MandyB

Earlybird? Earlybird Plus?

Hi Folks,

Just wondering who's done the Earlybird or Earlybird Plus courses for parents by the NAS? They seem like a great idea as we've just had DS diagnosed with ASD and looking to get all the help we can now! Our little chap is 4 1/2 and starts school in September. There is a space held for us on an Earlybird course for pre-schoolers starting September, but should we wait and do the Earlybird Plus course later on, as it's for 4-8 year olds? Which one would be more suitable do you think? Any help would be welcome!

Thanks

Mandy B

I think you have to have been diagnosed within 18mths so depends on how long since your little one's diagnosis as waiting for earlybird plus may mean its longer than 18mths???.... check on NAS web to be sure I have this right!

I have not attended either course, but should be attending Earlybird course in September, so sorry can't advise which may be best. Sure others will have experience though so will be keeping an eye on the replies! (my little one is only 3 so don't have this dilemma myself)

I am sure when I attended info. meeting about earlybird course the lady said you can't do both......

Edited by westie

Hi, Not attended any early birds, J is too old now, and not got an actual diagnosis, though confirmed to be ASD privately, so havent attended any early bird courses, which for some parents who children are diagnosed when there children are older is why early assessments and diagnosis is very vital to ensure early interventions are offered, I have attended a HELP course and was blown away with the advice and information and the Ive implemented many stratagies.

If It where Me in your situation I would want to do the preschoolers only because J wasnt really 4 at 4, he was a lot like a preschooler, I look back now I cant believe I used physcial force to get him in a school, when it was clear he couldnt cope, wasnt been understood and wasnt been managed effectively, there may be some useful stratagies that could support him in school in september, so incorperating at school and at home.

I would there fore do the preschooler and then progress on to the older children, the most difficult transitions for Primary are obvously the first year, then year 3, then year 5-7. so thats 4 years old, 7,9 10 but for us J struggled all throw years because simply he wasnt given adequate support and management skills.

It may also depend of the ages of the children on the preschooler early birds, maybe check out what ages are already enlisted.

Personally I would want to attend all early bird courses, And I would now, even though Js nearly 12yrs old and just about got an attitude of a 15yr old, but the immaturity of a preschooler at time.

I hope that you enjoy the course, I wish there was a forum early birds course!

JsMum

I did Earlybird Plus and would say it's a great starting point - however by the time we got a place on a course (it was new in our area and there was a backlog) I pretty much knew everything they told us through reading and this forum. Ds was diagnosed just before his 5th birthday and was 6 1/2 before we went on the course. It is useful to get to know the various professionals in your area.

I always though Earlybird sounded better - don't they use videos and such to watch you dealing with your child?

With Earlybird Plus a professional from school is supposed to attend to which would be great in theory but my school didn't feel able to commit to sending anyone so it depends on your school.

I think you have to have been diagnosed within 18mths so depends on how long since your little one's diagnosis as waiting for earlybird plus may mean its longer than 18mths???....

I am sure when I attended info. meeting about earlybird course the lady said you can't do both......

Yes, that's it, you can only do one course not both! The next "plus" course is November so I could do either within plenty of time of diagnosis (only Dx last monday!!).

But as jlp says they use video in your home on the pre school one (scary!) but this could be more beneficial. I'm just worried that there might be a big gap between 3 year olds with ASD and my 4 1/2 year old. (yeah, I know, he's more like a 2 year old at times anyway!!! Aaargh)

Thanks for your replies, appreciate the input. And JsMum, at least we've got the forum to keep us up to date with stuff, even if your "little one" isn't so little now!!

MAndy B

>:D<<'>

Hi, I went on an earlybird course last September and although I pretty much knew everything that was discussed I gained a huge amount from talking to other parents and learning tips that they used. I also started using P.E.C.S. at home as a direct result of the course(even though ds is verbal it has really helped) I have not heard of earlybird plus but it must be what is called here "What now" I am booked on this course in september. its for 5 and over children and deals more with disapline and the problems parents may face as they get past toddler stage.

As a single parent I can take a friend with me and also my mum can attend with a friend on the evening course.

I hated being videoed on earlybird and watching it back in front of the group(why did I not diet in preparation!!!) but I learnt a lot talking to the other mums/carers.

My ds is a climber and one mum said "what does he climb to get?" I said cearal mostly. she said "then move it to a bottom cupbord!" He is still going to get it but without risk!" I enjoyed the talking about our kids. and the thingd we do to cope!

I have put the video aspect of the course to the back of my mind.....

Suppose I ought to tidy up a bit before they come, if everyone watches the clip (and make more efffort with the diet)!!!! :D

Hiya,

The Earlybird & EB Plus courses are both fantastic. :thumbs:

But, as you're in Surrey, and can probably get away with it - the THOMAS (CLICK - THOMAS) training is also a goodie - and as a parent, it will only cost �40. It's aimed at the pre-school ages child - but many parents who attend have children over that age.

:)

We did the EB Plus and would recommend it.

I disliked the fact that you have to be so involved and speak up alot, but it was nice to meet up with other local parents, listen to their ideas and we discovered two fantastic local support groups as a result.

We also learnt alot and I liked the fact that a member of staff from your child's class was also present, so you can work together, and discuss what is working at school and home and what clearly isn't.

Shame the TA in our DD's class was moved to another SN class shortly after we completed the course :rolleyes: