Mumble

Well that was fun ...

The whole area of suicide/attempted suicide is enormously sensitive.

This is just my opinion and not a criticism of anyone, but please could we be extra careful in our choice of language, for example, referring to people as 'jumpers', or whether a particular bridge is a good place to jump and so on :(

For anyone personally affected by this subject or struggling with such difficulties within their family, these kinds of comments (although innocently meant) can be extremely upsetting.

Bid :(

Well I'm sorry if I upset anyone using the phrase "jumper" but I believe it is a term used by the police and that is the context (i.e. as a technical phrase) I used it in referring to how the police may have perceived the situation - I didn't use it as a flippant reference.

I find reading references to suicide stressful and am aware that I have not been subtle.

If this post may be stressful for you then feel free to ignore it.

quote name='Sallya' post='224787' date='Jul 18 2008, 11:20 PM']Mumble,

Sorry about your arm......if they don't 'think' it might be broken, then there's always the possibility that it is....has it had an x-ray...that's the only way to be completely certain.......

I read your first post, very, very carefully.

From what I understand- a member of the public called the police because they were concerned.

A wpc grabbed your arm.

You reacted.

what else followed happened because of your reaction.

Do you think that if the WPC had spoken to you, explained that a phone call had been made because a member of public was concerned that you would have reacted differently and the rest wouldn't have happened?

It's good that someone made the phone call- too many people just walk past without caring or doing anything or wanting to get involved.

I've been looking after patients for 20 years, that first approach is so important.

I always introduce myself before I do anything. I always explain what I am going to do. I never make patients jump. That includes the elderly, cancer patients, heart/stroke patients, children, orthopaedic patients, attempted suicides, psychiatric and aggressive patients. It makes such a difference to how patients react to me. Other nurses who go steaming in - make the situation worse.

Anyway, that was just my take on what happened.....

hope it doesn't make things worse.......I totally understand all the issues around terrorists...but think that that only occured to them when you reached for your bag.....before that I think they were concerned about a possible suicide.

s

xxx

Sallya.I worked as a nurse for many years both in the community and in various hospital settings in Inner London.

I watched a programme on TV during the last few days which examined exactly the work of the river police in dealing with potential suicide....and unfortunately frequently [more often than not once somone decides to jump] completed suicide from bridges on the Thames.

Unfortunately attempts to jump from London bridges are a frequent occurence...several times per week.

Emergency services have set extremely well practiced procedures in place.

I have to say that the River Police on the programme were not the most emotional empathetic individuals I have come across although highly professional.However as I woud not expect any professional I know to spend every other working day dealing with retreaving bodies from the Thames with the occasional success [measured as rescuing somone in an extremely distressed state....who may well return at some point to try again] I can understand an element of professional fatigue.

Having worked as a District Nurse in the Community in Inner London I can say very clearly that methods of supporting patients in hospital....even in challenging situations should not be transferred to the community where a Risk Assessment would always include an assessment of the risk to members of the public and professionals involved.

It is also recognised in nursing that nurses even highly qualified nurses are not trained or qualified to provide emergency intervention in the community unless they have undertaken training with one of the recognised providers.That covers for example first aid at the scene of an accident.

Emergency services are experts and qualified in the field and would be far more able to assess the situation.

I think potential suicide in an emergency situation in the community comes into the same category as above.

The other very important factor that nobody here appears to be thinking about is the impact on all involved when an individual does complete a suicide.

Professionals in the field live daily with the impact of completed suicide.

I am going to be painfully blunt because I think it is worth saying.

Living with the guilt of having witnessed a completed suicide and having not been able to do anything never ever goes away.

I may appear to be uncaring.However having witnessed a completed suicide at the age of nine I think I am entitled to an opinion.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hi guys :)

I think the time has come to lock this one and let it sink :unsure: as the subject matter surrounding the incident is uncomfortable ground for many members (not all of whom have expressed their distress in this thread).

The actual event has been discussed from evey angle, and as it's an historical event there's nothing that can be resolved by further reflection. After two days I think most have had the opportunity to express their sympathy with and concern for mumble, and anyone who has missed that opportunity can still do so via the PM system.

L&P

BD :)