fiorelli

Eye Opener.

I had to write that letter to the LA about L's Annual Review over the weekend.

At one point, I wrote about his NC levels. What an eye opener. I have never really looked at them all together before. In a couple of places, it very much looks as if he has gone backwards!

Looking back at Louis's N.C. Levels for Reading, Writing and Maths, (as recorded in his reports, and Annual Review Reports) we see that in

Year 1, Louis achieved levels; Reading 1B Writing P6 Maths 1A

Year 2, Louis achieved levels; Reading 1 Writing 1 Maths number 1c shape and space 1b handling data W

Year 3, Louis achieved levels; Reading 1b Writing 1c Maths number 1c shape and space 1b handling data 1

Year 4, Louis achieved levels; Reading 1a Writing 1b Maths number 1b shape and space 1a handling data 2

Year 3, Reading age 6.7 Number age 6.4

Year 4, Reading age 6.7 Number age 6.4

This sounds a lot like Z. On a good day gets a slightly higher score than on a bad day.

Her levels are always all over the place. If she sits test with a reader and a scribe in a quiet, plain room then her scores are far better than in a conventional setting without support. In recent yr 7 tests she gained an 82% with support but without the support and in an ordinary classroom setting she attained a mere 27%. Don't pay to much attention to the numbers. A lot of what our kids know is in their heads but managing to put it down on paper is where the problems lie. If only the teachers could do more bout it

This sounds a lot like Z. On a good day gets a slightly higher score than on a bad day.

Her levels are always all over the place. If she sits test with a reader and a scribe in a quiet, plain room then her scores are far better than in a conventional setting without support. In recent yr 7 tests she gained an 82% with support but without the support and in an ordinary classroom setting she attained a mere 27%. Don't pay to much attention to the numbers. A lot of what our kids know is in their heads but managing to put it down on paper is where the problems lie. If only the teachers could do more bout it

I'll second that. At this year's annual statement review DS2 went up 5 levels in numeracy since last year's review, but he can't use anything that he's supposedly 'learned'. He kind of does it robotically, with someone supporting him, but can't use it functionally. It's like spellings - at 8 he has the spelling age of an 11-year-old, but doesn't know the meaning of the words and never uses them!!! Farcical, really. As far as he's concerned, these levels are meaningless.

Lizzie :whistle:

>:D<<'> Fi,

For me - that's the worse part. Having something, in black and white, always, always knocks me sideways - even when i know what written within it.

And sometimes, when we're so focused on writing all these flippin' reports, letters, etc, it can feel like that's not our child, the emotional pull is not so obvious, iyswim.

Then, all of a sudden - you realise it is your little one...

>:D<<'>

Thanks for replying all.

Smiley, I think you're right. It is the black and white that does it. However, it useually takes me to read something a few times, put it down for a while and read it again - or as in this case - have to write a report all out myself - to actually 'see' what the problems are.

I think I might have started something that I'm not sure where it is going to end up. That paragraph above was preceeded by this one...

"This meant that our list of questions were met with 'I don't really know... He seems to be doing ok.', or 'he is on track to get a level 4 by the time he comes to leave us', 'we would be looking at integrating into a mainstream school in year 6'. All of which left us with great concerns, as although we would love this to be the case, we simply cannot see how Louis can achieve this in less than 2 years and be ready to reintegrate into mainstream schooling."

We also wrote this bit...

"We would also like to take this chance to ask to have a 24 hour curriculum added to Louis's Statement of Special Educational Needs. For the last school year, Louis has had a placement within the L at *** School. We feel that this has been beneficial for Louis as it has given him opportunities to learn how to interact more appropriately with people both his age, and older. It also gives him good opportunities to learn how to live with other people. It has been a way of improving his personal goals as well as his educational ones. In Louis's Annual Medical Review, conducted by Dr ***** on 21.06.07, she says that ?There is a plan of trying to accommodate him in School L*** (Resi) and I feel that this might be very helpful in providing the kind of environment which will help Louis to feel less anxious in.? (we have attached a copy of this report).

Due to the above, we believe that *** Special School is no longer the best placement for Louis. We are therefore looking to you to both add the need for a 24 hour curriculum to his statement, and to ask you for a change in placement."

I am also in the process of trying to sort out a private SALT assessment. (I have him on the waiting list for NHS)