Clare63

Stuck on the top of the rollercoaster...

Hello everyone,

Have not been around much and sorry for not keeping up with your posts and all what's been going on. I was such a forum junkie and would have to have my daily fix and keep tabs on everyone, not being able to log off until I had viewed all the new posts. Well I am now well behind :rolleyes:

Things here had been progressing very well, still working with our COOS mentor, who is fantastic and now have a tutor for five and a half hours a week.

The EA had found 3 schools to look at which got whittled down to one with an assessment booked for this Thursday & Friday. A huge amount of preparation has gone into getting Connor ready for his assessment, several visits, meeting his teacher, having photographs of the staff and pupils. Connor was ready and reasonably happy about going, which has been a enormous step forward for us.

I could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and that with a space for him at the school in September we could, after a year out of school, finally start moving slowly forward.

That light was switched off last Friday when the school phoned to say the EA have cancelled the assessment as they had been to panel and the panel refused to fund it. I was and still am mortified. Being a Friday, could I get hold of anyone ???? dam voice mail grrrr

I am still trying to get to the bottom of this, but it appears that our EA case worker has gone long term sick and the person who picked up our case, had not realised the other two schools in the equation had not been able to meet Connor's needs and therefore would not offer an assessment. The panel felt we should have gone for the cheaper option either one of the other 2 schools, not knowing that they could not meet Connor's needs. We now have to wait to go to panel again which is a week this Thursday.

Hopefully they will agree, but we will now have to wait until September, due to school holidays.

My son is so disappointed, so many of us, family and proffesionals working with us, had built him up to this and now its all come crashing down. I am so angry, upset, frustrated, probably every emotion going......I feel so let down.

I am trying hard to get my fighting spirit back, so if anyone feels like giving me a kick up the bum I would very much appreciate it.

Hope to catch up with you all again soon and I hope you don't think badly of me for coming back when I am in trouble, but I honestly just have not had the time as my focus has been on getting my son through the assessment this week.

Thanks for listening.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Oh, Clare, I don't know about a kick up the bum, but I'll certainly give you some of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I read the first half of your post feeling so positive and relieved for you, hearing how things are coming together, but to see how you've been made to come crashing down is really devastating. :tearful: I really feel for you and Connor and he must be so confused about what's going to happen. Why do you have to go through another panel? Surely if the other two schools aren't suitable then they should just revert to the original decision? I don't understand why they have to put you through it all again when the decision seemed to have been made and it was their error that caused the mix-up. Do you think it's just a formality and that you will get the place that has been promised after all? I really, really hope so and I hope they have the decency to let you know straight away and not leave you hanging about all Summer waiting to find out.

Glad to see you back and really, really hope you get the outcome you deserve. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Clare >:D<<'>

You already know my thoughts on this :angry: . Will keep everything crossed for the next panel meeting :pray:

Flora XXX

Clare, we have been through lots of stuff like this. A person goes off sick or leaves and you have to go through your story all over again. We have been let down an hour before our son was meant to be going somewhere, and had to try and explain whats happening.

At the moment, we are getting ready for a huge battle. They have picked the wrong family to cross, and i can't go into detail here but i will when i get some facts.

Its one long fight i'm sorry to say. From getting a diagnosis, to fighting for the right education, getting the benefits your chils is entitled to, getting services, the list goes on.

Just say to yourself this is for my child, i will do my best to get the best for them.

To be honest my name is mud in our town. I speak my mind and a lot of the so called experts don't like the truth. Tough. Thats the way i am and the way i'll always be.

I won't kick your ar*e, i'll come and help you kick theirs. >:D<<'>

Clare, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this. Don't they understand the effect this has on you and Connor?

I have to agree with oxgirl - can they not just look at what's happened and revert to the original decision. I can't believe you have to go through it all again :wallbash:

I don't have any experience of this myself, but have you tried the local government ombudsman - here's a link , or your MP ?

I hope you get it sorted out before the hols

>:D<<'> Nicky >:D<<'>

Thanks Guys, for your kind words of support and encouragement.

Have found out that they go back to panel tomorrow and from my conversation today with our "new" caseworker there appears to be a catalogue of errors, not that of course he admited that in so many words.

I also asked, again, where the revised statement was, this case worker told me only last week it was with the statement writer, today he says he got to take the points I queried to panel ..... :angry: when I asked why he had changed his story from last week, he said sorry I got it wrong.

I certainly let him know my dissatifaction and how I knew my rights, that I am not prepared to let them mess my son around again.

So for now I will await the out come of the panel and gain some much needed strength to battle again.

Will keep you posted.

Clare x x x