Sign in to follow this  
shell

tamazipan

my 6 year old is on tamazipan and has been for 2 years the doctor says it will help with his consintration only now have i found out that you can get addicted to it.

surly the doctor should have told me about this before priscribing it to him am now worried about giving it to him.

it's not working now as he is not sleeping as much as he was abd his behavior is getting worse

i need help any ideas ;)

Hi Shell,

Tamazepam is addictive and also it's effects decrease with continued use, that's probably why your little man's not sleeping.

I don't really know about using it for concentration, so can't comment on that, all i know is that it is used to aid sleeping.

Was this a GP or Paediatrician that prescribed it?

If i were you i would get an appointment ASAP to discuss it with them. Don't suddenly stop the medication without talking to the Doctor first, you could do more damage.

Loulou x

hello there i havent posted for such along time i do pop in and see you all once in a while ! but this shocked me i thought Tamazepam had been banned i know there are a few offshoots like nitrazepam and a few others but the im sure the use of Tamazepam was banned as it is highly addictive i was in the care industry at the time and remember having to change all the meds Tamazepam will do nothing for concentration it is purley a sleeping tablet if your child is on this medication i suggest you go back to your GP or Paed immediatley do not stop the meds straight away go back to your DR and get advice on weaning them off it good luck you have really shocked me though :blink:

Hi

I was surprised that such a young child would be presecibed a drug like this. Can I ask what it's prescribed for - depression, ADHD, AS, sleep control, for concentration?

I'm no expert, but my son takes risperidone to control aggressive behaviours connected to his AS, and I have read a lot about the common medications for AS (and also for ADHD) - I have never heard of tamazepam in this context.

Can you give us a bit more information about your son's problems, and who prescribed for him?

Elanor

steven has AS ADHD and also only sleeps for about 3 hours a night it was given to him by our GP because the pead sugested ritalin but my GP does not belive in it for children under 8

You may wish to speak to your paed about melationin. It has far fewer side effects that tamazepan, which doesn't seem like the sort of drug that should be given to a child this young.

Simon

Hiya shell you know i was shocked about the T. and youve had some good advice here, and to everyone else, steven is a human tornado, he really does need help to calm down so maybe thats why the severity of his meds but i agree its not perfect, but shell had to get a private dx for steven and doesnt get much paed support.

thanks for all the advice :thumbs: but as niki says i don't get any pead support they wont help as i went private for stevevs dx the last pead i saw was 6 months ago and he was more concerned by my mental health as i had suffered with depression a few years ago :wallbash: i have made an appointment with my GP and will keep you informed as to what he says

I was really shocked to hear your boy had been prescribed Temazepam.

I know that a lot of the 'pams' are highly addictive and have seen the effects of withdrawls (on an adult) Intrestingly this person is quite a manic hyper sort and the particular 'pam' had the reverse effect on her, which led to her abusing it and practically overdosing at times, hence the addiction.

Sorry, i know thats probably too much information, but please be very careful!!