Stephanie

Scouts/cadets/clubs??? for my AS Son

Hi my son is 7 and high functioning.

I would like him to join a group/club to give him a new interest and occupy his time (at this point he is not keen but once he starts I know he would like it!).

He is very structured and disciplined, not so hot on athletic stuff but he is very intelligent and logical. He has friends at school etc and is able to make friends easily (although I don't know what they think of him! lol). He follows instructions really well, is well behaved and motivated. He would look cute in a uniform!

Any advice on:-

What groups allow kids with ASD's? Do you have to tell them your child has special needs?

What kind of groups would be suitable.

Things he might like/might not like.

I don't know anything about scouts/cubs etc but I thought something like that would be good for him.

If anyone has any experience or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

You will have to talk to your nearest group ours wouldnt take J because they didnt have extra help or experience but my friends lad (asd) goes to cubs in another town.

Hi, I think scouts/cubs sounds ideal for him, of course you would have to share confidential information with the leader, and you would have to consider the fact that they do go camping! and that would involve overnight stays, could he cope with this? My son loved it, unfortunately his behaviour lately has led me to withdraw him for now, but for a long time he coped with it brilliantly, although he wouldnt do the overnight camps, and I attended as many activities as possible, ie; walks, hikes, etc so that i could be on hand, but if your son is well behaved and likes routines, he should be fine, and they DO look cute in the uniforms! Enid.

My boy is an enthusiastic scout. Try a search on this forum, the topic has been covered several times, and scouts have an inclusion policy.

I know that we have a student that posts here called mumble rocks who is very involved and recently did a lovely information video that she created.

Search!

when he is older say about 13 he could go to sea/air/army cadets or even police cadets

:thumbs:

I tried scouts for my son 2 years back, he didn't like it as it was very physical (he hates sports and would ferment on the PC/ nintendo all day if I let him). Also it was very noisy, they were willing to take him as another little boy with Autism attended. In the end we gave it a miss, he does trampolining now.

My son, 11 AS has just joined scouts. He loves it. I love the fact scouts are inclusive, and my son loves the structure of it. Scouts is not full of streetwise kids. Although they earn badges it is not overly competitive. Depends on the child. My son loves it and it is good for him. Our scouts have let him do a few weeks free of charge so no outlay.

I think that it is question of finding a particular group/pack that feels right for your child, so it might be worth visiting - although some have huge waiting lists where we are.

There is Woodcraft folk on Tuesday in Ashford Stephanie, that I take my two along to. It prides itself on being inclusive. Email me if you want to know more.

http://www.woodcraft.org.uk/

Hello!!

Sorry I have only just seen this I really dont know why I missed it but I did! :( Sorry again

As Bard said I have heavly involved in Scout as a Young Leader (a leader but under 18) in Beavers, Cubs and Scouts as well as an Explorer Scout myslef. I belong to a special needs group. Its a group that is known in district for a more inclusive style of scouts. As a group we have a WIDE variety of SEN from Prader-Willi Syndrome, various ASD's and a host of medical conditions that require special attention as well as AD(H)D the list can go on and on and on!!

The best thing to do would be to find out what district (area) you come under with this information you will be able to contact the District Commisioner (DC) who will be able to suggest a group which might be more suitable then others! And take my word for it some groups are ALOT better then others on SEN!!

I dont know how much you know about Scouts but there is a stucture to scouts and some groups enforce this more then others! For our group we (leaders) look at a couple of badges that we would like the young people to achieve in that term and by looking at the badge cirteau we make our programme around that! This programme gets given to the young people just before we break up- so the summer term got given out the last evening of the spring term. As a group we love games or should that be the young people like games! These can get exsesive in noise volume (normally meaning I go and do something outside the hall!) Although during summer we are out Kayaking or sailing quite alot, and other nights games are outside.

This would help as your son can get to see Scouts in a least overloading environment i.e. if they are out and about more!

One thing, I dont want this to sound wrong so apology in advance I would say that leaders appreciate being told the full story and dx. This isnt so we can exculde them more the oppersite we can include more if we know what we are up against!

I hope this makes sense! If you need some help finding your district ect give me a shout via PM and I would be more then happy to help you out!

Some Children's Centre's run groups for children over 5 years children deemed 'in need' ( and children with disabilities are under s17 children act 1989) in order to promote their development and prevent social exlusion. My son was offered a place at one for up to 13 years old but refused to go ( what a surprize!!) So I don't know what it was like, I was told they did games, computers, usual youth club type activities. It might be worth looking into as a gentle introduction to social activities.

My son refuses to any sort of social club/group at all, usually looking extremely puzzled at why on earth he would want to go and telling me I can go if I'm so keen!!!

juney