Viper

Protein shakes?

My little man is so under weight it is really worrying me. Last November he had a nasty bug that made him lose a stone, He has never managed to get that back. He only eats enough to keep him going but not enough to put on weight. He is 8 in 4 months and weighs about the same as a 5 year old although he is tall for his age.

His psychiatrist noticed he was very thin and sugested we see the GP and ask for some form of body building milkshakes. She also said the GP may send him to a nutritionalist who may take blood and advise on diet etc. I really don't want DS to have blood taken as he would freak. And we don't need advice on a healthy diet. We know what he should eat, and overall he has a healthy diet all be it very limited.

My main worry is that he has no reserves in his little body and any illness now is going to devastate him physicaly to the point where he may need to be hospitalised on a drip if he gets any sickness bug. He has no muscles left and I worry his heart may be weakened. When he was ill his muscles seemed to waste away and I wonder if it affected his heart muscle too. He can't walk far now before his legs hurt and today he was playing with a friend who is a year younger and a lot smaller. They were wrestling on the trampoline and his friend was throwing him around like a rag doll. DS had no hope of defending himself as he is just too weak.

Has anyone used these milkshakes for their kids and do they help?

hi

i have similar prob with my son

i went gps over it and they seemed to think i had nowt to worry about

my 5 year old weighs alot more than my 7 year old,and my son seems very weak in his muscles-and wont walk far -no strength ect

also when he has been poorly the weight just drops of him in matter of a week..........really noticable

my neighbour had suggested complan-when i had a look it seemed expensive for what you got-like 4 sachets in a box

i use minadex to try get appiete up

when i was younger i was same -so much so i was put in hospital for month or so as they couldnt find out why i wasnt eating enough-they used to sprinkle my food with some powder stuff-for the life of me cant remmeber the name-it was white and my mum had big tubs of it

this is going back some years.

other than then i try to fill him with snacks little and often -i just changed back to full cream milk-give him lots drinks with it-and lots fromage frais-and stuff i imagine would put some weight on........but hes still thin........he needs constant prompting really to eat.........as it seems it does not come naturally-same with drinking -like the other thread on here.

>:D<<'>

but no i havnt tryed the protien milkshakes.

rq xxx

Not had a child use them but when my father was very ill he had them and also a old neighbour of mine was brought back to health from the very brink of death using them, she could keep nothing else down. If your GP thinks he needs them he will give a good supply for your money, far cheaper than the shops. A nutritionist will not just advise on a healthy diet but will also help to get him to eat more when they can and show you ways to help you. I would not dismiss them out of hand because they may or may not take blood...that's your choice to say no when asked about it.

If you have concerns about his weight go and see his GP and get what help you can for him.

When my youngest was little he had weight issues too due to having chronic asthma. The shakes he had came in little cartons just like kiddie drinks and they made a difference to his weight. He saw them as a treat so didnt have a problem with them. They came in 3 flavours chocolate banana and strawberry. He only needed them for a year and they gave him the extra energy he needed to fight through the asthma attacks.

When I was pregnant first time round, I was at a point in my life when I had to fight to stay over 7 stone, and when the morning sickness kicked in, I was losing weight fast.

So I was prescribed build up milkshakes that were available over the counter.

The only flavour I could retain was vanilla!

They made a big difference, and my daughter was fine.

Hi Viper :)

It would be worth seeing the dietician, because they can tell you clever ways to get extra calories into your son, as opposed to just telling you about a healthy diet.

My two littlies see a dietician because of their severe food allergies, and they have been really helpful.

Good luck,

Bidx

hi viper,,i have similar probs,,i suffer with depression and this affects my weight,,,through psychiatrist i was given ensure plus milkshakes,,, i drank 4 cartons per day,i had to drink them after food ,,this was to give an extra 1400 calories per day,,they were quite nice to drink,strawberry was the nicest and i thought it tasted quite like a mcdonalds thickshake,,, dunno what my tastebuds were thinking ha ha,,i used these for 3 months and i only gained 3 pounds,, this was due to my metabolism being very high,, but they do work for some people,,we use them in work for people to retain a healthy weight ,,,i would say give them a try ,, when i was little i was given complan and build up but these didnt work,,,,, i have just got to live with being little i suppose,,,,,,jo

I've had these myself.. As part of my OCD, I had a phobia of eating. You can probably guess that it affected my physical health completely. My liver enlarged and my heart stopped pumping blood to my feet and hands.

