Sign in to follow this  
star

Help in school

What help would a child expect to get in reception/ first school?

Just wondered what you experiences where? Would be very grateful to hear them.

Although my son is not diagnosed he is showing imaturities interacting with classmates and although he is getting more social I am watching carefully to see how things progress.

If he did ever have a diagnosis it would probably be aspergers (as he had no speech delay).

Anyway, he is on school action register and they are currently helping him with speech sounds (clarity issues) as he did have speech therapy when younger but his sounds improved so much that he just has help in school now rather than with SALT as they signed him off. The teaching assistants in school are also aiming to help him make initial social interactions during free play settings . The school think he is coming on socially but needs adult help at the moment. He is 5.

Generally is he is doing really well at school. His behavior is very good, he is "sociable", he is also very able and ahead in english and maths. He had a glowing review at the last parents meeting and also has no worries about changes of routine .

Given this I just wondered if he is likely to get further help with a diagnosis or whether it would be similar to what he is getting in a school setting.

Thank you for replying. I appreciate your expeiences.

What makes you feel that a dx of Asperger's might be made? What behaviour is he demonstrating that you feel matches with an ASD?

What makes you feel that a dx of Asperger's might be made? What behaviour is he demonstrating that you feel matches with an ASD?

Mainly as he is finding it difficult to initiate conversations and friendships at the moment.

His facial expression are fairly limited too as although he is does show upset, happy he doesn't seem to do a big natural smile like my daugher or have as many facial expressions as she does to convay different emotions. His eye contact is probably not as good as his sister although he does give reasonable eye contact.

Maybe it is because he is very advanced like the teacher says and his development is at different paces say for social and then cognitive?

Am not sure. He is probably very borderline as he copes well with school life and is a model pupil and at home he is good generally. He doesn't have meltdowns or unusual behavior as such. Is not bothered by changes of routine and lots of the other broader traits of AS do not apply to him but the main traits that could possibly are social interaction, less strong on non verbal signals such as facial expression and perhaps eye contact.

How normal these differences are in 5 year old boys I don't know as many of his peers seem fairly difficult too!!

I'd wait and see then, he sounds very typical of many 5 year old boys, in the mismatch of social skills and academic ability.

I'd also watch his peers and see if you can spot the gap with them too, as although you are already an experienced parent, boys are different to girls in my experience.

It sounds as if his school are very switched on, which is a good thing, and maybe he does have AS. I'm sure that together you will work it out.