Dummie

Days Out - Prices for disabled

Hello There

I've just noticed that the farm/adventure park I'm planning on taking DS tomorrow offers lower admission prices for disabled persons and their carers. How do you 'qualify' for these prices and do you need to provide 'evidence'?

I'm not sure but I think that you would need to take evidence of you DLA award if you get it. have you rung them to ask what they would need to see

Someone correct me if I'm wrong thats fine

Edited by kellyanne

Quite a lot of places offer discounts for disabled and sometimes carers. Sometimes they ask for letter from DLA, sometimes they ask for proof of carers, other times they want to see a blue badge. It's always best to give them ring first.

N has a Blue Badge but we have yet to show it on a day out as she is always in her Major Buggy when we visit such places so it's fairly obvious she is disabled.

Having said that, we went on holiday a few weeks ago and one place we visited had nothing about disabled prices on their board by the ticker office and when my husband paid for the tickets he was pushing N and as the man who gave us the tickets didn't say anything we assumed they didn't do reductions. After we had left, I was looking at a leaflet of the place which N had picked up I read that a carer goes free for every disabled person :angry:

Places vary though as several years ago (long before we got a Blue Badge) we went to the Sealife centre and the lady automatically charged her as disabled and I went free as her carer without needing proof or with us saying.

If in doubt, or if you do not have a Blue Badge, then I agree with the others and phone first.

Usually there's a discount for disabled and sometimes they can enter for free; and often, one carer per disabled (we have 2 in the family) goes for free. What we've realized, too, is that often the special discounts for the disabled are NOT on display at the ticket booth so you have to ask for it explicitly.

I like to go to the theatre /concerts with my DD. I can book over the phone( no booking charge) Aand I've never been asked for proof when collecting tickets. It's the one 'perk' of being a carer of a person with ASD....2 for the price of 1. ...or at least where I live

We took advantage of this a lot when JP was little, & we were never once asked for proof. Like others have said though best err on the side of caution & be prepared to.

I have also got in free as a carer at many places. I always take the DLA paperwork with me just in case, but have never had to show it. I always go prepared and ask anyway, just in case. Even the local swimming pool let me in free as a carer.

We have an annual pass - you get a free carer's pass which is interchangeable so the grandparents can take them! We don't have DLA as havent applied but we just produced the dx letter. You also qualify for an exit pass if you produce evidence at Guest Services- saves the agro of the queues when it is really busy.