does anyone know about the possible medications to help me sleep. i get very anxious before i go to bed and it can take 10 hours for me to settle down in bed, i just keep sitting up all the time because i dont want to sleep, no matter how tired i am. when i do fall asleep i wake up all the time at the slightest noise, or because i feel like my brain is twisting(!) or my legs are moving, or i feel like i'm dropping, crashing into something or falling out of bed. i also talk and walk in my sleep. i've been to the doctors about this many times pre-diagnoiss for AS, but they just say i need to learn to relax! i can't take over the counter sleeping tablets as they make me hyper, as i fight the urge to sleep so much. i'm wary of asking my GP about this again as at the moment i dont have one who doesn't think i'm making everything up. if i can find out a bit about my options i might stand a better chance of getting some treatment - i had to see 5 doctors to locate one who even knew what AS was.

Melatonin can help. It is a hormone which is released by the brain when it is time to sleep, but it can go a bit haywire in autism. Bach's Rescue Remedy might help with the restlessness and racing thoughts.

This can sometimes be the result of mental health problems like depression or anxiety, and occasionally can be caused by antidepressants.

Do you have a good bed-time routine that helps you to wind down before bed?

I'm sure you've heard this one but have you tried lavender essential oil drops on your pillow?...Even if it doesn't help it sure smells nice.

I have been using Valerian tablets (2 a night) and have had six hours sleep every night since February. It has made a huge difference.

Yoyo