I was prescribed calorie shakes that were ready made in cartons.. I had to have a lot in one day :sick: But I did eventually find one that I really liked that was a powder that you mixed up with milk. I definately think that they could help your son if you feel he needs an extra boost with his weight. Good luck! :thumbs:

Edited by Thompsons

Hi Viper, I really would recommend the offer of a nutritionist, for me I feel its saved Js life, and it helped me cope, having a child who isnt eating and not weighing much is very upsetting and I knew it was down to a number of reasons, he has high anxiety which reduces his appitite and then he has sensory issues to taste, texture and tempreture, and many thing went in the bin for him to eat yet another bowl of wheetabix, as thats litratley what he lived on.

He had also been on ritalin which really effected his appitite and was frequently ill with virus after virus because his little body couldnt fight it with the combination of stress and not eating enough calories, J was still very hyperactive on the go all day, burning calories he just didnt have, over time his body did quit and he had to be hospitalised due to heart problems, his peadatrition was brilliant and to this day still there for J.

We where given the all clear with any physical reasons for the heart but it was placed to severe anxiety which was a result of ASD, ADHD.

Over the last two years we had a dietition who supported Jay and there was NO Forcing him, we monitored it and encouraged calcium and protien foods, he had blood tests which was done with a butterfly needle that doenst hurt as much and he has a light form of anemia but not enough for treatment, his matablism is high and breaks down instantly what he eats, we recieved sensory therapy from BIBIC who helped us bring in smells and tastes and over the last year his intake is probably trebbeled, J has put on some much needed weight throw helping him with his anxieties and getting him into a routine with meals, we have cut out cola and chocolate as these severely effected what he ate and now eats loads of fruits and meats, he is still underwieght but he doesnt get viruses anymore and he is as active as ever, but healthy wise, he suffers hyperglicemia so we have to ensure we have fruit and snacks with us all the time, and regularly go shopping to get his faviourate menu. (extreamly picky still)

His intake is much better for fish and beef and he looks a lot better now, so much we only check in with the dietition when he is of concern, I would recommend the blood test to cancel out any other medical reasons to his appitite and weight difficulties.

I knew what healthy meals to give J too but for me it was very benificial and she encourged other services to support J and she monitored him and very possibly saved his life.

J is much healthier now.

JsMum

I forgot to mention that the shakes my son had were actually prescribed by the dietician so making an appointment would be good as they can prescribe ones with the right vitamins and minerals for your child

hi we use then at work alot and they really ssem to help i know shannon had lost abit of weight wen she had her appendix out and suffers with very bad constipation they gave her some sugar substitute to put in her drinks to add extra calolries to her diet as she does not like milkshake.

this did the trick and helped her put on the weight she needed

love donnaxxxx

Everyone has been so helpfull. Thanks so much. I am much happier about seeing a dietician now and hopefully we can get my DS to resemble a healthy chlid soon.

I weighed him today, he is 3 stone 4lb and he measures around the average 8 year old size, can't remember the exact height just that he is very low on the percentile chart less than the third percentile for his weight.

Hi Viper,

As well as a Dietician may I suggest you get the GP to refer you to an Endochrinologist for blood tests, because if it is something physiological he may need some vital course of treatment. This happened with my daughter - she ended up with bone density in the lowest 15% in her hips and spine and a diagnosis of Annorexia. This certainly didn't come about through exercise and dieting its a condion called H/H

Fran x

I know how you feel, you get suspicious of every professional in the end. But sometimes you just have to try first with them. They aren't all bad :)

I meant to mention that I had a dietician also, who was very helpful :)

And blood tests might be useful too. I had extremely low levels of phosphate in my blood because I wasn't eating and had to take phosphate tablets for a long time. I had blood tests and my blood pressure checked everyday at the hospital. As someone mentioned the butterfly needles are really good - I don't have a problem with needles anyway, but when they used the butterfly needles, I honestly didn't even feel it! :thumbs:

Edited by Thompsons

Hi Viper,

Yes - we used them some time back when my daughter was so underweight. She was 11 and half years old and just over 3 stone in weight - she wouldn't eat because she couldn't swallow properly (we now realise was due to anxieties). She had been under the Paed. since birth because of swallowing and eating problems and chronic constipation (which now looking back was all due to textures and feelings of eating) and her growth (weight & height) was below the 3rd percentile - although the Paed. always thought she was in control and just being stubborn.

We saw the dietician on various occasions - but it didn't really help us unfortunately - our daughter knew what was good for her - she knew what would make her feel better - but she just couldn't eat it - she would try and either gag or vomit - sometimes projectile. We tried all the various protein shakes - but only Build up in strawberry flavour was the one she would drink - all the others were very very thick and she'd gag on the texture. In fact from 11yrs old for a 6 month period - this was her lifesaver because she ate zero other than drink the buildup and her weight was then critical.

All I can say is from 12 and a half - suddenly she turned the corner and now at nearly 15 years old she is 8 stone - and people don't recognise her - because she looks so healthy and average. She is still fickle over food and will eat the same thing over and over again - although she is definitely more aware of hunger and thirst now that she is getting older.

