Tilly

I'm going to an ASD conference...

....... and really looking forward to it. How sad is that - when one of the highlights of my calender is an all day conference!!! :rolleyes:

But on a serious note it is fab and there are some guest speakers one being the brilliant Ian Jordan. The last conference was held two years ago and I came back with a wealth of knowledge and very uplifted - which is what we need sometimes. I have opted for a workshop about sensory issues as they greatly affect dd.

Will let you know how it went.

Tilly

Have a great time. Know just how you feel, I went to an adult transition one recently & it was a real treat! And it directly led to the idea of joining an outdoor pursuits club for JP. I think I posted about it in Beyond Adolescence. Make sure you tell us all about it! :thumbs:

Hi Tilly,

Is there any chance you could PM me some vague details about what was included in the conference, Im always interested in ASD events.

Where do you get event lists for things like this?

Thank you

Edited by CEJesson

It was organised by dds (in my opinion fabulous) school, and is an all day conference held in a hotel in our city, Sunderland. Parents/carers and professionals are invited. Parents have a much reduced rate. So I have found out because my dd attends the school but I do know people whose children go to mainstream are informed by the Autism Outreach in our area, I imagine there will have been some type of advertising as it was a very good show of people last year. In the past I have been informed of conferences by the Carers Centre, which have been held in nearby boroughs/ cities.

P.S I go on Friday

Tilly

I home educate so am not in the system but I was still sent a mail shot about this event :thumbs:

I think that I have said before that we have an excellent Autism Outreach Team :thumbs:

Really looking forward to seeing Ian again as well as Olga Bogdashina for the first time, and for sure Tilly who is a real ray of sunshine :D and never fails to make me :lol:

Cat

Edited by Cat

We went and it was BRILL. Its the first time we have been to such an event and we learnt so much.So much food for thought ,you think you are doing your best and we were coming out thinking our poor little soul what a hard time we give him.We had to hide the evidence (we said we had gone to meeting at the bank!) J loves hotels and his eagle eye would have picked out our exciting little plastic envelope and Marriot pad &pens.Yes I admit I get excited about silly little thing like that too.

The conference was "Sensory Issues In ASD And How These Impact On Behaviour"

It was fantastic. Olga Bogdashina is inspirational and gave us a lot of food of food for thought - a truly amazing woman and if you have the chance to see her I would thoroughly recommend it.

Having seen Ian Jordan in the past I knew what to expect, but a friend of mine who hadn't was astounded by the results Ian can make and is planning to visit him. Two inspiring people at one meet I felt we were truly spoiled.

It wasn't a 'this is a way to cure your child' but rather 'here are some strategies to help your child'.

Will definitely go to the next one - although it will be 2 years away.

Tilly

Yes the conference was excellent their best yet :thumbs: Olga was fantastic :notworthy: I got to kiss Ian :whistle: on the cheek of course :lol: and the OT who did a workshop I attended was excellent to. Some real food for thought that is for sure. They wanted to know who we would like to see at the next conference I said Tony Attwood :pray:

Cat