Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

what beds you have for your kids?

hi guys

as ive redone my sons bedroom to try and create calming room....ive just got rid of his metal bunk beds-that made such a racket-and took up half the room and got in the way........plus when he was in meltdown mode they were a hazzard really.

so im looking to get a single bed now..............ive been in one bed shop and my plan was originally to get a plain bed with divan base..............

since woman in shop talked to me ive got all confuesed now which would be best........

there a re some metal ones that dont rock or make noise-built better..........she said these were stronger than divan ones.........

then theres wooden type ones but she pointed out he could draw on them and dent the wood and wreck it.........

i was thinking better to steer clear of metal again ..............but now have doubts..........because i have 2 boys and they play rough they could easy bang there heads on the metal ...but i guess would be same with wood...............so i was thinking plain divan type....but wondered about them putting them through??

i looked at matteress as well and she had some with no springs in ........and un bouncable which looked good and would never have to worry about springs again...........also less noise of bed.....

my son rocks in bed and the other bunk beds we had made a right racket.........i got bunk beds when he was little before i relised he was asd.........so i made mistake there ....

so thought id ask what beds you have for your kids?

A double bed (moves around in her sleep and we need to go in with her when she wakes!) with very low wooden base (mobility problems) and a memory foam mattress (mummy and daddy have bad backs and end up in her bed most nights :whistle::lol:)

We are regretting that the base protrudes beyond the mattress as the corners are sharp and we have to cover them and the edges in foam roll. :oops:

A x

A double bed (moves around in her sleep and we need to go in with her when she wakes!) with very low wooden base (mobility problems) and a memory foam mattress (mummy and daddy have bad backs and end up in her bed most nights :whistle::lol:)

We are regretting that the base protrudes beyond the mattress as the corners are sharp and we have to cover them and the edges in foam roll. :oops:

A x

ahhhh yes thats what im thinking of the base of the bed sticking out -and headboard...thats why was thinking of divan type....i guess its swings and roundabouts.......just thought id ask before buying? >:D<<'>

yes my son has mobiltiy issues he would never of been able to use the top bunk ...or even share his room with his brother..........i didnt know all this when i got the bunk beds...........back when he was very small..........and hindsight should not of got meatl or ones that didnt dettach from each other :rolleyes:

Edited by rainbow queen

How about a really basic futon?

Or even one of those chair beds that folds out which are basically foam blocks?

And on the bunk-bed thing - don't worry about making the mistake there - I still fall out of the top bunk even if it has railings!! :lol: :lol:

I once bought Bill a futon thinking it would last longer than a bed (how silly of me) and that during the day it could fold up into a chair and give him more floor space. It lasted 2 days before it was in bits!

I've recently bought a bed for my spare room. It's a metal frame ( a very attractive one) and really sturdey with no jutting bits for anyone to get hurt. It came with a mattress and the whole lot cost me only �100. I ordered it off the internet and it was delivered free the next day and took about 5 minutes to put together (although it needs two people). If you want the website I got it off let me know and I'll pm you.

Flo' X

I once bought Bill a futon thinking it would last longer than a bed (how silly of me) and that during the day it could fold up into a chair and give him more floor space. It lasted 2 days before it was in bits!

Oops. Ok, scrap my suggestion. I don't have kids. :lol:

My son has big metal bunk bed where the bottom bunk folds out onto almost a double bed, this bit also converts into a kind of sofa, so great if he has friends over.

I find with my son it hardly never moves and he can't move it, every bed he's had before this he has been able to move. He sleeps on the bottom bit and I think he feels safe there as he has the top bunk on top so it's all dark and cosey!! The only prob we have is him banging on my bedroom wall to wake me when he wakes up, lol

My daughter has a wooden mid sleeper with cupboards underneath, she has drawn over it, jumps up and down on it etc.............she's more of a pain on her bed than my son is on his!!

Hi Rainbow Queen,

Our asd daughter has a divan base bed - queen size I think it's called - it's 4ft - mainly because her room wasn't quite big enough for a double but a single was too small for me to get in with her (which was quite often when she was younger) as she didn't like being too squashed so I end up right on the edge of he bed!!

We did try a metal bed first but after a while they do get noisy when trying to sneak back off it - and also the edge was a bit uncomfortable to lie on.

The divan has been much quieter and more level - however because she now has laminate floors - we've had to fold up some corregated cardboard under each wheel to stop the bed moving all the time.

Good luck and take care,

Jb

my eldest son (who has PDA) has wooden bunk beds. They do not squeak or anything, but he has eaten/ bit all the edges on the top bunk where he sleeps, and it looks a right mess! Although if wood parts are covered by sheets/quilt/ blankets etc perhaps this would not be a problem for you.

This is a interesting topic and one I should have asked a few months ago. My son (14) had a mental high sleeper which was very noisy. He started to refuse to sleep in it and would sleep on the floor. Then he began to sleep on a chair bed (one of those foam ones) and he loved it, but I didn't think it was any good for his back. Recently I have just got him a wooden/lamentated kinda bed that is like a cabin bed and it has draws and shelves for his bits. He loved it at first but has complained about the edges being annoying but I think my son just hates beds he would sleep in a tent or a mattress on the floor if he could. Unfortuatley his room is to small or I would just have a tent up all the time.

Edited by purplehaze

reece has a wooden bed with storage space underneath but many a time i find him asleep on his floor with his duvet over him lol

so not much help lol

love donnaaxxxxxxxxx

I got J bunkbeds, robust wooden ones, for when a friend stays or I need to be nearer him when he is unsettled, we invested in some very expensive matteressess, because J has sensory difficulties, and he is very underweight, so needs extra cusioning, but really now I wished I had of paid for a queen bed, the quater beds, bigger than a single, but not as big as a double, I think this is the best idea, I have one, and they are great, I would encourage you to look into quality mattressess and you can get the toppers now, that moulds to your body shapes, getting J one in the near future, they have got cheaper lately, but personally I would go with the idea of a quater queen bed with a good matteress.

JsMum

This is a interesting topic and one I should have asked a few months ago. My son (14) had a mental high sleeper which was very noisy. He started to refuse to sleep in it and would sleep on the floor. Then he began to sleep on a chair bed (one of those foam ones) and he loved it, but I didn't think it was any good for his back. Recently I have just got him a wooden/lamentated kinda bed that is like a cabin bed and it has draws and shelves for his bits. He loved it at first but has complained about the edges being annoying but I think my son just hates beds he would sleep in a tent or a mattress on the floor if he could. Unfortuatley his room is to small or I would just have a tent up all the time.

How about a Bed Tent?

Until we moved house 2 years ago my two girls shared a room in single beds (wooden ones). When we moved we had to chuck Ns as it was falling to bits (admittedly it was 2nd hand when we got it) due to her restlessness. We had never dared have bunk beds before this as she couldn't manage the ladder, however a few months before we moved she mastered our friend's daughter's bunk bed ladder as it was an angled one rather than straight up. Therefore we got them mid-sleepers when we moved so they are not as high up as they would be in a bunk bed and they have some space of their own, plus Ns has a desk, bookcase and chest of drawers underneath. It is a wooden one and is now just over two years old and has had to have its screws tightened a few times as she bounces around on it so much :rolleyes:

My friend's youngest has metal bunk beds and they are really noisy - whenever the person in it moves it creaks!