Now if I cook a sunday roast - she will sit and eat 1/2 a potato a carrot stick and have her chicken in gravy - which I never ever ever thought would happen.........

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

My youngest ds aged just 6, has a heart condition, he is otherwise healthy! but is between the 2nd to 4th centile for height and weight, and always has been, he has paediasure plus, twice daily still, he is a very fussy eater and untill four had a gastromony tube fitted, but hadnt been used for two years, he just wouldnt eat, but there was no reason, he could speak and swallow, so one day I decided not to use it overnight and go cold turkey, I never used it again but he still needs the paediasure plus to keep his weight up to this level! he eats well now but would stil prefer to have mashed potatoes, beans, etc etc , easy to eat food, if I let him, he has no other problems, like ds2! but they all keep me on my toes. Perhaps paediasure plus, it comes in lots of different flavours, and can be hot or cold, may be something you could consider, we get it on prescrition, but you can get it at the chemists, hope this helps >:D<<'>

Enid that sound interesting. I have a worry that the GP will not give him anything so at least I know I can buy something over the counter.

Ds's problems with food, are as many people have said, the texture and taste. Everything he eats is very bland. He will only eat what he knows which is very little. Consisting of mainly bread, rice, pasta and noodles, all plain, nothing added for flavour. His only veg is cucumber and raw carrot. He has just started to eat grapes and cherries. He only eats cherries because DD told him they are mini apples, which he will eat.

He still has the baby devided plates because he can't have his food touching and for this reason he wont eat sandwiches and has never eaten a hamburger. If we go to McDs he has a plain toasted bun and fries (causes no end of problems for the staff, but that's a whole other gripe :wallbash: ).

He has had a cold over the past few days and has refused to eat anything. He says nothing tasts right. The main problem is that due to his limited diet, he gets so bored with the same thing all the time and the doesn't eat anything at all because he can't decide what he wants.

My son had to have blood tests when he was 10. I thought he would hate it, so we went to the children's ward to have the first one done. I warned them in advance, and they put anaesthetic cream on the back of his hand (had to wait an hour for it to work). The room where she did it was full of lava lamps and bubble tubes, so T loved it. They tried with the butterfly needle, but couldn't get anything out. She then said they would do it from the usual place on his arm - did he want some of the cream on (and we would have to wait another hour) - he said no, just get on with it - she did and he was fine. Probably due to his high pain threshold. He had several bood tests afterwards with no fuss.

I get so cross with My G.P. My son is underweight and he says, "he is eating and growing so what is the problem". My reply, "The fact that you can play a tune on his ribs, just like the piano". Nothing fits him anymore and my daughters friend who is anorexic was actually shocked at his body when she saw it. I know his dad is thin and really tall and that he had to have special powder on his food when he was young, but that was because he was living in Canada then. After the recent events in Birmingham with the little girl who died, I have started to worry that someone may report my son being underweight. Its that bad.

Clair, one of the reasons I have decided to take DS to the GP was because of the little girl. I thought maybe I am neglecting my duty to him by not seeking help. I had spoken to his psychiatrist about it.

What would happen to me if DS became so ill he was hospitalised, who knows in these days what the authorities will do to make themselves look better after the tragic death of that poor child. I don't think I even want to think about it.

Gods, this brings back memories of my dear old Dad.... He had MS and as it progressed, his gag reflex became almost non existent so finding food that wouldnt make him choke was a problem. It took him ages to eat small amounts of food and his weight loss was constant and terribly worrying. He was prescibed the milkshaky type things many of you have encountered and they really helped, we also took to adding cream to foods whenever possibly to help increase his calorie intake. If he had icecream, we added cream. Cake was mashed up with cream, yoghurts had cream mixed in, etc,etc. It worked with some more savoury foods like soup and mashed potato, we tried it with other things with disastrous results!!! :sick: But it helped a bit. Depends on what the littluns will tolerate right enough!!

Esther x

I'm really shocked at how these stories remind me of myself.. I was actually in a magazine (free with News Of The World - I doubt anyone remembers or saw it, but you never know!) last year trying to raise awareness of phobias that are deemed uncommon or strange. I had only heard of one other person with a phobia of food until I came on here! It honestly ruined my life.. I can now eat (everything but chocolate - it terrifies me!), but I'm still very underweight due to the fact that my stomach shrank so much that I now get full up very easily. It stunted my growth.. I'm still the height I was when I was 14.

Is this a common thing with aspergers? Levi is fussy with food, but he eats a lot! I hope he doesn't develop an aversion to food as he gets older. I have been diagnosed with OCD and a schizophrenic disorder, but now I'm wondering if it's possible I may have aspergers.. Or perhaps these disorders just have similar symptoms? Just thinking aloud really :unsure: