Sign in to follow this  
Toni

is this a common??

Hi i wondered if anyone had experience with bladder control problems, this is quite a recent addition to our list dd is 10 and has not really had major problems before, she did go through bowel problems as a young child and had lactulose for years, this does still cause some problems but never bladder problems, saw gp today and he's prescribed Ditropan he said it would take awhile to work, is this a common problem? Toni

I know that bladder control does appear to be quite common with Aspergers.

Levi (7) still has accidents and wears nappies to bed.. I've recently been told that my therapist suspects I may have Aspergers, and I also have trouble with bladder control. I never seem to need to go until the very last minute and then it's a desperate run to get there! I believe it's a sensory thing.

Hi Toni.Although some children with AS do have difficulties being dry I think it is usually getting dry that is the issue.

If your child had previously not had difficulties then there are a couple of things worth bearing in mind.

It might be worth asking the Dr to send off a specimen to check that your dd does not have an infection.

It might also be worth looking at whether there are external factors such as anxiety or a change in the environment [school toilets being redecorated,change of routine] that have caused the problems with bladder control.Karen.

DS (aged 7) is not dry at night ever and sometimes has trouble at school - the last time was when the toilet was broken (just the seat had come off, but still enough for it to be an issue) and he worried about using it.

Yes I had this trouble when I was young. :tearful:

Hi i wondered if anyone had experience with bladder control problems, this is quite a recent addition to our list dd is 10 and has not really had major problems before, she did go through bowel problems as a young child and had lactulose for years, this does still cause some problems but never bladder problems, saw gp today and he's prescribed Ditropan he said it would take awhile to work, is this a common problem? Toni

Somewhere on this forum I have mentioned DD 12, with bladder probs, wets day and night (4 or 5 wet beds a week and will not wear pull ups) Have tried G.P Incontinence nurse, consultant all to no avail. Apparently it is bcause AS children have poor muscle tone, the nerves are not properly supported and are floppy and weak (in some casses) hence messages to bladder and brain become distorted. My DD has always had this, but it can occour around puberty when children grow, but muscles remain weak. IN conclusion the physically stronger kids are the clearer the messages to the bladder will be (consultants words not mine)

Good luck

Harmony.

Hi everyone thanks for the advice, gp has checked urine sample and no infection showing, interesting what you say harmony as dd has really started to develop physically over the last 6 mths so itcould definately be linked with puberty, thanks again for all of the advice, love Toni