rainbow queen

my son who is 7 has a verucca

my son who is 7 has a verucca

i have been to 2 drs now to try a nd sort this out

first one gave me cream to put on and use nail file everynight

as you can imagine this went down like a lead weight-to the point of people in the street would think a murder was going on

i gave up and went saw another one

who said just leave it if its a battle -will take a year to go..............said dont bother no need to worry going swimming...............am i imagining this lot.............

i said but its really hurting him hes dx asd and finds walking hard anyway...............cant u freeze it off-his reply was it would be really painful and they dont do it on kids usually...............

veruccas are a virus are they not and they spread -and tonight my sons foot looks 5 times worse and hes just had a wailing screaming match with me over it all again...............

i attempted to use file again -as its clearly a big lump but all hell broke loose and now im all worked up/

looked at net drs thing and theres hardly no appointments tomorrow for him...............what do you think i should do?

anyone had this?

i feel like e mailing the practice or phoning the nurse as when i said hes dx asd -they look at u like sooo what..........surely drs should relise how this effects there senses more and there feet ect............feeling quite angry now...........

Hiya -

Ben had one a year or so ago... GP said to cover it day and night with duck tape, and use a pumice stone or emery board every other day to get rid of the dead skin.

Couldn't be bothered to track down duck tape, so just went with waterproof plasters, but it worked a treat! Ben was very unhappy at the emery board bit, so i bought a special Chiropodists version (Dr Schhhh, you know who) from the local chemists - it's like a small, thick plastic spatula with a different grade of pumice on each side. With that, he could do it himself, and actually quite enjoyed it as it was a very 'grown up' thing to do. Took about two weeks tops to go completely.

One word of advice, SOAK the plasters off when changing, otherwise you could pull the skin or even 'unplug' the varruca :oops:

Prior to this we'd been using all the creams etc, and they weren't doing a thing. Duck tape, if you want to do it properly, is an all purpose insulation/waterproof repair tape. It's American, but you can now find it in most of the big DIY shops.

:D

hi

thank you very much for the reply -i will be doing this,,,,,

the nail file did nothing -i think i know which ones u mean do they look more like a grater type metal thing?

i imagine that would get the lump down better than a emery board..............

shall be out hunting for duct tape tomorrow.........

poor lad has gone sleep with exhaustion of it all.......

rq xxx

Hiya - no, it's not metal, it's blue 'pumice stone'...

I think Duck Tape is the brand name - it is a duct tape, but it's not the same as the 'ducting' tape they use in ventilation systems and stuff...(?)

:D

Hi

Now I know this sounds mad but honest it does work.............. if you get a piece of banana skin and put it over the verruca held on with a plaster and a sock over night only and do it every night for about a fortnight hey presto verruca gone!

its to do with the enzymes in the peel.

my son also had 3 verucas. We use the cream and filled it with the punice stone, but it did not go.

So he had it frozen (cryo) but this still not work.

So we listened to the podiatrist and left it alone and one day we woke up and all 3 had gone.

It is a virus and eventually the body does fight it off.

We are over run with them after finding our first one ever on DS's foot after the Greenwich meet last year.

Ironically a few years ago youngest DD asked for a verucca for her birthday.

DS has four now and has an appointment with the GP tomorrow (wart clinic) to have them frozen off.

Eldest DD has one, and youngest DD has two.

We've virtually cleared out the chemist with gels, creams, lotions, potions, DIY freezing................all to no avail, infact they are spreading.

We've been really careful about not sharing towels etc, but still, there seems to be no stopping them.

I've heard about the above suggestions, banana skin, duct tape, leave it alone until the body builds up it's own immunity.

We use that well known karate kid brand, after every bath, and after filing down, for both DD's now, and we are hoping that eventually they will build up a resistance.

With DS we were so concerned about how rapidly they were spreading we felt it was appropriate to take him back to GP.

I really really wouldn't push to have the varruca frozen off, it is very painfull indeed and it also didn't work in my case. It blistered an area on the bottom of my foot about a centimeter round and I found it ver painful to walk for a few weeks afterwards. Seriousely, if you want to get your son into the doctors again please don't make him have his varruca frozen, I was an adult and I would rather pour metholated spirits into a large open wound than have to go through that again. The doctor thought it was funny!!

They do go away on their own eventually, mine took a few years my but son's took about a year. All kids get them at some time or another and you can still go swimming with them, it's not like the life guards are going to check everyone's feet on entering the pool and that is probably where he caught it from in the first place.

The nurses at work swear by taping a little piece of banana skin oper the verucca (white side down). Change every day.

Bid :)

I had no success with the usual treatments and was recommended 'Wartner' which you can buy at the chemist - it did sting but only needed one application whereas there was no way my son was going to let me near him with a file!

Hi

only just joined - my 8 year old recently had 2 on his foot - would have thought it was the end of the world, wouldnt let me use the sticky tape/plaster technique and he wouldnt leave them alone, so in the end i bought some Scholl stuff for veruca's and i only had to put it on twice and they went, not as expensive as some of the other treatments about!

Sally x

This sounds absolutely ridiculous but it really does work. Rub an octopus eye (yes octopuses have eyes) on the area once a day for about a week. I had a verucca that was totally resistant to just about every cream applied over a period of over a month. The doctor said it would have to be burned out with a blowtorch. After a week of rubbing it with octopus eyes it had vanished.

Spooky how these topics crop up just as you need them!!

My DS1 is v upset at the mo cos one of his (many) veruccas is actually like a big wart on one of his toes and it's hurting when it rubs against the next door toe. He wants me to get it off, and I was just wandering 'how?'

Have got some good ideas, now! I'm very tempted by the banana one, but I'm not sure if he'll go for it cos bananas - just the smell - make him gag. But I can't imagine using a file or similar - he'd go ballistic.

BTW, I also had a verucca frozen off in early adulthood. It blistered up so enormously that i couldn't walk for days - real agony - and it didn't kill the thing off anyway.

Good luck, everyone! Let's reconvene in a fortnight to (hopefully) share out stories of success!!!

Lizzie :thumbs: