe eating was one of the many problems he had there. Now he is at college he chooses to eat in a room on his own as he doesn't like eating in front of others. He says he feels rushed by others being there.

Hi joybed, sorry, haven't time at the mo to give full attention to your post or the reply, as am rushing to get ready to go away on holiday. Didn't want to not respond though, so just wanted to say DON'T WORRY!!

I know this seems like a ridiculous thing to say, but believe me, I have been there and done that. My lad is now nearly 20 and six foot and you wouldn't believe from looking at him now the worry and stress we had with food when he was younger. We were frantic with concern, he was below the 0.2 centile for weight and the list of food he would eat got down to three items at one point. He stayed with his grandmother for five days so we could get away when he was 7 and all he ate the entire time was yogurt and KitKats. All I can stress is the more you worry the worse it gets and it does no good anyway. HE WILL BE FINE. You don't think that now, I know we didn't believe it either when people said it to us, we thought he was going to die or do himself terrible damage. But, here he is, nearly 20 and well. One day this will be behind you and it WILL GET BETTER. Just try to believe that and hold onto it, and try not to worry too much.

~ Mel ~ (*rushing off to Majorca*)