Sign in to follow this  
ogsplosh

Not sure if I should apply

Family and Friends (no one professional) has said about me applying for DD who has a initial dx of HFA, one DR said yes and wants another to agree. I'm not sure if I would deserve it though. My husband was very ill with Mental health illnesses and ended up unable to work and having me as a full time carer. He needed 24 hour supervision 7 days a week, he could go into any room alone so we always were together in the same room. To cut a long story short he was awarded high DLA for care and Lower for mobility. If I compare how much time and effort I cared (and still do some days) to how much extra effort it take for our DD it feels wrong. After all everyone has to care for their 6 year old. I don't have her waking in the night and I can leave her alone in a room for a while. All I get from people is 'think of all the extra time you have to give for all her routines and tantrums'. My head is a mess and I remember the stress I had while filling in DH DLA form!

I was thinking of waiting for a solid dx before going for it.

any advice?

I started filling in DLA forms this morning. The PIP's woman from school has been bagering me to do them for a while now so Ive finally got around to it. DS's teacher has done her part and has basically said what high maintanence he is, can't sit still, needs to be watched constantly, can't do group activities at school with out TA support etc. He is waiting for a consultant diagnosis but CHAM's and school treat him as Aspergers (poss ADHD) because thats how he acts. He also has sleep problems which I am exhausted from. He can only be left alone when his sisters are not around or he hurts and agrivates them and I have to sort it all out.

I think its worth you trying, I'm still new to all this but PIP's are sure he will get the DLA and said he is harder work than a lot of the kids she knows who get it and they also deserve it. YOuve got nothing to lose.

Hi,

You will know when or if the time is right to apply for DLA. Not everyone needs it that's for sure. My oldest ds who is 14 gets dla, but I haven't even thought to apply it for my youngest son and doubt very much that I ever will. If you don't think you are providing care over and above that for any child of the same age then you are right to hesitate in applying for it.

Flo' :)