bluefish

Thomas the tank engine..

Hi just wondered how many of your children are obsessed with Thomas? just wondered as ds studies catalouges and books infact anything thomas.... what is it about Thomas the tank engine?

Hi just wondered how many of your children are obsessed with Thomas? just wondered as ds studies catalouges and books infact anything thomas.... what is it about Thomas the tank engine?

Hi bluefish - don't know if they've reached any conclusions yet but there was actually a research study being done into this...

One of the theories, I know, was that because they are machines and therefore have no 'body language' all of the emotions are exaggerated and highly visual (like emoticons!)... the kids find that far easier to 'connect' with and understand than all of the subtle stuff that goes on with real people.

Also, the fat controller is a very reassuring 'black and white' sort of disciplinarian offering very concrete boundaries and judgements - you're either a 'very useful engine' or a bad engine who needs to work harder/be taught a lesson :)

:D

my ds2 4years is thomas mad, he does every thing thomas.he chuffs every were never walks he talks thomas,he learnt colors and numbers from thomas.he learn how to use the p c /internet because his obsession .he has a pc game called trainz and after watching his uncle down load thomas off the internet one day for him, the next day started downloading and installing all the thomas engines himself .now he drives these engines on his trainz game. he can not read or write ! its very complicated do not no how he does it ,he started doing this at three and a half. :rolleyes:

My daughter, who is 3 next month is also thomas mad, she has so many thomas the tank engines!!! I think it wont be long before there are no others i can get for her!! She will also keep anything with thomas on it(which makes the house a bit of a mess, but when she is not around i can get rid of 1 or 2 of these without her noticing, its just if throw them all that she notices, this is things like magazines, or even the tinyest picture from a magazine, she also has 2 drayton manor leaflets, and she threw it all away except for the thomas part!!) She does love cars aswell but not to the extent of thomas, she has loads of cars but she wont collect magazines of cars or anything like that.

........also, it's very predictable - with the trains on the tracks, the plain backgrounds and the very un-expressive tones of Ringo Starr!

It was M's first obsession. For two years i had to set up the track, each morning, in a certain way - he would then line them up into various groups, and lay on the floor watch the wheels turn in the sunlight.

That is the reason for the involuntary shudder if i hear the theme tune! :lol:

That is the reason for the involuntary shudder if i hear the theme tune! :lol:

Just for you Smiley!!!! :P

There's obviously someting in Thomas, given that the Autism Research Centre used something rather similar in constructing The Transporters specifically for autistic children. The 'about' pages of this lists many of the features common to Thomas the Tank Engine that may be attractive to some autistic children.

I was told that I was obsessed with Thomas the tank engine up until I was 4. Once I got past 4 I got bored of it and moved on to more exciting ones like he-man and thundercats! :thumbs: My obsession after Thomas was dinosaurs though :thumbs:

Its so interesting! It makes sence about the fat controller.. with really useful engines. At one point ds called me Fat controller mummy! and if he would not get in the bath I would use fat controller voice and say" Now little enginge into the wash down", followed by" I am very proud of you!"( thank goodness that stage has passed)

Smiley, I am still setting up elaberate track every day and am now almost a professional!!!! :lol: and my ds also lays on floor and watches the wheels!?!!

Also loves Pingu and pocoyo! when he is very excited he speaks like pingu... nug nug :rolleyes:

ds is 4.5 and shows no sign of getting bored with Thomas!

both my nt boys have loved thomas. No1 nt son, used to know the names, colours and numbers of all the trains, and play with them for hours. No2 nt son lines the trains up beautifully, and we are not allowed near them.

My AS daughter on the other hand, can't stand trains, thomas or boys for that matter! (sometimes I know how she feels)

Harmony x :hypno:

We were talking about this the other day. We think its because they enforce such clear rules.

If an engine does something wrong, the Fat Controller will always tell them off and they then fall back into line.

Personally I think it reeks of anti union overtones...........

My ds#1 was obsessed with Thomas from 18 months old when Harold the Helicopters whirling blades caught his fancy. It lasted till he was 6.

I love Thomas!

Strangely enough when we took him down to York to see the Steam 'Thomas' and friends he was totally unmoved.

My lil boy was obsessed with Thomas for ages ... went off it completely for a couple of months ... then went back to it again!!

He's been repeating that sequence every few months ... at the moment we're on an off stage ... he's moved onto that Popshop that's on Cbeebies ... Gawd i hate them songs!!

My son was obsessed with Thomas. He called him "poop poop" until he was 2, despite being able to say all the other engines names , including the Fat Controller!!!. He had to go to sleep with his engines. Thomas, Percy, Edward (never Gordon - he was evil) . At the age of about 4 he found Transfomers and the rest is history!!!!

I think the moral of the stories are supposed to be simplistic , they are easy for children to understand - good behaviour/bad behaviour - consequences/actions . Also, jealousy/pride. Our children may not be aware of the meaning straight away, but the expressions on the engines faces are (hopefully) easy to learn/understand - happy, sad, angry.

OMG, I'm waffling ... sorry,

Thomas the tank engine is great!! Some of the episodes scared me though as i remember one where the green engine (gordon i think!) was being unco-operative so they bricked him up in a tunnel!!! And that really freaked me out thinkin id be bricked up in cellar or tunnel if i wasnt a good boy!!! Especially as i was being told off and called bad a lot at the time!!!

I became interested in real trains as i became older which has been an on and off obsession even into adult hood.

Thomas the tank engine was my fave show i still watch it know.. What i think it is, is the workings of the engine how the fat controller said your a usefull engine or you a very naughty engine.. Just the fact the adventures where about engines and not people and how the storys where told etc.. I think its a good show for the likes of us.. Its like Look And Read on BBC i was fascinated by the robot which floated and when i was kid had to watch each episode to figure out how it was done.. Obviously im older know and found out but when your aspie kid theres is lots and lots of questions and sometimes we find out on our own cause we dont want to ask somebody what might think its a stupid question.

Thomas the tank engine is great!! Some of the episodes scared me though as i remember one where the green engine (gordon i think!) was being unco-operative so they bricked him up in a tunnel!!! And that really freaked me out thinkin id be bricked up in cellar or tunnel if i wasnt a good boy!!! Especially as i was being told off and called bad a lot at the time!!!

I told you the Green one - Gondon was evil! LOL!!

aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *shudder!*

:lol:

Aww reminds me of him when he was a wee nipper, odd, quirky, bit strange - but cute with it! :wub:

yeah thats how i feel smiley

this makes interesting reading!!!!

joe would make the track and then just lie down and watch the trains wheels as he rocked them back to front - he is now nearly 5 and we are moving onto dinosaurs now

one thing - i saw that someones child said about how he would 'chuff' to school or walk as an engine - joe does this at nursery but the 'professionals' try and tell me that this is showing that joe has imaginative play - is this strictly true or could joe be doing something else?

Both my sons at various stages were into Thomas and as my DH is very technical, he loved going on about single gauge and narrow gauge engines and all the different types of funnels, so now I'm a bit of an expert :rolleyes: .

There was one episode which I really sympathised with. One of the engines bashed a hole in the side of the Fat Controller's house, while Mrs FC was making breakfast. Never mind the whole place was totally destroyed, all she said was, very crossly, 'now I have to make more breakfast'. That would be my response too.

My 7 year old AS son still loves trains and stations. He has memorised the ENTIRE train and tram network, he recognises all the different types of train by look and sound, and when my DH takes him out on train rides, he takes his digital camera and makes littles docos of the journey!

Cheers,

Eva

I once caused a storm in an internet forum by declaring that TTE was sexist because the only female characters in it were the coaches, and all they do is scream and get dragged around by the male engines. I have since learnt that Thomas now has female co-workers, so I stand corrected. :whistle:

Edited by Aeolienne

I was told that I was obsessed with Thomas the tank engine up until I was 4. Once I got past 4 I got bored of it and moved on to more exciting ones like he-man and thundercats!

I used to watch thundercats when I was about 7 - and I also moved on to dinosaurs after Thomas was done with there used to be a weekly mag that I collected where you got pieces of a t-rex to build and 3D pics inside :D

I once caused a storm in an internet forum by declaring that TTE was sexist because the only female characters in it were the coaches, and all they do is scream and get dragged around by the male engines. I have since learnt that Thomas now has female co-workers, so I stand corrected. :whistle:

This made me laugh - has it been redone then? cuz the old one was definitely how you describe - I don't remember any female trains at all...

I was totally addicted to it as a kid - my dad used to "obtain" the series on cassette tapes and I had 2 records too and I used to listen to those over and over - as well as watching it on tv :rolleyes:

i have most of the early series still on my HDD

the videos were trashed dont work anymore, but i managed to find DVD's of the first series that i put onto my computer :)

that jingle still makes me smile :)

Please can I point out Gordon is BLUE.

It is Henry who is GREEN.

The Thomas phase has long passed in this house, but a few thousand re-runs of the videos and re-reads of the books leave these important details imprinted on my mind.

Edited by caci

I'm afraid my son was not at all interested in Thomas. Never caught his attention. And he never played with trains. Quite a few "interventions" were tried by various people using Thomas, and I kept saying "he has no interest in TTE".

Infact "restricted interests and obsessions" was a characteristic that was definately missing from his profile. He liked lots of different stuff [all TV related, not necessarily toys.] The only "toys" he really liked were construction type/lego.

However, now he is older, he has started with gripping obsessions including Star Wars, Transformers etc. The most recent is Pokemon on the Nintendo DS. Fortunately this also seems a 'common' interest, and most of the adults in his current school know all the names of the Pokemon. He keeps training them and "revolving" them [keep having to correct him "it's evolving, not revolving"].

I think he loves these types of games because it is one of the few things he is really good at, and we all like to do stuff we are good at and that makes us feel good.

I'm still amazed at the games he can play on the DS or computer, especially considering he cannot read any of the on screen instructions - he just seems to know what to do!

I'm not sure if this is an ASD thing. A visit to the Railway Museum in York any day of the week will illustrate that point. I think Thomas is just a small child thing (and in some cases a Dad thing as well) for all the different reasons illustrated. I personally enjoyed doing all the Thomas stuff but aren't upset to have moved on, I do miss the steam train rides though.

What's odd with my son, is when they started animating the faces my Son instantly lost interest. I must say, the old non-CGI series were much better IMO. We were gutted as we had hundreds of £'s worth of Thomas toys.

I am still, quite frankly, connected to Thomas. Possibly in a more nostalgic way. I found that the concept of 'fantasy worlds' that looked incredibly real which formed a strong basis to Thomas was important to me. It matched all of the little towns and cities I was creating at the time, on paper or with lego, bringing them into a visual format.

Edited by CEJesson

There are some interesting thoughts here. Firstly the majority of ASD children are boys and do not boys love trains and cars? One could ask... which came first, the boy or the train obsession? Even normally developing boys love trains and cars, so where do we draw the line between autism and maleness? Research has shown that there is a link between the thomas characters and acceptance in terms of those characters faces. One thing to appreciate is that there is a possible link between the ASD child's face processing (human faces) and social interaction and therefore, having these static engine faces suits them well. It is believed that ASD individuals take in the minute detail of faces, e.g. notice eyes, mouth, nose, ears etc but never process them as a whole and struggle to therefore see the meaning in a facial expression. Not suprising our children cannot understand someone's mood if they cannot process the whole facial expression! All in all, if your child loves this programme, let them and perhaps, sit with them (if you can) and explain each expression so that they have the opportunity to transfer it in to real life and skills in reading others x

I prefer steam engines - there's one or two in Wales I've been on as a kid - great fun, I think one of them was what part of the original books was based on - something vague in my memory about twins as well - its been a long time since I cared so the memory is hazy :D

The other week, he was sat with his Grandad looking at a steam train magazine. He said 'Diesel', and FIL told him that he'd looked and there weren't any diesel's in it. A said 'No, diesel!' and pointed - he'd only managed to find one!

I've bought him this for Christmas http://www.mandco.com/character-clothing/thomas-the-tank-engine-t-shirt/invt/3120686red/

My lad is getting 'Day of the Diesels' for his Christmas. He does love Thomas but goes through spates of wanting to watch lots of it and then he goes off it for a bit. He won't watch the older programmes though as he seems to prefer the CGI ones. :D