Sign in to follow this  
annie

Emergency Statement Review yesterday

This may be long so I apologise :wacko:

After involving our MP, IPSEA and anybody else we could get my hands on, you would have thought that our school and the LEA would realise that we were not going to be pushed around any more. They obviously hadn't heard of IPSEA until yesterday, and boy do they know about them now :devil:

Alex's Head of Year who's son we complained to the LEA (he was Alex's LSA) about previously walked into the meeting looking so confident that she would be able to intimidate Alex, how wrong was she? she proceeded to dig her own grave and we really enjoyed watching her do it. At one point the lady from IPSEA actually said to her, "you really have no understanding at all of Alex's difficulties do you?"

IPSEA tore the school and the LEA to pieces. We proved that they had ALL lied on several occasions. On the school report that was submitted for the meeting it had the results of Alex's spelling and reading tests. IPSEA asked for the dates that these tests were carried out. Answer - 2 & 3 years ago. He has not been tested since. On another part of the report it stated that Alex had been off school because of suspensions, absence and holidays. IPSEA pointed out that the 'holiday' was because Alex had tried to kill himself and we put in written permission to take him out of school on medical grounds which was approved in writing by the Head. They tried to blame the 'office' on that one, but couldn't. IPSEA explained that as it was written in black and white it was misleading. The report also said that NO disapplication is needed. IPSEA had to explain what disapplication was and had a long list of her suggestions. No outside professional advice had been sought by the school despite the obvious problems....and so it went on.

The LEA knew 2-3 weeks ago that we and Alex felt that the placement had broken down. Parent Partnership had even got the ball rolling with home tuition paid for by the LEA and agreed by them. At the meeting the LEA denied knowing anything about it. We had also requested that Alex continue in the Princes Trust and music. This was agreed but had to be ok'd by the school. Again, the LEA denied knowing anything about it. :wallbash:

So, the meeting was adjourned until after Easter. Even though nothing was put in place we were so pleased with the way the meeting went. It proved everything that we had been saying the whole time. (IPSEA said afterwards that we have a huge case for discrimination).

Then comes today. The phone rings at 2.30pm, it was the school to say that Alex was not allowed to go with the Princes Trust to the England v Scotland rugby match tomorrow. They said that because he has not been in school he was not insured. The reason he has not been in school is because he has depression due to the fact that school has been hell (we have doctors letters supporting this). He has been going to Princes Trust (in school grounds, but away from school) because the staff are understanding and supportive. Alex was devestated. He was saying "why do the school keep on doing this to me?" It was a simple case of spite for what had happened at the meeting. I spoke to our MP's PA who called the head. Guess what? Alex can go to Twickenham tomorrow. So it was obviously nothing to do with insurance.

We've been to see our MP tonight in person. He was furious. The cabinet minister for Education wrote a letter to the LEA after our last meeting saying that the situation was 'unacceptable'. It has turned out that the LEA have even lied to the cabinet minister, so she is being contacted again to follow up once more.

I have told the MP that I am more than willing to go public with all of this which he has noted.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

The only good news is that Alex will be playing tag rugby before the England v Scotland match tomorrow and will be in the guard of honour as the players come onto the pitch, Our video is at the ready :D

Annie

:wacko::wacko:

Annie

Congratulations on standing your ground so well.

I think you have illustrated the importance of taking someone with you to these reviews, as it makes it so much harder to be fobbed off.

You are evidently articulate, organised and not afraid to make connections and stand your ground. Despite all this the LEA have sent you and your son to hell and back. :angry::angry::angry:

It is frightening to think how badly children must fare if they have parents who are unable to stand their ground so well.

Best of luck with the follow-up meeting.

Simon

It must have been satisfying to see the culprits skewered though! :lol:

Simon,

It scares me too that these people can succeed in intimidating others.

Alex summed everything up when we came out of the meeting. He said "Mum, it was great watching them all squirm"...........priceless :D

Annie

PS I was very shy until a few years ago :ninja:

I really hope that you end off nailing this bu****s to the mast Annie. There are some really nasty people in life. :angry:

Carole

Ps if you were shy until a few years ago you must now know that shy kids get no cake :D

Jan,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Carole,

Nails are at the ready and I'm not afraid to use them :devil:

All of this leaves us adults feeling totally drained, I cannot begin to imagine how our children feel.

Annie

Annie,

Just wanted to say, I'm sorry you are having such a tough fight, it shouldn't have to be like this. You are doing a brilliant job. Don't forget to reward yourself...a big bar of chocolate or a bottle of wine, or both!! You deserve a treat.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Well done Annie and Alex :thumbs::dance:

But so very sorry that you've had to go through such a terrible time >:D<<'>

I do hope Alex's educational provision is sorted out properly very soon.

Bid :wacko:

Nellie,

Thanks to you, the fantastic supportive people on this forum and of course Alex I have kept going. :notworthy::notworthy:

I think I know of one LEA and school who will be wary from now on.........I hope so anyway :devil: I got the impression from the meeting that they had never actually been challenged before, oh well, there's always a first time for everything. :ninja:

I'm off to have a coffee and some choccy, medicinal reasons of course ;) I'll save the wine for tonight.

annie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Bid,

Thank you >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I know that things are still not resolved, but to know that such unprofessional people who we are supposed to trust to 'teach' our kids are being caught out in all directions gives me such pleasure :devil: . Alex enjoyed watching everbody who had intimidated him in the past get intimidated themselves. It's worth it just to see Alex's face.

Annie

Im glad to hear of your good news. It would teach the Lea to be named and shamed in the press local and national. There are so many leas who take the mick. Those of us able to fight succeed but in the process we have to suffer so much stress as do our children. Those whose parents are fobbed off or no longer have the strength are left suffering. I would love to name and shame our lea who behaved appallingly as did my sons old school - lies and the rubbish they come up with to save money and protect their reputations. It seems so common that every lea must be doing it. Perhaps im just so cynical now having been through the system. See my post re lea ed pschys - there must be good ones just none ive met so far!

They should bring back hanging for LEA & school staff who lie.............. :bat:

You should be so proud of yourself....one nil to the parents!!!!

Treat yourself to a few bottles of stella and a family size dairy milk!!!!

well done you!!!! :thumbs:

Cheers admum and Yorkie >:D<<'>

Quick update.

Still haven't got the date of the meeting (last one 17th March). I wrote a letter to the LEA and the school last week asking for the new meeting details ASAP (school holidays not helping there though).

We've had a fourth letter from our MP asking for an update.

We had a call yesterday from a Cabinet Minister for Education (our local Councillor contacted her after we contacted him). She took the names of the school SENCO and LEA SEN officer and wants us to contact her direct next week if we are still waiting.

The local Councillor told us last week that he had a copy of the letter that the Cabinet Minister (see above) had written to the LEA saying that what was going on was 'unacceptable'. They had replied to her saying that they were in contact with us trying to resolve the situation. We told him that if one meeting that had been adjouned was 'contact' then fair enough. He was going to get back onto the Cabinet Minister to tell her. but said that she wouldn't be happy.

So, still waiting. I'm not feeling stressed anymore about it all. IPSEA have helped take a huge weight off my shoulders. The upcoming election is helping too :devil:

To be continued...........yet again :ninja:

Annie

XX