sjb

Licking Stuff

Does any of your ASD children lick stuff?

mostly it's my arm or putting his baby sisters fingers in his mouth, licking toys, furniture etc

Sallyx

My kids have never done this but I have heard of other people whose kids lick things. I've read varying explanations, ranging from dietry sensitivies to sensory issues.

Flora

Hi Sally

My youngest (not AS, but traits) licked everything when he was little, including shoes and other revolting things. I think it stopped around school age and now (7yrs) he generally sniffs things instead - though sometimes with new things, still can't resist a little lick.

I think it is his way of understanding the world - combining the visual with taste senses.

We think he will be a great perfumer or chef when he grows up!

Best wishes

Delyth

My dd is a licker, it seems to be her way of exploring an object....bit yuck though! :sick:

She chews things too, I've used anti nail biting stuff in the past :ph34r:

A x

He used to but not so much so now-he used to lick people-it drove my stepdaughter mad.

Hi, ds currently likes to lick cars! only if has been raining or have morning due on them! big sniffer of people too!

It is something I will never understand but means car parks in the rain are a real hazerd!

My child licks sucks and chews everything. She is very much like a toddler in the way she explores things with her mouth. We have not eliminated the problem, but with some advice from the OT on sensory integration we have reduced it loads. She has ice cubes, space candy (although she does get scared of it sometimes) chewy tubes, apple sauce sucked through a staw, raw carrot. The OT says she needs a great deal of sensory input in her mouth. We have recently introduced a new diet which has been working fantastically. During lunch times she now has a variety of tastes and textures. First she has an ice cube, then she has crisp rolls or ryvita, cheese, nuts, snack a jack, fruit loaf, and sliced apple for example. She is actually mouthing and licking a lot less. Plus she is not constantly asking for food, or trying to steal it.

My 11 year old son does that he has always got something in his mouth. It gets quite embarressing when we are out and about.

Not much help really. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>