FKlama

Bladder issues

This might be a be too personal for some people, so if you think that reading about adult toileting issues might be a problem for you, please refrain from reading on.

I have always had problems feeling when my bladder was full. Like many other things, I was quite successful at hiding this problem all my life, by drinking very little, and stopping an accident in progress before if got to big to hide.

Since I was drinking very little (sometimes I would notice that the last time I had something to drink was over 24h ago, {if I don't sweat} I do not get thirsty unless I stop drinking for 48h), I was in a constant state of mild dehydration (probably not very healthy) to reduce the amount of urine produced.

Several years ago, during some especially stressful parts of my life, this problem got so bad, that I had to wear adult nappies to keep my pants dry. Since it took one stressor away, it was helping me tremendously.

I have (myself) classified this problem as another sensory issue, since everything works just fine, if I concentrate on my bladder. Also most of the accidents happened when I was totally immersed in something.

At the beginning of this year, I did (another) personal assessment of what sources of stress I have in everyday life, and how I could reduce them. I noticed that the stress generated by the constant vigilance to keep from wetting myself was quite considerable. As an experiment, I decided to wear adult nappies again, to see how much stress relieve this would bring during normal times.

Since the stress relieve was considerable, I started considering to keep wearing them full time. I began assessing the pros and cons, including the risk of losing bladder control completely. Due to the incredible stress relieve, I decided that it was well worth the risk, and kept wearing adult nappies.

I have been waring them ever since, and my prediction that stopping to be on guard to keep dry would result in more frequent uncontrolled urine loss has turned out to be true. It is kind of weird watching myself as I slowly lose bladder control, but since I had accepted this as a likely possibility, it does not bother me.

Another advantage is, that I can now drink 'enough' without risking wet clothes. This has also reduced the effects of the dehydration, wich is another positive factor that I did not even consider initially. I still have to remind myself to drink, but having enough bottled water on my desk when I am at the university, or making a big pot of tea when at home makes this quite easy.

I know that most people probably think it is weird for an intelligent 26 year old to wear nappies, especially I am not mentally retarded and considering that I have decided to do so, even though I managed (barely) without. But then again, those are common stereotypes again. It it considered to be normal for mentally retarded and old people to wear nappies past the toddler age, but society expects everyone else to be 'toilet trained'. But then, I don't really care too much about what others think, and most people will probably never know (unless I tell them).

I was just curious, are there others having similar problems interpreting the signals from their bladder, or am I the only one.

I hope this was not too personal for anybody and that I did not offend anyone, but then again, i did put a warning on top...

I don't think it's weird or too personal - that's what this forum should be for - a safe space where such issues can be discussed. My issues aren't as severe as yours at all, but my main problem is not knowing that I need to go until I really really need to go - generally this is ok now as I'm not constrained to certain break times or anything so can go - when I was teaching I made sure I went every break time - oh and I refused to abide by the school rules that said we weren't allowed to let kids go to the toilet during lessons (:whistle:) because I knew of the discomfort and distraction is causes. Also if someone asks me if I need to go, I don't know :wacko: Was a bit interesting when I was up the mountain last weekend cause I suddenly realised I absolutely had to go - thankfully the wonderful person with me understood my intentions in asking where the public conveniences were (which of course there aren't any) ...

My issues aren't as severe as yours at all, but my main problem is not knowing that I need to go until I really really need to go.

I have that same problem. I don't realise that I need to go until I'm at the point where I have to make a dash for the toilets otherwise there will be an accident.

Ros Blackburn mentioned similar problems during her talk at the transition conference & that she wore pads, I was quite startled as she is so articulate & its something I'd never thought about, but she was so unembarrassed & matter of fact about it, she didnt go into much detail but I guessed then it was a multi tasking thing, that she would be so focused on giving her talk that she might indeed miss vital signals.

Edited by pearl

I find i have good phases and bad phases (dont tie in with bowel issues).

On good phases i just have to go to the loo very quickly as i just get the "bladder full, need pee NOW" signal.

Otherwise i often dont realise i need to go as i have no feeling and just feel urine beginning to dribble out and occasionally i feel it run down leg, but thats rare. when im having a bad patch i try and concentrate but that doesnt help as i become so paranoid i start hallucinating the feeling of wee running down my leg when nothings happening then my body "crys wolf" and i end up wetting myself slightly!!!!

I have occasionally wetted the bed too but ive always had to cover that up as in the navy, adult bed wetting can get you administratively discharged but i decided i didnt "have a problem" as its only a couple of times a year and i normally wake up with only a smallish damp patch.

I wear Black underwear for the specific reason that i dont want any visible stains if i suffer minor "leakage".

On good phases i just have to go to the loo very quickly as i just get the "bladder full, need pee NOW" signal.

It used the be the same here.

Otherwise i often dont realise i need to go as i have no feeling and just feel urine beginning to dribble out

That happened to me frequently as well.

occasionally i feel it run down leg, but thats rare. when im having a bad patch i try and concentrate but that doesnt help as i become so paranoid i start hallucinating the feeling of wee running down my leg when nothings happening then my body "crys wolf" and i end up wetting myself slightly!!!!

Well during my bad times, it was like that all of the time. I would just start wetting, and not even notice. That is why I started wearing nappies back then. Because then I knew, even if I do wet myself, it is no problem.

I am amazed that I am not alone, that quite a number of people here have similar problems.

i have the same prblem but also with my bowel as well

if im really in to what im doing its like theres simply no controal but everything else is fine

so i wear adult nappies to deal with it to and im 20