rainbow queen

Autism parents 'infection risk'

just came by this tonight as i was checking out the news -http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7513661.stm

ive thought this all along

i get really scared of being ill-and i do seem to have a weak chest-i go downhill fast...when i get colds ect.......

ive printed this off for future reference-as it really highlights what stress we are under....and others do not see this at times i feel..................

Page last updated at 23:29 GMT, Saturday, 19 July 2008 00:29 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Autism parents 'infection risk'

Child with autism

Children with autism struggle to communicate with those around them

Caring for children with developmental problems such as autism or Down's syndrome can weaken parents' immune systems, research suggests.

Researchers at Birmingham University found they had a poorer immune response to a vaccine against pneumonia.

It appears that stress causes the immune system to function less efficiently, the team wrote in the journal Brain, Behavior, and Immunity.

Charities called for better support for parents struggling to cope.

Previous work has shown negative effects in elderly people caring for a spouse - but this is the first time that a similar result has been seen in a younger, healthier group providing round-the-clock care, the researchers pointed out.

This is a good indication that their immune systems are not functioning efficiently

Stephen Gallagher, study leader

A total of 60 parents received the pneumococcal vaccine as part of the study - half of whom had children with developmental disabilities.

Blood tests showed that those caring for a child with developmental disability had lower levels of antibodies to the vaccine than those whose children did not have such difficulties.

After one month, 20% of parents providing long-term care had an ineffective immune response, compared to 4% of the control group. At six months this had risen to 48% while the levels in the control group remained the same.

Stress

Study leader Stephen Gallagher said low levels of antibodies suggested parents' ability to fight infection was weaker: "This is a good indication that their immune systems are not functioning efficiently."

Stress was likely to be responsible for the immune deficiency, he added.

"These parents are sometimes extremely stressed and what they need is appropriate help and training."

Co-author Dr Anna Phillips said parents caring for these children are "incredibly dedicated" and not in a position to take time off.

"However, knowing the effects that providing round-the-clock care can have on their health may help raise awareness that these parents need help to manage their burden of care."

She said the parents should be added to the list of vulnerable groups eligible for vaccinations such as the flu jab.

"We are continuing this work by looking at how sleep patterns affect the rates of infection in these parents," she added.

Amanda Batten, head of policy and campaigns at the National Autistic Society, said: "Carers often display great strength and resilience whilst coping with this complex disability, but many receive very little help and support, and are under considerable stress as a result.

"It is imperative that carers are given access to services such as short break schemes to help them before they reach a crisis point."

Carol Boys, chief executive of the Down's Syndrome Association, added: "I am not surprised at the results of this study. It just confirms what we already suspected might be one of the consequences of the constant stress that families have to endure."

I actually think thats true. I never used to get ill often, and still dont, but since I had Logan about twice a year things just seem to get on top of me and I get a really bad flu type thing. I'm pretty sure its mainly down to the lack of sleep! Also, parents often struggle to make time for themselves and I think as parents of ASD kids thats even harder. I know in my case we have to be watching Logan all the time but he is very attached to me and spends more time on me/touching me than not.

Lynne x

Wouldnt be at all surprised. Currently undergoing all sorts of tests myself as I'm so run down - but have to say its caring for mum that is causing the stress these days. Would be interested to see if its any kind of long term caring rather than just autism.

Oooooh, how strange. I was at the GP on Friday and he is going through a process of illimination as to why I'm tired all the time, have aching joints and muscles and any good days (where I manage to be a tiny bit active and busy) are followed up by several days when getting out of bed takes up all of my energy! We went through the past few months and apart from the stress of the tribunal and all of that, the only other thing that stands out is that in November I had the 'flu jab! He said it can happen that people having these jabs end up with an inflamatory condition which causes fatigue and joint and muscle pain. He said that once we've ruled out anything 'nasty', if there is indication of inflamation that can't be attributed to anything else, then it may well be because of the jab. :( Got to back next Friday to find out if anything came up on the bloods they took.

I will look out that item... might google it.

Flora

I'm not surprised by this research at all :(

When my DS had a breakdown and was out of school and I was fighting to get a Statement and residesi, I had dreadful problems with my hair falling out. Although it's OK now, it's never gone back to being as thick as it was before :(

I also have a secret fear, which isn't as bad as it was, but I remember crying all over the poor LEA EP who came to the house to assess him: I must have read somewhere that stress is an indicator for breast cancer, and I was convinced I would end up with something like that because of the years and years of acute stress :( It still worries me, but not as much (I don't even know if it's true, but...).

Bid

I have been to the doctors several times over the years for "tatt" - tired all the time. Nothing really showed up. I worry that I wouldn't know if I did have a serious illness, as I never feel 100%.

Hi All.Research showing the impact of caring for a spouse in elderly people has been around for many years.I remember reading up on the topic as part of my District Nurse training in the 1980s.A number of negative effects were found which were thought to be related to the long term stress of the caring role.

I don't know of any research on the impact of caring long term for children with a disability on parents.However in theory the role is more long term and so if anything it could be that there could be more of a long term impact.Karen.

I also have a secret fear, which isn't as bad as it was, but I remember crying all over the poor LEA EP who came to the house to assess him: I must have read somewhere that stress is an indicator for breast cancer, and I was convinced I would end up with something like that because of the years and years of acute stress It still worries me, but not as much (I don't even know if it's true, but...).

that kind of thing used to worry me too bid. But think about it, everyone on here is under such long term stress that if its true its a wonder any of us are still alive! :lol: FWIW I don't think its so much the stress, as the coping mechanisms we develop to deal with it. And just as peeps have different pain thresholds, I think we have different stress thresholds too. Take my bro - he's had a very taxing few years, but NOTHING, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, worries him. Wish I could be like that.

Hi,

Reopening this, as I have been run down for years. Have a son with high functioning ASD and ADHD (medicated), and have a daughter with mild ASD, learning difficulties and mild dyspraxia (was much worse, but has been worked on).

I've never had particularly good health, having always had asthma and eczema (so my autoimmune system isn't good). Have found the stresses and strains of caring for 2 kids with above difficulties extremely draining, and was getting increasingly chesty and snuffly over at least a couple of years until last autumn, when I decided that something must be done. GP tried different antihistamines on me, but then I asked for a referral to the local chest clinic. chest x-ray didn't show anything untoward, and a CT scan showed mild bronchiectasis (death of the tissue of the very fine bronchial tubes) which doesn't need treatment. However, a sputum sample showed an infection - why my GP never thought to get me to provide one goodness only knows. Some of them are useless. So, I've had - wait for it - FIVE courses of antibiotic during the summer which didn't shift it, and I'm on my 6th. I've felt very low and generally ill all this time, and before I started the antibiotic I'd go through periods when I felt relatively energetic, and other times when I felt really tired and run down. I do find it stressful with the kids, and next week my husband is away for two nights :-(. I have no family to help - no sibs, and parents both dead, in-laws 170 odd miles away. Have now started a referral for a local paid-for respite service, but, as with anything else, there's a waiting list - up to a year.

Help for parents of kids who have less obvious disabilities which nevertheless cause a lot of stress and anxiety to the carer really needs to be extended over the country. I'm on the local babysitting list, but very rarely use it, because most of the other parents really don't know how to interact with my kids. Once I've got something set up with this Carers First (Kent), I shall leave the babysitting circle.

I find myself shouting at the kids more often than not, as they won't do what I ask, but felt rough enough yesterday evening that I managed to tell my son to go to his room after pinching his sister and shouting at her without shouting myself. Could really have done with good behaviour from them yesterday. Feel slightly better today, as I didn't wake up at 4.50 am this time, though hubbie's alarm went off at 5.50, and that nearly always wakes me. Snoozed after that.

Son is 13 and going through puberty, and doesn't seem to think he should be told by us, and especially by me, what to do. Daughter is 11 and just started secondary, at a special school.

That's another stress factor, or several: obtaining statements, applying for DLA, and finding the most appropriate school. Not to mention mainstream primary schools that exclude for 'bad' behaviour when the child isn't coping, because their policy is not to distinguish between bad NT behaviour and that of ASD kids, and, of course, not wanting them in school, as has been highlighted on other parts of this forum. Been through all of those.

So, what I'm saying is that I am in sympathy with the findings of the study, and it helps to explain why I feel c*** so much of the time.

Kathy

I too totally agree with this study. i have never had so much sick time as in the last few years. in the past moth alone i have had 2 colds and a throat infection. I also suffer from severe digestive problems and at times depression. I am always tired even after a good nights sleep and have put this down to a combination of stress and the fact i work shifts and am often awake for 36 hours at a time if for instance if i am on nights I will get up to get the kids to school stay up all day all night then get the kids to school and then sleep for 4 1/2 hours no wonder i am tired and ill all tht time.

I started suffering from severe migraines recently, the GP said its due to stress, am also TATT, but then with 4 kids a job and numerous pets its not surprizing. :thumbs: Enid

I started suffering from severe migraines recently, the GP said its due to stress, am also TATT, but then with 4 kids a job and numerous pets its not surprizing. :thumbs: Enid

My migraines are back after years without, I put it down to my horrible horrible job which I used to love & which is now slowly killing me. :tearful:

Recently I've been suffering with eczema, which my GP thinks is probably caused by stress :wallbash:

The same thing happened at the same time last year - no coincidence that DS2 (Autstic) started school last September, and changed classes this year. He doesn't do transitions very well.

Added to this, DS1 has been sitting his 11+, and we have all the stresses of trying to find a secondary school for him.

Both DH and I have been very run down but as we have no family, we don't get much of a break. Mind you, we do have some fantastic friends who help as much as they can :thumbs:

I'd say this is more than accurate, they should be looking into mental health of carers too though, I and most of my friends suffer, or have suffered, some form of depression, anxiety, panic attacks and other mental illnesses and it's obvious that they suffer more during extreme times of stress with their children.