Sign in to follow this  
hedders

sleeping on the floor instead of bed

HI all my dd has started sleeping on the floor at night she is only 4 and doesnt like her bed, she always been funny about her room!!!

Does anyone else children sleep on the floor and is there any explanation for this ????

thanks

my 7 year old does this - has a lovely stompa bed but still sleeps on the floor. we have bought some big child size cushions for him so he lays on top of this in his sleeping bag

My DD AS/ADHD has always done this since about the age of 2.

Currently 12 she has built herself a tent made from blankets to sleep under on the floor

When mine is having one of his episodes/meltdowns he often sleepds on the floor, by this time I am so glad he is quiet I leave him too it. Enid

I used to sleep on the floor for several years as a child. One night my bed broke and I ended up there, and decided to stay.

Yup my lad loves the floor even tho he has a lovely cabin bed. The last few nights he has been in his sleeping bag on his camp mat other times he has a gigantic play tent he likes to sleep in-nightmare cos it fills the flippin room lol.

I cannot remember clearly but there are issues over beds (usually a canopy).

The floor does not move, whereas a bed is wobbly and I think that motion sickness might into this. This are things surrounding beds and being tucked in too tight, probably related to the do not touch me and other things like that. Also note the squeeze thing mentioned by that American woman who's name escapes me.

Maybe over many years the best beds I've used are something like an old horsehair mattress, heavy and the kind you can thump into shape. Best not try this though whilst still part of the horse.

Another thing is more difficult to explain. Because any human is a threat, takes away the little attention breadth we have, being able to relax is difficult if anyone might appear, why I prefer things deep at night. Thinking on the hoof here (horses again) I wonder if there is a relationship to all this and kids digging large holes in the garden then sitting in there. I used to and I read somewhere fairly recently that ASD kids are known to do that.

Sadly with the lack of domains outside for kids today they cannot do that.

Wish I understood more.

I used to sleep in the wardrobe. The first time I did it my mum thought I'd been kidnapped when she went into check on me and I was no where to be found!

When Bill was little he had one of those little pop up play tents in his bedroom and often slept in that.

Flora

I used to do this....when I was 12!!!!

its more of a safe and suprsing place I guess.

B used to fall out of bed regularly as a littlie, up to being around 7. We just put beanbags to break his fall and lift him back in if we noticed! he was never bothered by it.

He sleeps well in a normal bed now, but the spirit of adventure still burns bright. :rolleyes:

He'd sometimes sleep under the bed, loves camping and sleeping bags and has kipped out a couple of times without a tent.

Digging a hole and sitting in it? We call that an archaeological investigation.

Currently he wants to sleep overnight in the playhouse.

I'll end up in a tent in the garden justincase...

L slept on the floor for about four years and only recently transferred to a bed again.

We bought her a loft bed when she was 12 and she loved it for a while, but then the novelty wore off and when her coordination deteriorated she found it difficult to climb the ladder all the time. So she put the mattress on the floor and slept on that. I was concerned it was getting lumpy and uncomfortable (she does tend to bounce up and down a lot) and that it wasn't helping her joint pains, hence the new bed.

K x

It seems common for children with PDA to sleep on the floor too. Of course there is a need for control and sleep is something that cannot be controlled, however, where they sleep can. M has a habit of changing his room around a lot in an effort to control some aspect of sleep.

When we talked to aprents this was one thing that was often the same.

Edited by Minxygal

I decided to remove her bed and leave mattress on the floor, seems pointless at the mo to keep bed there as her room is quite small. She loved it last night when i put the mattress down bless her i thought the novelty would wear off but been a few weeks now and she is still adament of not getting in the bed.