ogsplosh

how long did it take for you to get a diagosis?

Anyone explain why our dd who is now 7 and been under pead for 3yrs hasnt done any formal assessments as we feel she has ASD but the pead only considers the view of the school.

Do some pead wait to see if children midley affected out grow immaturites - just looking for reasons why were still waiting.

DS was only referred when I mentioned I had read that there may be links between Aspergers and his bowel problems ,they werent aware of any links apparently, I told them they should google more ;0) I get the feeling they are doing it to prove me wrong more than anything :0(

My DS's school dont have any concerns with him as they have far worse behaved 'normal' children there to deal with (thats probably not the right way to put it but you know what I mean :oops: ) the school nurse was supposed to be helping me by doing something in January ,it is now June and I'm still waiting, I think its not a problem to them as they dont have to live with it .I am at my wits end tbh :wallbash:

Edited by madmumof5

12 months. My health visitor was not very good. She missed our son and two more, all on the spectrum, all severe.

I think it all depends on their behavours. Our son didn't have any of the traits. I even asked one doctor was it autism and was told no.

A very long time! I fought dd1's corner all through first school but they ignored my concerns, middle school not much better. Got the "social/communication disorder with autistic like behaviour" label after doing the DISCO at age 11. At age 12 camhs pysch 'suggested' several labels including ASD, PDD NOS, atypical autism. Dd1 has had a statement for the last year...was a long time coming and they refused to assess the first time.

I was diagnosed privately last year at the age of 35. I'm still not happy with dd1's 'labels' , she is much further down the spectrum from me, has many more difficulties and I do wonder if she will ever be independent.

Bikergal how did you go about getting yourself diagnose cos my other half is convinced ive also got OCD n Aspergers but ive never seen anyone bout it.

Bikergal how did you go about getting yourself diagnose cos my other half is convinced ive also got OCD n Aspergers but ive never seen anyone bout it.

To go privately I contacted the NAS and they gave me a list of people qualified to diagnose in my part of the country. I ended up going to the Autism Research Centre in Cambridge. My diagnosis was actually a bit of a shock for me as I just thought I had traits! My daughter's psych suggested I look into diagnosis for myself. I think it's difficult to get anywhere with the nhs...

To go privately I contacted the NAS and they gave me a list of people qualified to diagnose in my part of the country. I ended up going to the Autism Research Centre in Cambridge. My diagnosis was actually a bit of a shock for me as I just thought I had traits! My daughter's psych suggested I look into diagnosis for myself. I think it's difficult to get anywhere with the nhs...

Thanks for the info-id not really thought bout it till my lad started going to all his appointments n stuff they were saying about sounded like myself too itms.