taran0

Engaging young people using 3d Technologies

hi

dunno if anyone ever brought this up but I did a search on the forum and nothing came up so here it is. I work as a 3d Visualiser for an architect and an interior designer, and in my spare time i make my own 3d games, and I have always been fascinated by 3D digital modelling and design as long as i can remember. I always had problems at school, not understanding or losing interest, I had problems with pages of text and information in tables etc. but show me a 3d environment or a computer game and I could master every level.

My interest in games and computers led to me getting employed in the field related to 3d and game technology.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen the benefits of using 3D for engaging young people with autism spectrum disorders. aloowing them to explore environments they wouldn't usually go to , or experience larger environments in a more safe way, or design and explore their creativity

I have been looking at my own son who is 3 and is a lot like me and how I will be able to motivate and engage with him as he gets older. These are some ideas I?ve been thinking about.

SKETCHUP

There is software called Sketchup which is really easy to learn how to use 3d package, designed to be so easy even a kid could pick it up. We use this package at the architects to mass out buildings and during concept design phase.

see a house made with sketchup

there have been loads of reports that children with autism are benefiting from playing with this software and creating 3d objects and environments.

They have even setup a PROJECT SPECTRUM, with lesson plans for parents and teachers.

"Project Spectrum was developed by the SketchUp Team at Google to help people with autism take advantage of their visual and spatial gifts.

The idea for Project Spectrum originated when we began getting phone calls and emails from users telling us about how much kids on the autism spectrum were enjoying SketchUp. As the calls kept coming in, we learned that people with autism tend to be visually and spatially gifted?that, in fact, they think in pictures. When people with these gifts get their hands on powerful, easy-to-use 3D design software like SketchUp, sparks tend to fly."

Children with Autism Architect Their Ideas Using 3D Design Software <---checkout the link and the video.

GAME WORKSHOPS

The other thing that I think would be really useful for engaging the older children would be Game workshops, where rather then Playing games all the time they can get involved in making their own game. I have done a few games workshops with young teenagers and they all seem to really enjoy it. What we do is get an existing game engine and teach the kids to make their own game level and character. Its really great Fun and the look on the kids when they can walk around their own creation is awesome.

Immersive environments and vr are great tools for letting young people practise creativity and also work through real world situations in real time.

I?m currently doing my masters and am studying how computer games can be used to visualise and test the performance and experience of buildings. I recently created an entire island in 3D (so that whenever i feel i need to get away i can retire to my own private island and explore the trees and hills heeheehehhehehe!) :rolleyes:

my island

PAPERCRAFT

This is a great one and really great fun my son loves it.

Paper craft is like origami and you print out the designs on card cut them out and glue them together to create a 3d model from it My son is mad about finding Nemo so I got a finding Nemo paper craft sheet and we both put it together.

photo of the paper nemo we made

You can get loads of things to make, and I have even started to make my own paper crafts, from 3d models I make on the computer. They range from very simple to very complicated. I recommend getting a cutting board, craft knife for older kids, safety scissors for younger kids, and a safe quick drying glue like uhu.

Here are some links

http://s-waka.com/paper/works.html

epson papercraft page

MINDMAPPING

finally i was thinking of mind mapping, this has been the most essential tool that i have found in the past few years. any project or work that i do i will use mind mapping software to create a mindmap. i find it so easy to organise my ideas and thoughts and its easy to add change and update.

i use a program called mindjet mindmanager but you can try a free trial online one called

heres an example of a mindmap

example of what a mindmap looks like

i hope you can see the images because i can't seem to see them in my browser

Hi Taran0 - Image posting is disabled on the forum, which is why you can't see your pics! We also have a rule about direct links to commercial websites, which is why a couple of your links have been removed. I have left the links to the origami sites and google sketchup, as these both offer freebies that aren't 'time limited' or otherwise directly linked to commercial products. A link to our rules and guidelines can be found at the top of the forum header bar for future reference. Hope that helps. - BD

ohh! sorry man, just like me to jump in without reading the instructions first! hehehehheee! ive changed the images to links.... - taran

Edited by taran0

Fascinating...many thanks for all the info....I think that you have something there...will look into these sites you have listed for more info. Funnily enough we have a teacher who tutors from home in our area and he believes in 3d learning with maths...so am thinking about signing up my son as at present he is way behind academically..but he is only 6 so not too worried at the mo.....give me time..aaagh

maria