Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

FLIES

DD has a phobia of flys which seems to be getting worse,she screams the place down when she sees one, outside or inside,

there was one on the outside of the car window the other day and she screamed so much we had to pull over and i had to get it off the window.

today there was one in the house, DH got the spray out but couldnt catch it!!!! she screamed and screamed, eventually we calmed her down by wrapping

her up in a large towel with her hands and arms/legs underneath and lying next to me, but then she wouldnt take her arms out of the towel to eat her dinner and i had to give it to her like a baby.

CAMHS consultant is coming in 3 weeks to see her but in the meantime i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what we can do, i cant wrap her up in a towel for hours on end each day!!!!

TIA

My son used to do this. He was absolutely petrified of flies. I found the best thing to do was to ignore the fly and to some extent ignore him. Sometimes, if it was possible, I'd swat the fly and try to get rid of it, otherwise I'd just ignore the fly and tell him there was nothing to be afraid of because flies can't hurt you. It didn't happen over night but eventually he got the message. Jen if you and DH are running around trying to calm her down and get rid of the fly she will pick up on that and read it as reinforcement that flies are scary things. As little reaction as possible and telling her in a calm voice not to be silly 'cos flies aren't dangerous etc, and hopefully eventually she'll take her cues from you.

Flora :D xx

I will screech at flies too. I hate wasps, flies, moths anything that flies around my head. The buzzing noise they make hurts my ears so bad and makes me run around screeching and flapping my arms around. :unsure:

thanks flora :thumbs:

we did at first ignore her and the fly but her screams got louder and louder and the ignoring wasnt working, but i will try it again if thats what worked for you.

thanks

jen

x

Hi jen, wanted to add too.... it wasn't easy because I'm terrified of wasps and moths too! Flies I'm not scared of but I don't like them. I think he'd seen me running from wasps and that's what made him scared of flies! That's why I decided to ignore them and it did work.

Good luck

Flo' x

I will screech at flies too. I hate wasps, flies, moths anything that flies around my head. The buzzing noise they make hurts my ears so bad and makes me run around screeching and flapping my arms around. :unsure:

That sums up my little boy to a t!!!!!

Don't get me going on wasps! I was stung very badly as a child, and the experience has left a life long fear of them. I flap about like a headless chicken when a wasp comes near, which has made my children frightened of them. I have bought something called a Waspinator, which is a fake wasps nest. Wasps are terrotorial and will not go near another wasps nest. I hang it in the garden and it is brilliant. No wasps in my garden!! It can be taken anywhere, like on picnics.

Have you tried putting insect nets accross the windows? You attach a sticky velro strip to the window rims then stick the net on. They let in air but not insects. They are not expensive. My two children scream when anything flying comes in our room, so I bought some and they do help.

When your outside its a bit difficult to avoid flying insects, so not too much advice (sorry)xx

Hi

Exactly the same with OJ and again I'm the same with wasps!! We invested in one of those zapper bats and OJ will take control of the situation by zapping them. Works in the house but agree it is difficult when you're out.

Stella

Aww, bless her.. Levi doesn't like bugs. Wasps are his worst fear though. He was stung very badly last year and now he screams when he sees one.

We got him a fly swat! And he takes it in the garden with him when he wants to play on the trampoline and he seems quite happy. I think it's made him feel safer and more in control of the situation. :thumbs:

Edited by Thompsons

reece is the opposite he loves flys and talks to them..... and folllows it around the room bless him

sorry no help

donnaxxxxxx

DD has a phobia of flys which seems to be getting worse,she screams the place down when she sees one, outside or inside,

there was one on the outside of the car window the other day and she screamed so much we had to pull over and i had to get it off the window.

TIA

Hi,

I remember a similar incident years ago with my daughter - when there was one in the car - I nearly crashed because she was hysterically screaming. She would scream as though someone was really hurting her even if they were outside the window - it was awful.

She wasn't diagnosed asd until she was 12yrs - and it was one of the many severe anxieties that she had at that time (and for years and years before) - during her lengthy assessment at Cahms they did therapy with her on this. Trying to figure out why she was so worried - which they managed to determine - germs (afraid they'd touch her/food etc) plus the noise (like a drill to the head) and the speed (not knowing where they were etc).

She's nearly 15 now and although she still absolutely detests them for all the same reasons - she can abide them without screaming like something serious has happened. Have to say though that my little one is 5yrs old (NT) and she is exactly the same with flies (although her scream is slightly not so shrill - thankfully) - so perhaps it isn't just an asd thing.

Hope you get the same progress too...............

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

hi my son has phobia of flies as well we nearly crashed last year when large blue bottle flew in car and settled on his leg started screaming hysterically luckily was shorty distance away frm somewhere to stop people by house nearby thought he was hurt came running over to help we found a fly gun last summer they really good can kill fly straight away when it lands you can buy them on ebay and gadgets 4 you hes also got venus fly trap in his room just in case they dare to go in there :fight: hope this some help 4 u also u can buy fly sreen material u cut to size ive bought it to fit over bathroom window stops them coming in hope this some help :D:D take care

My dd is scared witless of flies especially blue bottles - I'd say its lasted 6 years so far. We've tried everything you can imagine, we even caught a one and kept it in a container so she could see how harmless they actually were. As you do. :rolleyes:

One funny moment in my parents garden last year when all the family had gathered there - Dd was quite happy talking to what she thought was a wasp hovering over one of mams plants. My brother in his wisdom said "Actually G... thats not a wasp its a fly that disguises itself as a wasp and it is really called a Hover...." he never got to finish the sentence as G up sticks and screamed whilst running back into the house. My brother was :wacko: He said normally its the other way round and kids go screaming when they think its a wasp. Yes welcome to living with autism - never a dull moment :lol:

tilly

Not funny! Our building gets flies really bad in the summer. I'm unable to use the livingroom at the moment because there are so many in there. I can't find the fly spray, they are everywhere. There is easily 40 of them in the whole flat, it is disgusting. :sick:

I found a bottle of fly spray but not the one I wanted (I wanted to find the natural one not the cheapy full of chemicals one). I had to use it as I was fed up of being too afraid to enter my own livingroom. Am now sitting in the room with the least amount of flies (only one or two) listening to the sound of dieing flies (ouch that hurts the ears) whilst trying to keep off an asthma attack due to all the chemicals in the spray. :unsure:

God I am sooo glad I found this thread - I thought Charlie was just going through a phase LOL - he is hysterical when there are flies in the same room as him (which is most of the time since we live in the countryside LOL) - I think I may buy him a swat - that may solve it as he likes to squash things :rolleyes:

I went to our local health food shop, they are pretty good at giving advice about natural alternatives. I kind of mumbled that I needed something for flies that wouldn't set off my asthma. I came out of the shop with some citronella oil that they said to put in an oil burner, the stuff has been great!! Before we would have 30-40 flies in the flat, now nothing! Excellent :thumbs:

We had this big time with our girl. We still have it to some extent with moths. We had CBT and other therapy, we tried everything we could think of. In the house was bad enough. Outside was hell, that's if I could get her out. We went through cans and cans of fly spray, we had a fly zapper and everything. It was no good at all. I can't tell you how bad it was at one point :tearful: She was just screaming in fear all day long and we couldn't helpo her. It's much easier to get over a phobia if it is something partially predictable, but something like flies are not. It helps to understand just how they are feeling. A fly could buzz past them, land on them, it's so unpredticable. It makes them jump and provokes the flight or fright. It goes way beyond fear. For them it is like walking down a dark alley late at night, knowing at some point someone is going to jump out and scare the heck out of them. It really is that serious to them. We were taught the anxiety scale with 1 being bottom of the ladder-no fear, 10 being at the top-total meltdown. We were just told that she needs to be at a 5. It didnt work. Ok it worked to an extent with balloons, but not flies, as the mere sight of one was 10 total meltdown. No amount of explaining helped us, as there was no reasoning with her.

So in the end, not being able to get on top of phobias, and them getting worse. Buses, bugs, cinema, DVD's, fireworks etc, and obsessing so much, she had no quality of life at all, and neither did we. Windows shut in the height of summer etc, her checking everything, screaming, lashing out, hiding, not sleeping. We opted for anxiety meds and that has been more successful than any therapy combined. She now plays in the garden and can tollerate buses. She still gets a little anxious at things, but she does not go into total meltdown lashing out etc. Sometimes she will try to run, but I don't get beaten up and I can reason with her a little!! Best bit is, there have been no side effects at all. It really has been a miracle.

There is a fantastic book called "too loud too fast too bright too light" or something like that. It explains the anxiety responses so well.

Wow....So not just my duaghter who dislikes flies...she wouldn't go into the garden as there were flies in it!!!! and if they come in the house she runs like a fairy!!! I am scared of wasps etc...but flies and moths are ok, but she gets hysterical and wont go near a room if there is flies/moths/bugs...how odd!!!