Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

He won't calm down, edited to say he's calmed down now.

He's got back from trampolining and has gone downhill from there. He was "talking to his mind" in the bath and he screamed at me as I asked what he said as I thought he was talking to me. He is very obsessed with Mario and said the good "T" has gone and has been replaced by the bad "T"..

He said he can't sleep, eat and he is bad, he can only be ok playing Mario. He's wrecked his room, given himself a nosebleed hit me, kicked me and he has been doing this for 2 hours now.

He has recently had his doseage put up from 10 mg fast release and then 30mg slow release ritalin, to 10 mg fast release in morning and 40 mg in the afternoon. He's uncontrollable..

I've taped him on the camcorder as it's really bad, he won't stop shouting and swearing and shrieking. Is it the constant Mario playing (he does have breaks) or the increase in dosage, and how can I calm him down. I'm so worn out :tearful:

He is now being held down by the DH as he is biting and lashing out.

Edited by Cariad

Oh no! >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Is it just today, did something happen at trampolining? Does he have a trampoline at home? DS's psychologist suggested getting him to go on the trampoline for a mad session to get things out of his system and help him sleep just before bed. The only other thing that calms DS down is being on his own in his room. Clutching at straws really.

>:D<<'>

Phone the paed in the morning!!!!, it sounds like Ritalin isn't the drug for him. I'm sure I've read that it can cause aggression and hyperactivity in some children and that concerta is better suited in those cases (just my recall of posts, hopefully someone more experienced will advise soon)

Hope he calms down soon, good luck ((((hug))))

A x

I've managed to put him in the bed with me and cuddle him and take him out of his room away from DH, he had worked himself up soooooooo much he couldn't stop. Sorry to sound like a drama lama but that was really bad..

The DH is now reading Dr Who to him..

I'll be taping that onto a DVD and showing his teacher and therapist, thanks everyone who replied, I really appreciate it a lot! >:D<<'>

Edited by Cariad

You poor thing, I sure know what you are going through, it could be the medicene but 10mg is not that big an increase, my DS, same age an similar dx as your has had these shocking metdowns, for hours at a time, the only way we got them under a bit of control was by ignoring them, we did have a lot of damage but it really worked, as anything you say/do is fueling it. It is soo distressing I know, what we go through with our children! thank god for this site as there is always someone who has had a similar experience and it really helps, good idea to video it, i did it once and people were really shocked! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

You poor thing, I sure know what you are going through, it could be the medicene but 10mg is not that big an increase, my DS, same age an similar dx as your has had these shocking metdowns, for hours at a time, the only way we got them under a bit of control was by ignoring them, we did have a lot of damage but it really worked, as anything you say/do is fueling it. It is soo distressing I know, what we go through with our children! thank god for this site as there is always someone who has had a similar experience and it really helps, good idea to video it, i did it once and people were really shocked! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

Enid I've read your posts and it's so draining. You just know that once they start you can kiss goodbye to the day/night, it's so horrible. I'm worried about the things he says. He said "The screaming got the bad toby out and I'm fixed" he says there are duffesses in his head..he is talking to himself more and more..

Glad to hear he's calm now. Hope you are ok, a glass of wine is in order for you now I think

A bottle more like, I could do with a vineyard with T lol

Enid I've read your posts and it's so draining. You just know that once they start you can kiss goodbye to the day/night, it's so horrible. I'm worried about the things he says. He said "The screaming got the bad toby out and I'm fixed" he says there are duffesses in his head..he is talking to himself more and more..

Are you seeing CAHMS? I would be worried. My DS once said when he calmed down from a meltdown, the devil didnt get out that time!!! it really freaked me out. He used to say lots of things like that, he is on resperidone at the mo as well as ritalin, 60mg a day, thats the biggest dose allowable, he`s been lovely tonight an this time last night I was soo down, as I thought , I cant do this anymore. Just thank god you have a husband to hold him down! and no younger children. My daughter, aged 9, won the end of term cup for endeavour :thumbs: all thats going on and she still tries her best at school and just knows that when he "goes off on one" everyone else takes second place, its so unfair, and yet she has never once said it, it makes we want to weep. Enid

Are you seeing CAHMS? I would be worried. My DS once said when he calmed down from a meltdown, the devil didnt get out that time!!! it really freaked me out. He used to say lots of things like that, he is on resperidone at the mo as well as ritalin, 60mg a day, thats the biggest dose allowable, he`s been lovely tonight an this time last night I was soo down, as I thought , I cant do this anymore. Just thank god you have a husband to hold him down! and no younger children. My daughter, aged 9, won the end of term cup for endeavour :thumbs: all thats going on and she still tries her best at school and just knows that when he "goes off on one" everyone else takes second place, its so unfair, and yet she has never once said it, it makes we want to weep. Enid

I think we have the lot Enid, we have CAHMS and a psychologist who comes to the house every 2 weeks and respite etc. He is so complex and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with him. Saying about his brain not working etc worries me, what is going on in there? A book I've got is helpful about AS and I have tried them out, but it's the meltdowns and mornings try me mad. Also his food, only burgers and toast and coco pops :wallbash:

He's got back from trampolining and has gone downhill from there. He was "talking to his mind" in the bath and he screamed at me as I asked what he said as I thought he was talking to me. He is very obsessed with Mario and said the good "T" has gone and has been replaced by the bad "T"..

He said he can't sleep, eat and he is bad, he can only be ok playing Mario. He's wrecked his room, given himself a nosebleed hit me, kicked me and he has been doing this for 2 hours now.

He has recently had his doseage put up from 10 mg fast release and then 30mg slow release ritalin, to 10 mg fast release in morning and 40 mg in the afternoon. He's uncontrollable..

I've taped him on the camcorder as it's really bad, he won't stop shouting and swearing and shrieking. Is it the constant Mario playing (he does have breaks) or the increase in dosage, and how can I calm him down. I'm so worn out :tearful:

He is now being held down by the DH as he is biting and lashing out.

MARIO

i have this in my house-maybe not as bad -but going back a bit it was till i got the melatonin at night

i take the mario stuff of him well both my boys and make them go at least a week without it-i tell you they go crazy-its like a drug to them-first thing upon waking is mario-i couldnt take no more-so the lot went away-it seems to work temp-if it starts up again i do it again....they now catching on they will lose it all if it keeps happening. >:D<<'>

hi there,

oh, im so very sorry to hear about your son, it must be so frightening and draining for you - AND for him too !

you both must be worn out,

as i was reading your post, i instantly thought of a Weighted Blanket for him - they weight of the blankets CALM the Childs BODY which in turn have a CALMING effect on the MIND - therefore aiding relaxation & concerntration.

They really do work wonders - i have made 1000+ of these now, and the letters i get back from parents/carers/teachers/physios ect have been tearfull to say the least - i also use them for my DS too, he doesnt have anger/aggression outburts as bad as your son - however since using the blankets he has improved ten-fold.

I dont want to go on about how i make them, and how good they are - you must make your own mind up - but i believe your son could be crying out for some Deep Pressure Therapy which is what these blankets provide.

Another thing you could try instead of forking out �100 on a Weighted Blanket, is to use old fashion HEAVY WOOL blanket - the ones with the silk/satin arround them - you can normaly pick them up in a charity shop

you could try this to see if it helps him

i wish you the best of luck - mel xx