ScienceGeek

Citalopram for anxiety?

So I just had an appointment with my GP, she has changed me over from diazepam to citalopram for the anxiety, diazepam was having more side effects than benefits. My problem is feeding on itself, anxiety/stress is heightening my sensory problems which then makes the anxiety/stress worse and so on until things get to the point where they are now as the GP says on the verge of a severe mental breakdown. :unsure: I hate how it takes so long to see anybody from the mental health team, 1 month just to see the triage person who then has to refer on to the actual mental health team! :wallbash: It feels like everything is spiralling out of control and nobody truly wants to help. :tearful:

Hi SG,

I was on Citalopram towards the end of 2006, just a low dose, for constant anxiety.

I did find it very helpful, and was really surprised as I'd forgotten what it felt like not to be anxious all the time!

The only side effect I had was some nausea when I first stared taking the it, but it didn't last for long.

Good luck, and hope it helps you >:D<<'>

Bid :)

im on cilatropram for anxiety too and its really help me,40 mg once a day,its my little life saver,dread to think what i be like without them!!good luck sg

ive been on i for 6 weeks now has really help i was crying all the time and drinking alot more than i should but am feeling alot better now goodluck sg

love donnaxxxxx

i used to be on cilatropram and olanzpine together and found it worked very well for me...........

i was since took off and moved onto just mitazipine and have gone downhill since-took me till now to be seen at mht as i had to get reffered again through gp.............

then ive had to be weaned of this mitazpine -until im on nothing-which i feel is disgracefull as ive hardly slept for 2 weeks -im due back this wed...........and i want to be put back on mood stabiliser as cant cope with nothing and lieing awake all night worrying about everything.......plus i been having like panic attacks over things.........

he mentioned something called valporate or something ....ive tryed a varity of things.....im not dx asd but my son is but i feel i have similar traits with dealing with things ect and social probs.

idealy i would like nothing ...but reality is i think i need something as my moods swing back and too....plus depends on dealings with my son as they impact me when hes having a hard time.

have you looked at some other forums that tell you about different meds sometimes thats helpfull..

i know how you feel about nobody wanting to help...........

best of luck take care

rq xxx

I take it specifically for anxiety issues too...........it helps to take the edge off the constant rush of anxiety that wizzes around inside :rolleyes: , its helped with all the OCD and agrophobic stuff I was getting too.It just gives me that boost I need to motivate myself to get on and do stuFf that makes me anxious or scares me.Like Bid it made me feel sick at first and I also have to becareful around alcohlol as it hieghtens its affects.Hope it has a positive result for you, all the best suzex.

Citalopram is a very widely used and successful treatment for Anxiety. Statistically, you stand a good chance that it will work for you, without causing too many side effects.

It commonly causes stomach upsets in the first week or two.

It belongs to a class of medications called SSRIs. These drugs sometimes cause anxiety in the first few weeks, but this is actually a sign that the drug will work well for you.

People on the autistic spectrum often react well to very low doses of SSRIs, but higher doses make them feel worse. If you get any trouble with it, it's worth asking about starting from a very low dose.

Citalopram is a very widely used and successful treatment for Anxiety. Statistically, you stand a good chance that it will work for you, without causing too many side effects.

It belongs to a class of medications called SSRIs. These drugs sometimes cause anxiety in the first few weeks, but this is actually a sign that the drug will work well for you.

People on the autistic spectrum often react well to very low doses of SSRIs, but higher doses make them feel worse. If you get any trouble with it, it's worth asking about starting from a very low dose.

Yeah am starting on a very low dose. I've had it before on a much bigger dose than this and it just made things a heck of a lot worse.

well im going back on it.......been today and i start again tomorrow-i always found it was good.......was bit of a nightmare weaning myself of the mirtapine.........i managed it though-i didnt like that at all-it deffo made me worse.

hope you get on ok with it

rq xxx

I was put on this (20mg) for depression and anxiety. It helped for while but only took me so far, so my doctor put me on 40mg. Didn't last long because I started having terrible nightmares, during which I'd punch and kick out in my sleep, often striking the wall (ouch!). I was put back on 20mg, but the depression got worse again, so now I'm on 40mg again ( :rolleyes: ). The nightmares aren't so bad now, but I still get stuck in some really down moods on a fairly regular basis. Maybe I should've been put on a lower dose instead of a higher one...

I am these two years past, on 40mg of Citalopram for anxiety, depression and mood swings. I was on 60mg for a time, but spent most of the time sleeping, but have found I can live with 40mg. What I have learned not to do, or try not to do, is forget to reorder the meds, for I have done that a few times, and one time I actually believed I did not need them as I felt so good, and got better the further they were in my past, little did I realise the good feeling was my mood starting to elevate, and then came the down, I came crashing down to the worst I have ever been. Not a good idea to mess with the meds, certainly not stop them for two weeks like I did, and one side effect of this which was particularly scary and consuming was what my doctor called satyritis, it was horrible, and dangerous.

So now, following my diagnosis of ASD, I have taken a good hard look at myself, and as a result, I feel better than I have done, the depression is not as crushing and I can be more positive about change now, and even went as far as to change myself by getting my first piercings, an important step for me, more monumental than decorative or experiencial. Getting the diagnosis confirmed as ASD has been a massive positive to me, for it explains so much, and I can forgive myself now, knowing my failures had a reason. Citalopram, I am taking properley now, I am not abusing it out of stroppy childishness. I feel with the ASD diangnosis, I have sort of grown up in a way.

As you have found out you should never stop any anti-depressant suddenly, however good you are feeling!

I am currently taking 40mg of Citalopram for anxiety and depression and it has helped a lot. It does have side effects (especially in the early days) but the benefits are worth it.

On thing to be aware of is that it can take a couple of months to start working fully. Many people seem to give up after two or three weeks having decided that is doesn't work for them.

Simon

My OH, who has severe anxiety, has been on and off citalopram for the last few years. It seemed to work better in the early years, and i definately noticed an improvement in the anxiety, from the outside, iyswim. His biggest complaint about it, however, became that it made him "flat", and he felt tired and lethargic a lot. He has also briefly tried mood stabilisers, and at the moment is med free and fairly ok, fingers crossed.

I was also, coincidentally, prescribed citalopram a few years ago, for reactive depression. Myself and DD had to move house twice in a year and then i lost my job. I was just sitting in the chair bursting into tears and feeling hopeless and helpless. I found the citalopram had an effect within the first month, i felt so much better, I could understand what my OH meant by feeling flat, but at the time that was a huge improvement for me. I have never suffered with anxiety however, so cannot comment from experience, except to say that i also messed up my prescription once. After a week or so i was still feeling fine with no meds, and had been feeling ready to come off them anyway, so i decided i was officially off meds. Then the withdrawal symptoms started, and it was dreadful. I was shaky, panicking, terrified. I went back on them and then weaned off slowly when i had settled again. If that was a taste of anxiety then i truly feel for anyone who has to cope with it all the time.

I agree to the feeling flat thing, it does that, with good and bad effect, good because it irons out the emotional roller coaster, but bad in that I am supposed to be an artist, and it stifles inspiration. Not only does it stifle inspiration, but it also makes one more into a dreamer rather than a doer, not good, when I have creations to make from ideas I have dreamed up. Tired and lethargic is a constant state for me, the term 'dull' comes to mind.

I have been on it for a few years, and am due a review, something I think needs to be done, as I am aware the constant consumption of such chemicals might well have the effect to alter body chemistry so that we adapt the the medication and the original complaint might take on new paths to display itself.

In conversation with my doctor, I admit, I am very cynical about the action of the medication, and as I hear of so many people now being put on the stuff for a wide range of other complaints, I wonder is this medication becoming a cure all for everything, much as amitriptylene was a few years ago, where it was even prescribed in one case for a complaint of a sore throat, the bearer became dependant on the medication even when the original complaint had long gone. The bearer, in their professional life had the funds to take a year off to try and rid the drug, but could not and is now stuck with the dependency it seems for life.

Medications are all well and good, but it like police work in the prescence of dna, is not an excuse not to get down to some thorough if expensive detective work. Medications should not be the cure all, when it is possible there might be a rather simple underlying wrinkle that can be ironed out, quite possibly by good old fashioned medical work.

It just makes me wonder, the cost of Citalopram in terms of finance, what is the greater cost to the medical services, the standard medical care, or the purchase of medications from private pharmaceutical companies. I just hope the NHS is not taking the cheapest option.

Ah, so maybe the Citalopram is responsible for my "think it, don't do it" attitude?!?! I've been trying to make a start on a new novel for a while; keep plotting it out in my head, but never writing anything down. Or maybe it's just lack of confidence.

I can relate to the flat/dull feeling, and I'm always dropping off to sleep in the middle of the day, too. Then I get frustrated because I haven't done anything. Things are all over the place at the moment though, need to find some way to keep calm.

I can relate to the flat/dull feeling, and I'm always dropping off to sleep in the middle of the day, too. Then I get frustrated because I haven't done anything. Things are all over the place at the moment though, need to find some way to keep calm.

oh my god im tired constantly and i just saw this and thought could it be due to the cilatropram,im constantly tired and could sleep all day!!i am overweight tho so it could be that as well,i been on cilatropram for about 9 years,40 mg :hypno:

I also put on weight when on the citalopram, as did OH. I don't have any personal experience of other anti-ds, although OH has also taken fluoxitine for a while. I thought he was great to be around whilst on it, very calm and considered, but again he felt flat and tired, so it maybe how his mind/body reacts to certain meds.

