Bagpuss

Anyone fancy a Northern meet up?

Yep - looking forward to meeting you and JP again. You appeared to be fairly sane ( >:D<<'> ), so I'm hoping you will protect me from all the strange Northerners :wacko::lol:

Are you booked on a train going home? Mine isn't until late (well 7:16pm - it was much cheaper that way) so I was hoping to find somewhere in York (preferable with tea and cake :eat:) to hang around until then, as I'm assuming most people will be going home sooner.

ah - appeared sane, yup that about covers it :wacko: To "pass" as a northerner for the day, wear a whippet on your head & have a flat cap on a lead & no one will bother you. If that doesnt work, offer them tripe.

Our train back is 4:15 :( but I can point you in the direction of a ver ver nice cafe if its still there :thumbs:

Our train back is 4:15 :( but I can point you in the direction of a ver ver nice cafe if its still there :thumbs:

Anyone know what time the shops up North close (I assume due to lack of electric lighting and the high price of gas, as soon as it gets dark, around 2pm? :unsure:). I'm sure I could waste a few hours window shopping - not sure where I'd put the windows though - I only have one and it seems to be fully functional ... :lol: :lol: I wanted to go to The Shambles but I guess it would probably be closed early :( (oh yeah, and I have no idea where it is in relation to the railway station/museum, but that's never stopped me before :rolleyes: )

Thanks to the standardisation of British time following the building of the railway system, shops in York have closed at the same time as shops in London since at least, ooh, 2003. So you could shop till you drop till 6ish, then hammer on the door of the ver ver nice cafe, who will let you in if you do the secret Northern sign through the plate glass window.

And if you have never been in the Minster, I order you to visit it forthwith.

Thanks to the standardisation of British time following the building of the railway system, shops in York have closed at the same time as shops in London since at least, ooh, 2003.

Ah, not true. I bet your shops on a Sunday aren't open at the same time as London shops - ours are 12 - 6pm - it's done to confuse Northerners who have to go in for their tea at 4pm.

And if you have never been in the Minster, I order you to visit it forthwith.

Aha - *legs it to Room 101*

:whistle:

Edited by Mumble

A warning to all Southerners: The North is wet; very very wet. I have literally had to wring my clothes out ... :lol:

I had a lovely day, thanks everyone, despite the interesting train journey taking 6 hours instead of two hours :angry: but I got through quite a few hours before getting too stressed. Sorry I didn't get to speak to many of the others there - I needed some time to calm down from the journey and by that time DMB was leading us on a magical mystery tour of the best that the North has to offer: dirty canals, carpet shops and industrial parks all neatly tied together with lashings of rain and grumpy Northerners :lol: :lol:

:lol:>:D<<'> just walk next time, it will be way quicker.

Well if you will wear poncy southern clotheses not bought at a mountaineering shop what do you expect?

So glad the weather performed as expected & didnt disappoint your preconceptions, and you experienced a few northern customs too: the competitive sport of getting oneself wedged on the walls with ones umbrella, legs dangling in the gale breeze, and tea without bags round it, though I think you have invented a new ritual of drowning the tea strainer in a jug of milk! Best laugh of the day :thumbs: Certainly brought the genteel tea shoppe atmosphere down to our level!

JP says if you think Yorkshire is wet you should visit us in the North West some time :D

We had a great time too, good to meet new peeps/see old ones (me being the old one)

Now get some sleep >:D<<'>

I think you have invented a new ritual of drowning the tea strainer in a jug of milk! Best laugh of the day :thumbs: Certainly brought the genteel tea shoppe atmosphere down to our level!

:oops: You have to admit I did that with some skill - didn't hit the sides or anything but sunk straight to the bottom :lol: That is going to cause a few laughs (probably at completely the wrong moment) when I think about it :lol: :lol:

A warning to all Southerners: The North is wet; very very wet. I have literally had to wring my clothes out ... :lol:

I'd like to contest that statement Miss Mumble - this morning it's sunny, there are white fluffy clouds in the sky and the ground is dry. Where you get the impression that the north is a wet place from just because it rained solidly for the whole time you were here is beyond me (and it was your own fault you had to keep wringing your clothes out - you should have used Thompson's Water Seal on your jeans like us locals do). I reckon you brought the weather with you - it was sunny before you turned up and it's sunny now :devil:

And it wasn't just carpet shops, industrial estates and canals. I checked on the York web site and they were Viking carpet shops, industrial estates and canals (so protected by virtue of being 'historically valuable').

And we're not grumpy - harumph :angry:

Unfortunately it is still wet up in Preston :whistle:

Was great to meet up with everyone yesterday and I'm sorry we missed out on the wet walk around the walls but the kids were happier wandering round the museum and finding ways to spend our money!!!!!

