lyns

Tantrums

Hi

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know of any alternative remedies or anything really that might help to calm my sons aggressive tantrums :( . I'll give anything a go, he will be 5 in a months time.

Hi Lyns -

I've not quite worked out how to do 'multiple' links (Yoda Nellie will be along soon - She'll sort you out!), but here's one to an earlier thread you should find useful:

"LINK"

There's also quite a bit in a thread called "Top Tips" found in the "TopBox" of the help and advice section; this covers other stuff as well, but has a fair bit on behaviour management.

Also, try searches using the spyglass top right looking for "123 Magic", "star charts", "social stories", "extinction" and "distraction". Sorry i can't do a better job of pulling this all together for you, but I hope it helps.

Very very best - i know how you're feeling.

BD :D

Hi Lyns,

You are not alone, lots of parents have this problem as you will see from the following links. If you feel medication is the only answer then I think you should be talking to your GP.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Nellie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Violent Tantrums, How do you cope?

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=27&hl=

Top Tips, Managing strategies

Managing

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=497

Hi all,

As I mentioned in my profile, it isn't curable and continues rest of life. I still have it.

The best thing is to give the comfortable living environment. Other than is less important and not good for the

patient.

Goody,

Hi

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know of any alternative remedies or anything really that might help to calm my sons aggressive tantrums :( . I'll give anything a go, he will be 5 in a months time.

Hi Lyns, some ideas for alternative therapies/remedies....(be warned...None of these are cheap!)...

Cranio-Sacral Therapy This is a very gentle (almost imperceptable movements) manipulation of the skull and the joint at the top of the spine/base of the skull. It stems from such practices as chiropractic and osteopathy, and practitioners believe that tension occurs during birth, as a result of the baby moving through the birth canal, and this tension stays with some of us throughout our lives. (Don't know what they'd say about a cesarean birth!). I tried this with my DS, but unfortunately he wouldn't let the practitioner touch him :rolleyes: so maybe not so good for those with sensory issues...If he will let the practioner workon him, it could be very good at relaxing him.

Guided Meditation There are many pre-recorded guided meditations for children on the market. These good for helping children to relax before bed, helping them to drift off gently. Regular meditation can help with relaxation and calm the mind even when you're not actually meditating! However, G has to be told regularly that he has to actually listen to the man, and do as he says!!! (read Mumble's post on the insomnia thread recently for a good laugh on this one!)

Homeopathy Homeopathy is considered by many to be incredibly helpful. I have personal experience of its benefits, as I suffered from a recurring illness that had doctors stumped...I was visiting the hospital monthly and weekly when I had an 'attack', so that all sorts of doctors could have a look at me, but nothing made me better. A good homeopath was able to give me a remedy that got rid of my illness for ever! (yes, I know it's hardly a scientific experiment, but I guess you had to be there!) A homeaopath could prescribe remedies for some of the issues surrounding your son's temper tantrums, but I would recommend that you shop around carefully for a good one, go on personal recommendation if you can. Also, homeopathy is not cheap...you really need to see a trained practitioner, as well...your son's situation is likely to be much too complex to treat at home with over the counter remedies.

Aromatherapy Essential oils can have a good effect on children...even something as simple as soaking a face cloth in cold water with a couple of drops of lavender oil in it, and using this as a cold compress on G's forehead works a treat...he calms down very quickly. He often asks for some 'smell at night if he can't sleep. I use different essential oils at different parts of the the day, to help us through....citrus oils help us wake up with a 'zing' in the morning, rose and geranium keep us calm and relaxed, tea tree oil with lavender or pepermint if someone's ill..

Bach flower essences A bit like homeopathy, these require a bit of a leap of faith... the theory is that the 'essence' of different flowers can help us to regain balance in our emotions and combat stresses in our lives. The most well-known of these is the Bach Rescue Remedy, which is often given for shock. I have a constitutional remedy for myself, and another for G, which we take in water/drinks throughout the day. In addition, when he's had a major outburst and needs to calm down, a nice cold glass of water with 4 drops of Rescue Remedy works wonders (we both have one!).

Crystal Healing This is quite hard-core 'wacky'...the idea is that different types of crystals have different 'vibrations', and help us to regain balance by somehow acting on our internal vibrations. I don't really buy into this myself, but my reflexologist is a great one for it, and I must say I've had some very strong reactions whenever she's worked on me with crystals, or when Ive meditated with crystals. Different crystals have different properties, and there are numerous guides on the web.

All of these are considered by many to be quackery and a load of old rubbish. I would not usually suggest any to anyone on this forum (except perhaps the Rescue Remedy, and lavender oil, which I think has become quite mainstream now), but you have specifically mentioned it in your original post.

I must warn that there are alot of people out there who are more thann willing to exploit a parent's natural desire to find 'the answer' or even 'a cure'...and they will make you pay through the nose for it as well! My advice would be to look very carefully at any practitioner's qualifications, and check that these are from reputable establishments. Only go to a practitioner you can get on with and who you like...and preferably get a personal recommendation. And if they offer to 'cure' your little one, run a mile! The most they can do is treat the symptoms, and help him to relax.

Also, as others have said, you also need to be working on some good behaviour management strategies, applied consistantly.

Finally, I'll leave you with something a therapist once said to me when I was at my wit's end, and ready to drive my darling boy out into the woods and leave him there (!)...

"Shine the Love Light on him..." :notworthy:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Just noticed I've replied to a topic started 4 years ago !!!!! :lol::lol::lol::P

Lyns, Your DS is noe 9...hope you found some good alt therapies to help him!!! :ph34r: