baddad

Micro-chipped wheelie bins...

Did anyone else see this in the news? The goverment have given the go ahead for local councils to invest in micro-chipped wheelie bins which keep track of the amount of waste generated per household. I don't know it the long term plan is 'metered' waste disposal, charging on an individual basis, but i'm gonna start stockpiling helium filled balloons just in case! Just slip a couple in the middle of the bin and Bob's yer uncle/fanny's yer aunt! Who knows, depending on the disposal rates/cost per balloon I might be able to wangle a hefty rebate!

Mind you, with all those balloons taking up all the space in my wheelie bin I'm gonna have to think of some other way of dealing with all the paper / plastic / glass / tin / rotting veg / 'disposables' etc I'm too lazy to recycle... thankfully, black sacks are cheap, and there's loads of lovely countryside round my way for fly-tipping :D:whistle:

IDIOTS! :rolleyes:

I think the government should invest in micro-chipped baseball caps which all officials have to wear during working hours. Every time their mouths open to endorse some crazy scheme or initiative it delivers 240v directly to their metal tooth fillings. OKAY, it would be a huge drain on the national grid, but boy would it cheer us all up! Actually, if we filled their mouths with acid we'd have perfect human 'batteries'... politicians: a sustainable form of energy... now there's a thought....... :devil:

:D

:angry: More Big Brother from Gordy Brown then!

I am with David Davis and his last speech, that he was refused permission to make in Parliament.

Oh and despite your flippancy there is not enough recycling facilities for folk to use, in large towns and cities you get it door to door with various bins etc. Get out in the open countryside and you don't get a recycle collection nor encouragement to recycle. My nearest bottle bank, for instance, is over 10 miles in a direction I rarely need to go.

Also already, and despite there being only 3 houses, I found an 'extra' sack in my bin last week. I rarely have more than one sack in my bin as I have a composter and a Green Cone. This scheme will as you have already said encourage fly tipping and many householder will find their bin full of rubbish they did not make themselves.

Find a quiet room, draw the curtains and have a nice lie down.

It wiill pass over in the end! :whistle:

Simon

Did anyone else see this in the news? The goverment have given the go ahead for local councils to invest in micro-chipped wheelie bins which keep track of the amount of waste generated per household. I don't know it the long term plan is 'metered' waste disposal, charging on an individual basis, but i'm gonna start stockpiling helium filled balloons just in case! Just slip a couple in the middle of the bin and Bob's yer uncle/fanny's yer aunt! Who knows, depending on the disposal rates/cost per balloon I might be able to wangle a hefty rebate!

Mind you, with all those balloons taking up all the space in my wheelie bin I'm gonna have to think of some other way of dealing with all the paper / plastic / glass / tin / rotting veg / 'disposables' etc I'm too lazy to recycle... thankfully, black sacks are cheap, and there's loads of lovely countryside round my way for fly-tipping :D:whistle:

I think the government should invest in micro-chipped baseball caps which all officials have to wear during working hours. Every time their mouths open to endorse some crazy scheme or initiative it delivers 240v directly to their metal tooth fillings. OKAY, it would be a huge drain on the national grid, but boy would it cheer us all up! Actually, if we filled their mouths with acid we'd have perfect human 'batteries'... politicians: a sustainable form of energy... now there's a thought....... :devil:

I find it really disturbing. For heaven's sake; people are being stabbed, shot, raped, robbed, mugged, murdered, burgled and beat up, and they spend money on monitioring our rubbish!

:sick::tearful::angry:

I have known about microchipped wheelie bins for several years and some councils secretly introducing them without telling people about them. It is all part of an EU initiative to clean up the "dirty man of Europe" which still isn't recycling enough. When my wheelie bin is microchipped I'm sticking a picture of Ted Heath on it.

We don't even have wheelie bins :( Our rubbish goes out in black bags and the cats raid them or the wind blows them down the street! We do have recycling boxes once a fortnight tho'

they will have to remove public litter bins from the street if they do this.

I for one would just take a small bag of rubbish with me on way to work and stick it in litter bin for free!! THey want to be muppets about things then people will slowly fight back.

Since our council began enforcing recycling in our area it's been bedlam.

They gave us a "green" wheelie bin for garden waste, and said they would begin fortnightly collections, alternating between our "green" wheelie bin and our usual household rubbish wheelie bin.............so what happens in Winter....yup, no one has a "green" wheelie bin to put out, so the refuse lorry just drives down the road........meanwhile our usual household rubbish wheelie bin has to hold two weeks worth of rubbish, so is overflowing.

They won't empty your wheelie bin here if your lid is not closed properly, and our estate has never looked so scruffy and filthy, with litter and rubbish strewn all over, since all this began.

We have to now use a green box for tins and jars........a big white bag for plastic bottles...............a clear bag for cardboard...........a blue bag for papers.......

I'm infuriated by it, and have to visit my local council tip at least once a week to dispose of refuse building up in my usual wheelie bin..........and I was someone who was all for recycling and actually recycled beforehand.

I'm sure it must be a health hazard to leave household waste two weeks, especially so in Summer. What about families with young children in nappies?

We had one incident when one our kids had cleaned out the hamster, and emptied the sawdust into the "green" wheelie bin (you can put sawdust in it), but they had accidently thrown a 50p size of hamster bedding out with it.......................when we went to collect our wheelie bin, it was still full, with a ruddy great sticker on the top saying we had not been recycling correctly, therefore it had not been emptied...........for a blooming small blob of fluff :wallbash:

Edited by Bagpuss

Where S lives, they put all their rubbish in one bin, and the council then separates it out at the depot. This would seem much more efficient in the long run.

Where I live, they collect the general rubbish and the compostable rubbish alternate weeks, and also collect the recycling every 2 weeks.

I get this enormous brown bin for garden waste, food waste and cardboard. I normally fill it around 12 inches deep in 2 weeks. I think you would need a family of 6 or so to actually fill it. If you live in a flat you are allowed a small one. In the summer it really stinks after 2 weeks. I don't put plate scrapings into mine, only dry food waste, because that helps to prevent the stink, and it only sticks to the sides of the bin anyway. They're not easy to clean because they are so big and heavy. Once they refused to take it because I put in a cardboard box with a small piece of sellotape still attached, so I had to bag it all up and put it out as general rubbish the following week, because it was really stinking very badly. There is no microchip on it, I have looked carefully!

I normally get 2 sacks of rubbish in 2 weeks, but it could be more sometimes.

They recycle glass, tins, paper, polythene, Tetra Paks, milk bottles, and each of these things has to be tied up in a separate carrier bag. If you have more than one carrier bag of the same type of thing, they will only take one. Sometimes I have a big clear out and shred a load of old bills and things, and it takes months to get rid of the paper only one bag at a time. If ever I get an enormous carrier bag from Argos or something, I save it especially for this purpose.

Where I live they collect paper, tins/cans, glass and plastic milk bottles. Anything else you have to get to the local recycling things which are normally either at a supermarket or on the other side of the city. That is all well and good if you have a car to use, but if you don't then it is a right pain, we have about 3 months worth of cardboard slowly taking over the flat because it is too much of a hassle to take it. They want people to recycle more but then don't have the facilities availble to do so. :wallbash:

We have a black wheelie bin for general rubbish, collected weekly. A brown bin for garden waste collected every two weeks that alternates with the recycling collection of paper (small green bin), glass and cans. We have to take plastic bottles to a recycling thing in a local car park.

I have three little bins that link together for glass, cans and plastic bottles that live in the shed by my back door.

I think we do really well, as we produce one full wheelie bin each week, and we could actually have a second wheelie bin as we are a family of 6. If they introduce a fortnightly collection for general rubbish here I shall just ask for the extra bin :P

The worst thing is the alternate week thing: I have to have it on my timetable as I simply can't keep track in my head. I live in fear of a composting collection being introduced like my mum has...a horrid little smelly bin of kitchen waste :sick::sick: I might investigate a compost heap instead *shudder* or maybe two chickens :o:ph34r: You can buy funky chicken houses and runs now!! Big A. would be in heaven as he has wanted a chicken for years! :lol:

I read today in the Daily Wail (so it must be true ;) ) that the pilot scheme for the chipped bins has been a complete disaster, with the computer system, etc, breaking down :devil:

I actually got quite excited when I bought my three little recycling bins, and labelled them using using sticky-back plastic :lol:

OMG, I can't believe I've just posted a great long thing about rubbish...I'm so autistic! :lol::rolleyes:

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

Dont get me started on all the composting that is supposedly taking place.

My sister is fighting a losing battle with rats at the moment. They seem to have taken up residence in her roof space. The pest control guy (no longer provided by council) calmly told her that the increase is largely due to the amount of compost being produced. Our local council encouraged us to have these wretched compost things but the problem is so few people actually know what to do with the finished product and rats love it.

I get the impression all the 85 year old nazi war criminals whove been recently been released from prison have been employed by the local councils refuse departments on community service!!!

Or maybe its part of a grander plan to remove council refuse collection totally and push the responsibility and expense on us.

Its getting harder to justify the increasing council taxes when the councils do stupid things like this with refuse.

recycling is one thing but some of these councils just seem to have lost the plot.

i still think i will put my rubbish in old carrier bags and ditch in litter bins on way to work or daily travels!!!! Litter bins are currently free :lol: plus its what i did in navy as cleaners usually forgot my bin so id empty it myself!!!

I think they need to take some tips from Australia :lol:

We have 4 wheelie bins and they are huge

a dark green wheelie bin for household rubbish taken weekly

a yellow lid wheelie bin for bottles cans collected fortnightly

a blue lie wheelie bin for paper cardboard, alternate fortnight to the yellow

a lime green lid giant wheelie bin for vegetation, garden waste once a month

plus two giant collections for whitegoods, furniture, up to four cubic metres of household junk April and November

Look at the size of the wheelie bins. In this link scroll down to the bottom.

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/services/w...ycle_guide.aspx

Everything is recycled. :lol:

Easy

:o:o:o

ooooer missus! That'll teach me for being flippant! :lol::lol:

That said, I'm amazed at how many peeps get as annoyed over aspects of recycling as I do....

Brown bin/green bin (where's your bin? I haven't bin anywhere. No, where's your wheely bin? I really haven't been anywhere... why you no rissen....) yes, we have that (and being all pedantic about it the dimwits at the council made the GREEN bin the normal refuse one and the BROWN bin garden waste... now, the brown one is the one that gets recycled so why isn't that the 'green' one?) and fortnightly collections are just wrong. After two weeks decomposing the brown bin smells like a vegetarians fart, and while the green bin is usually adequate it only takes some polystyrene packaging or other non-recylcable cr*p to have it overflowing all over the patio :wallbash: And at christmas you need at least THREE bins just to get rid of the wrapping paper and cards they won't take for normal recycling :wallbash:

Then we have the cardboard and paper recycling box and everything else has to be carted to the recycling plant by hand rather than collected. Glass, bottles, plastic, tins... That's FIVE different boxes and two wheelie bins in my back garden. My back passage looks like a landfill (erm, I should probably rephrase that...)...

You know what really really really (wheelie wheeelie wheeeelie!) gets my goat, though? Absolutely nuffink is being done to STOP this amount of rubbish getting generated in the first place :wallbash:

Think jelly - it used to come in a little cardboard packet and that was it - 1 jelly, 1 teeny bit of (recycled) cardboard. Now people buy them in plastic tubs of three, meaning 3 plastic tubs, 3 pullyoffyfilmylids and a piece of cardboard 5x bigger than the old box. Drinks in cartons. Frozen mashed potato (potato used to come in a potato, now it comes in a plastic tub in a cardboard box) PLASTIC bottles filled with pancake mix (milk/flour/egg - how hard is that?) MILK... Teeny yoghurts that kids eat six at a time instead of big pots that they eat one of.....

AND - being a fine upstanding citizen i bought re-usable hessian shopping bags, but when i bought them they only sold GURLY ones with little butterflies on - 'cos of course blokes never go shopping. Now they do some plain blue ones and I have this awful environmental guilt about wanting my GURLY ones to wear out quickly so I can get some new ones that don't make me look camper than John Inman in a skin tight scouts outfit ................

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh

Going to lie down now. I feel a bit faint........

Think jelly - it used to come in a little cardboard packet and that was it - 1 jelly, 1 teeny bit of (recycled) cardboard. Now people buy them in plastic tubs of three, meaning 3 plastic tubs, 3 pullyoffyfilmylids and a piece of cardboard 5x bigger than the old box.

I can't believe you buy ready-made jelly given your opinion of frozen mash. Even I can make jelly. Seriously, ready-made jelly really is the height of laziness.

I can't believe you buy ready-made jelly given your opinion of frozen mash. Even I can make jelly. Seriously, ready-made jelly really is the height of laziness.

:lol:

By that reasoning i think "Aunt B*****" processed potatoe and yorkshire pudding factory should be burned down!! :lol: Even i can make batter mix!!

Theres so many pre=processed foods that are very wastefull both on packaging and resources!! those pasta sauces are another prime example of convienience trash food. They are expensive at approaching �2 a jar for branded stuff when you can make the same from 50p worth of ingredients and 15 minutes time including preparing onions etc. Oh and they taste better as you can make the sauce exactly how you like it.

Same with half the processed pastas/rices. 3 minutes in the microwave for less flavour and more expense when it only takes 12 minutes in the pan?? Insanity!!

And at christmas you need at least THREE bins just to get rid of the wrapping paper and cards they won't take for normal recycling :wallbash:

I'm not sure about the wrapping paper, but the in-laws cut out the pictures from xmas cards and use them as gift tags the next year. At least they get 2 years of use rather than one. :thumbs:

Is there no end to technology?

We've just mastered chip n' pin

now it's chip in bin...

(I'll get me coat :P )

Our council has recently introduced a fortnightly collection of cardboard, green waste and food waste all together in one big green bin- prompting a spate of protest letters to the local papers - two weeks is too long, what do you do when the food smells, etc etc... We also have two other bins, one for plastic and glass and one for paper. I'm happy that the green bin will take shredded paper - I've spent the past week shredding old bills going back to 1997! I don't fancy putting meat in it though. :sick:

Our council's recycling efforts may have gone a bit far though - our local cardboard recycling point features a sign saying

NO DIRE TORIES. It's only on closer examination that you realise some joker has removed the "C". :lol:

I do agree BD that the amount of packaging that comes into our homes is ridiculous. Why shrink wrap fruit and veg such as bananas, kiwi and onions when nature has given them a perfectly adequate wrapping? :wallbash: In many cases there is a plastic tray as well, and our council won't take those. :wacko:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

its all small steps to a Totalitarian state

the big one next up is putting (RFID) chips in us-yes thats right us humans..........

-check it out guys its coming to a town near you soon.....

its all small steps to a Totalitarian state

the big one next up is putting (RFID) chips in us-yes thats right us humans..........

-check it out guys its coming to a town near you soon.....
and for those who refuse to take the rfid chip inside them-well just type in fema into you tube and its not just happing in usa -its happing in the uk too.

NO ones chipping me!! :star:

Im NOT a stray dog!!!

How long until we have a dictator and people with whips on the street to make sure we all walk in perfect lines wearing the same clothes????

ha ha ha Baddad!! I didnt say walking in straight lines was bad!! Thats my vision of perfection!! lanes drawn on the pavements for each direction to speed up flow and make things less stressfull, and a rule where families who walk 5 people accross get 5 years hard labour when they could walk two across or single file!! I dont see why i should jump into road so little "perfect family" can have thier conversation uninterrupted by other people exercising thier right to use the public highway.

I dont want everyone wearing the same, but a uniform structure, based on profession, family etc.IE all teachers where same so i know who to ask! And everyone must have a name badge!! :lol: same in shops especially supermarkets, different departments, different uniforms so i know who to ask :lol:

:o

Now theres a reason to be rebellious Warren.....I don't do conformity ;)

Just to msake my point my new lawn mower makes stripy lawns so I have gone round in circles with it. I am not on the spectrum, just a new age (or some would say elderly) hippie B)

I live in fear of a composting collection being introduced like my mum has...a horrid little smelly bin of kitchen waste

Hee hee, I have one of these bid ... voluntarily! Tea bags go into it, veg peelings, & I'm ecstatic to discover that when I guiltily tumble dry my white towels to keep them fluffy, the lint can go in as its a natural fibre! :thumbs: My council dont do compost yet so I sneak it in the brown bin which is supposedly for garden waste only, but they havent "twigged" yet ... (I'll get my coat too :P )

We get a green wheelie bin - for garden rubbish and kitchen waste - (no meat/fish bones though) - emptied fortnightly.

We also have a new scheme - 60 blue/see-through bin bags have been delivered a few months ago across the entire town to all homes - that's your annual bin bag supply for the year. Of course you can add your own black bags - but you'll have to buy those yourself. We normally one use 0.5/1 a week. Collected weekly.

We have a large plastic sack - for newspapers/magazines/leaflets.

And a black plastic box - for glass and cans/tins -

We also voluntarily collect - Tetrapak cartons - like orange juice or milk cartons -

Plastic Bottles

And Cardboard -

And take them to one of the nearby supermarkets that recycles this stuff (there's two or three).

The council are under a plan that is meant to be completed by the end of this year though - for all households to have another "brown" wheelie bin - which is to be used for newspapers, cans/tins/Tetrapak, Plastic Bottles, Cardboard - and textiles. And also a separate box for kitchen waste - instead of putting the kitchen waste in the green wheelie bin.

But like people have commented, we live in a large town just outside Manchester so we're not badly placed for recycling facilities.

The things that annoy me:

a) the sheer amount of wrapping supermarkets and shops put on stuff in the first place - often it's not neccessary.

B) The fact that nowhere as far as we know will accept other forms of plastic than bottles - things like margarine tubs, yoghurt pots, the plastic casing a pack of bacon comes in etc... Apparently it's something to do with the specific types of plastics used - there are lots of different types - and if you look on any plastic item - it will tell you - it'll be a number - like 2 or 3 or 5 - apparently only types 3 and 4 are worth the hassle recycling both financially and in terms of environmental impact - and they found mainly in plastic bottles - you do sometimes get them in other plastic items - but in order to avoid confusing people most places state they only take plastic bottles.

Luckily, there's no monitored bins yet for us though.

:)

I love this forum!

28 messages in a day - and all about peoples rubbish :lol:

BTW - i have the blue n black wheelies......one for normal household - one for recycled stuff.

I couldn't give a scooby-doo if the council decide to micro-chip my bin. What a fabulous waste of tax-payers money...................... :rolleyes: ..

hmmmmmm, was just reading in the paper that a council had already installed the chips but the whole system failed! The computer on board the bin lorry failed; the chips failed in most cases, and some residents removed the chips themselves :notworthy:

Apparently it cost tens of thousands to set up, all wasted. They might as well have gone and put the money directly into a landfill site!!!!

Flo' :lol:

One should never underestimate a dustman when it comes to knowledge about local goings on. They have been used as covert information gatherers for councils for many years and know just who does and doesn't recycle their rubbish. A friendly chat with a dustman told me this whole microchipping of wheelie bins business can be summed up in one word - Rubbish. This is because a high proportion of the people who don't recycle will be quite difficult to prosecute in practice. Many of them don't even pay council tax.

Flora

some residents removed the chips themselves

Oh yes, way to go!

I heard about chips a while back and check regularly for one put on my wheelie..it might just receive a hammer knock accidentally if I find one ;)

some residents removed the chips themselves

Flo' :lol:

Yeah, I heard about someone taking chips from rubbish bin's in Gravesend....

turned out it was Hev on her way home from a nightclub - she'd left it too late for the kebab shop so she raided the wheelie outside Maccy D's :whistle::devil:

Just to msake my point my new lawn mower makes stripy lawns so I have gone round in circles with it. I am not on the spectrum, just a new age (or some would say elderly) hippie B)

so your lawn looks like a miniture crop circle formation?? :notworthy::hypno:

Wot a coincidence, in our local paper tonight it said the council was abandoning the whole idea. This is AFTER they have microchipped the bins, of course. :rolleyes:

Warren

so your lawn looks like a miniture crop circle formation??

:lol::rolleyes:

Not a chance!

I mow over it if it looks like the grass is getting clear 'cut' lines.

Actually it's looking a bit dry at present as in Scotland we only had 34% of our total rainfall for May. So every thing was a bit dry. We have had a bit or rain now, but still struggling to keep things growing.