Am looking forward to our next meet already and hopefully the trains will behave and there will be lots of sunshine :thumbs:

Unfortunately it is still wet up in Preston :whistle:

Gloriously sunny in Gateshead, as ever :whistle:

Had a fab time in York yesterday, lovely to see everyone, albeit briefly with most of you but a great day nonetheless. Sue's lads are fab :thumbs:, and Pearl's JP is a babe!

Such a shame about Mumble's train though, didn't leave her much time when she eventually got there. And the rain didn't help as the NRM was packed with families trying to stay dry. Usually there are loads of outdoor activities going on there too but everyone was crammed indoors - not a very Aspie-friendly environment on the day, but I guess you can't plan for these things.

Hope everyone got back home safely. I couldn't believe the pains in my legs when we eventually got back - four hours of driving and the same of walking around completely did me in!

Looking forward to next time.

Karen (hey, I'm in my mid-thirties, you know!!)

xx

Ps: Neil, got your PM and will reply later - frantic school holidays aren't leaving me much time for correspondence!!

Ps: Neil, got your PM and will reply later - frantic school holidays aren't leaving me much time for correspondence!!

Diven' worry pet (as I believe they say in sunny Gateshead) - lot to take onboard in that PM

Where you get the impression that the north is a wet place from just because it rained solidly for the whole time you were here is beyond me

Perhaps because I spotted locals engaged in the Northern tradition of waiting for a bus to go past so they could dry their hands on the engine cooling vents? - that's a sure sign of wet/cold.

And I think I have trench foot now, having peeled off my sodden socks :huh: Your houses may be cheaper but I think I prefer to pay a little more and be able to feel my feet :whistle:

And we're not grumpy - harumph :angry:

Maybe not, but many of your species have fine teeth and fashion style :unsure:

Perhaps because I spotted locals engaged in the Northern tradition of waiting for a bus to go past so they could dry their hands on the engine cooling vents? - that's a sure sign of wet/cold.

I wasn't trying to dry them, just warm them up (there's a difference). You call it a sign of everything 'oop north' being wet, I call it 'resourcefulness' :P

And I think I have trench foot now, having peeled off my sodden socks :huh: Your houses may be cheaper but I think I prefer to pay a little more and be able to feel my feet :whistle:

Perhaps if you wore shoes with laces then the water could have escaped out of the little eyelets :shame:

Maybe not, but many of your species have fine teeth and fashion style :unsure:

Be honest, I did warn you about the teeth and the fashion sense...and we did see some real belting examples of each :whistle: (no-one from the meet-up I'd just like to quickly add - all immaculately turned out)

Pearl's JP is a babe!

Aww, I couldnt possibly comment, being hopelessly biased! Please keep your eyes peeled for a suitable young laydee who might think the same, I'd like someone to take him off my hands make his life complete one day! :lol:

Lovely to meet you & your lad Karen, also the lady whose real name I know but whose forum name I have forgotten, sorry! JP enjoyed the simulator but yes it was getting a bit hot, crowded & shouty after lunch, he was much happier yomping the walls in the downpour & laughing at Mumble slowly dissolving from the feet upwards :lol:

We must do it again some time. Preferably in the South of France.

Edited by pearl

laughing at Mumble slowly dissolving from the feet upwards :lol:

Not funny - I'm a good 4" shorter today and I really didn't have the height to loose in the first place :huh: Still can't work out why I managed to get wetter than you Northerners - I reckon someone was splashing me with water when I wasn't looking :unsure:

We must do it again some time. Preferably in the South of France.

Not likely - if it took me six hours to travel to York, I ain't risking the train to France :lol: :lol:

:shame:

So all that talk of being a perfect gentleman was just a ruse, I take it? :huh:

Yes, instead of being a 'perfect gentleman' I spent all day crawling around behind you flicking water at your ankles :devil:

[i am actually deeply offended by the insinuation that I would ever be anything but a perfect gentleman. OK I may not have opened any car doors, lay my coat over a puddle (why do that? It's not as if most coats could soak up the whole puddle so you'd just be left with a slightly smaller puddle and dripping wet coat) or whatever but I feel that I conducted myself in my usual respectful and dignified manner...and poked fun at the fashionably-challenged. It's not my fault that you kept bursting into fits of giggles is it? Tsk, tsk, tsk :shame:]

Sue's lads are fab :thumbs:

Hope everyone got back home safely. I couldn't believe the pains in my legs when we eventually got back - four hours of driving and the same of walking around completely did me in!

Ah thanks Karen, J is brill as well!!!! Am so glad they all got on ok. :thumbs:

I am really suffering today with exhaustion and my back and legs are killing. Been in bed on and off most of the morning (apart from feeding the boys and checking they are ok!!). Am going back to bed again in a min cos I feel awful :tearful:

Pearl, will reply to your PM later...............!!!! My friends name who came with us is Gilly (GillianRoberts user name I think on here) She was sad she didn't get chance to say hi to Mumble and goodbye to the rest of you but am sure we will catch up again soon and she can talk to you all then!!

Right off to bed while my boys are occupied for a bit.......... :( Think I need a new body!!!! :whistle: