dooday24

help please

ive just received a speech and language report today, as i have kept on at the school that i have had no feedback from any of the perfessionals ,have visited reece at school.

these r the findings

receptive languuage subtests standard score percentille rank age equivalent

(understanding)

concepts and directions 1 0.1 <5.00

understanding spoken paragraphs 5 5 not available

espressive language subtests

( speaking )

word structure 2 0.4 <3.02

formulated sentances 4 2 4.00

recalling sentances 1 0.1 4.00

standard scores between 7 and 13 fall within the average range. the percentille is where 100 is the highest score and 0.1 is the least. a score of 50 would represent the middle point in the average range. A score of 1 or 1st centille (or less) means 99% of children in this age group would of scored higher than this........

as i make out hese scores seem very low and the school r still saying there is no problem at school!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure where i should go next r the school obliged to carry out wat the speech therapist sugests as they r not at the moment????

any advice would be gratefully apreciated

thanku everyone

sorry its so long

love donnaxxxx

If the speech therapist feels there is a problem the school will not be able to stop the wheel moving from them.......most SLT are very forceful about helping a child once on their books.

Strike a relationship with the SLT and go from there.

My sons, when he had one, I appointed via my GP. She saw him assessed then TOLD the school she was coming in and when.

thanx justamum i didnt even know she was goin into school til reece had his reveiew as old slt had left and they hadnt told me she had been in.

so i havnt even met her yet she has left a phone no on the letter if i would like to call her which i think i should just to find out wats goin on

thanx again

lv donnaxxx

thanku tried to delete one but didnt know wat to do thanx again

love donnaxxxx

Don't worry...I don't think you can.Mods need to delete a thread. :) Karen.

Awwwww Donna, you must be very worried to have to read a report like this, in cold black and white, its a shame they had not arranged for an appointment for them to discuss with you what exactly it all means and how it effects his schooling. On a positive thought, lets hope this new SALT will prove to be a key to finally get the help you want and a dx for your DS.

Definately ring the SALT tomorrow and start the ball rolling.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x x x

Hi Its very confusing! My sons speech and Lang results put him on the 1st percentile for all of the headings that you have listed, he is 8. He has semmantic Pragmatic disorder. You must get the SALT to make her findings a lot clearer and fully explain what those figures mean to your son and his ability to process language. Don't get down by the numbers, if I took my sons results on face value I would never stop crying!

Good luck >:D<<'>