When he finally stopped taking anything, a month or so ago, he announced one evening that he felt tired, and that it was "proper tired", from being busy and working hard. He was really happy, said he hadn't felt like that in ages.

Wonder if the Citalopram is the reason I can't lose weight?

Wonder if the Citalopram is the reason I can't lose weight?

Risperidone caused appetite increase as well. ScienceGeek are you still on this stuff?

Alexis

I've been on so many psych meds, I feel qualified to join this discussion! My first dx was bipolar depressoin - which I dont agree with something happend once or twice in ten years. So I've been on zoloft & paxil (which made my stomach hurt), fluoxitine - which made me all shaky and felt like I could not walk properly, not able to move muscles, etc, Lithium, Depakote, Olanzapine (which made me not be able to feel anything, physically it was wierd), Klonazopam, none of which worked for very long.

A few yrs ago I was switched to mirtazapine which gave me great, or too much sleep, but also gave me an extra 2 stones which I have finally lost by going on a weight loss pill.... lol Most of the meds just made me flat and zoned out and not able to focus on anything, to the point where they wondered if I had ADHD... I dont, it was a side affect.

Now Im on citalopram the last 6 mos or so, and I found I did not gain the weight and it really does help with anxiety/depression. Hope that helped... apparantely the only med that will let you loose weiht or wont make you hungry is citalapram. Ive tried so many others, and not only that, you get really low libido in most of them.

I think the point is that they all to some degree or another have to fix the serotonin levels in the brain and in most cases there are crossed wires, synapses, and a bunch of other stuff I dont really understand. They all work in a slightly different way. And each person will react a little different than the next person to a given ingredient. So you have to find what is the best for you.

I've been on so many meds, I didnt even list them all, in the last ten or so years. It also does not help that once you get a label it follows you around, even if it was wrong.

... Not only does it stifle inspiration, but it also makes one more into a dreamer rather than a doer, not good, when I have creations to make from ideas I have dreamed up. ..

that sounds like me too, im supposed to be a designer and I thouhgt I just had no ideas and should switch fields. Maybe I should try being on no meds .... Hmm. A thought.

good luck!

My son was put on citalopram about 3-4 weeks ago. his dose was just upped to 20mg the other day.

Will this help with his problem sleeping? It has not so far but he is a little cheerier.

DP was on citalopram Dec2008 after his first breakdown and TBH it made no difference to him, his dose was upped over the course of the year from 10mg to 40mg

Eventually the GP changed him to another medication, but he came off it before it had a chance to see if it worked for him as he is waiting on the mental health team appointment so has been medication free since last October as the GP said he needs to be assessed without meds hazing things iyswim

My friend has today been prescribed citalopram for her anxiety and is scared to take it

my mum is on this anti-depressant ciplopram after losing my nan after 3 years for caring for her which helped her stay balanced and stable enough to function daily life without falling to bits and carry on ..... my nan was major part of her life and routine of living everyday as her carer now feels so lost and empty can see it in her eyes sometimes .....

XKLX

I don't think it would directly help with the sleep problem (it is not a sedative), but if the sleep problems are caused by depression or anxiety, then things might improve once he starts to feel better.

I don't think it would directly help with the sleep problem (it is not a sedative), but if the sleep problems are caused by depression or anxiety, then things might improve once he starts to feel better.

Thanks Tally.

My son was put on citalopram about 3-4 weeks ago. his dose was just upped to 20mg the other day.

Will this help with his problem sleeping? It has not so far but he is a little cheerier.

do you mind e asking how old your son is. Its just that my dd2 anxiety and deppresion is very bad right now. she walks with her head down destroying her clothes, pulling her hair, she needs constant reasuranse on everything. she has been reconized as having severve anxiety and im so worried for her and dont know how to help these issues. Im not sure they even treat children as young as 11 does anyone no about these extreem difficulties.

do you mind e asking how old your son is. Its just that my dd2 anxiety and deppresion is very bad right now. she walks with her head down destroying her clothes, pulling her hair, she needs constant reasuranse on everything. she has been reconized as having severve anxiety and im so worried for her and dont know how to help these issues. Im not sure they even treat children as young as 11 does anyone no about these extreem difficulties.

he is 20 years old and has been similar to your daughter for many years.He is doing a little better now but still not sleeping good

Edited by scotkaz

citalopram made my sleep problems worse. apparently in ASD it can cause you to be hyper-alert and cause more problems than it fixes. i'm on mirtazapine now but i dont like it much, its very effective at dealing with anxiety and makes me sleep, but because its sedating it makes me feel tired all day too!