Sign in to follow this  
kirstie

Tilt test

Someone has just brought to my attention this tilt test that can be done on infants/children with suspected ASD. The idea is to sit them on your knee facing away from you and tilt them to each side at a 45 degree angle and the child with suspected autism will keep their head in line with their body but the child who is not will move their head back. I haven't tried this yet on my youngets, who i found out yesterday is most likely on the spectrum too. (i knew) so now we await the Professor's appointment.

Also, has anyone heard of moebius mouth? This can be another indicator apparently. It's where the top lip is very arched and the bottom lip flat, incidentally my daughter has this.

I would imagine the tilt test would have to be done with a relativley young child, but it is by no means a diagnostic tool and should not be treated so.

Just wondered if anyone had heard of these things?

Hi Kirstie, this is an interesting topic :D

I've heard of the tilt-test... but I thought this could only be used as an indicater in babies...ie, toddlers or older infants would not respond in the same way as a baby.

I've never heard of the mouth thing though. Could you explain what you mean by the top lip is arched? I can't visualise what this means.

There are all sorts of theories like this. Another one is the way a baby crawls... if they crawl with right leg/right arm forward followed by left leg/left arm forward... rather than opposites.... apparently it could be an indicator of something neurological going on. When my boys were assessed by a behavioural optometrist they were tested with marching on the spot... they both used the same side leg and arm at the same time... apparently this is a sign of wrong default wiring in the brain and exercises can allegedly correct this and rewire the brain to the 'correct' default. Similarly they were both found on auditory assessment to have no ear dominance; people are 'normally' right ear dominant and if this is 'wired' incorrectly it can cause auditory processing problems leading to all sorts of difficulties.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I do find this subject fascinating.

Flora

Edited by Flora

When my boys were assessed by a behavioural optometrist they were tested with marching on the spot... they both used the same side leg and arm at the same time... apparently this is a sign of wrong default wiring in the brain and exercises can allegedly correct this and rewire the brain to the 'correct' default.

Flora

I used to get shouted at for that when I was in the air cadets. :whistle: They used to call me tick tock, as I used to march with the same side leg and arm at the same time. :lol:

SG

I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like it runs along the same lines as the startle reflex test a paediatrician should carry out on a newborn before it leaves hospital. They let the baby drop backwards swiftly(and safely!!) and what the baby should do is jerk its little arms upwards in response to this unexpected stimulus. If they don't do it, then further tests aimed at the neurological system should be carried out. Both my lads responded in the anticipated way, but as autism often doesn't present until the child is heading for 2 years old, that particular reflex will have been lost long before. Maybe the tilt test is a similar thing for slightly older kids? Hmm....must google it!!

Esther x

Found this!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6201...nal-autism.html

If you google moebius mouth, you should get several relevant hits- hope this is useful!!

Edited by pookie170

I used to get shouted at for that when I was in the air cadets. :whistle: They used to call me tick tock, as I used to march with the same side leg and arm at the same time. :lol:

I was just going to post exactly the same until I read yours!! I joined the air cadets (I wanted to be a pilot when I was younger but was talked out of it :() and I remember drill so clearly because of this - I used to practise marching round the living room at home because I was so determined to fit in. I never did though. :rolleyes::lol:

I was just going to post exactly the same until I read yours!! I joined the air cadets (I wanted to be a pilot when I was younger but was talked out of it :() and I remember drill so clearly because of this - I used to practise marching round the living room at home because I was so determined to fit in. I never did though. :rolleyes::lol:

Tried that one, didn't work for me either! I had to do so many laps of the playground, way more than anyone else. :lol: I remember being asked "are you cold cadet" hmm, never should have answered that one honestly. :lol:

Someone has just brought to my attention this tilt test that can be done on infants/children with suspected ASD. The idea is to sit them on your knee facing away from you and tilt them to each side at a 45 degree angle and the child with suspected autism will keep their head in line with their body but the child who is not will move their head back. I haven't tried this yet on my youngets, who i found out yesterday is most likely on the spectrum too. (i knew) so now we await the Professor's appointment.

Also, has anyone heard of moebius mouth? This can be another indicator apparently. It's where the top lip is very arched and the bottom lip flat, incidentally my daughter has this.

I would imagine the tilt test would have to be done with a relativley young child, but it is by no means a diagnostic tool and should not be treated so.

Just wondered if anyone had heard of these things?

hi kirstie i have just done the tilt test on my 5yr old son and yes his head stayed in line with his body but i must say he had a lot of fun doing it now i have to keep bouncing him up and down on my knee and its a lol thankyou :thumbs:

LOL @ tjw!!! I was going to try it on my 3 year old and 18 month old ... I think I may hold off til my leg muscles have built up!

Off to google Moebius mouth now too ....

LOL @ tjw!!! I was going to try it on my 3 year old and 18 month old ... I think I may hold off til my leg muscles have built up!

Off to google Moebius mouth now too ....

not good on legs got to admit :jester: he has a realy lovley mouth very full and best when shut so undecieded about that one :whistle: sorry for bad spelling not my best subjecting was english :thumbs:

:thumbs: Well, if nothing else you guys made me laugh so thank you for that!!!

I tried the tilt test with my 16 month old and i have to say she 'failed'- actually, not sure that's the right word to use- she kept her head in line with her body anyway!!

Moebius mouth is where the upper lip is very curved, the cupids bow close together and high- not sure i'm making that much sense. I googled it and found a couple of pics of very cute babies with this.

Also, quite interesting factor that physicians may look for (more so with children with siblings on the spectrum) when assesing for autism is the head size/shape. I have 8 y.o with A.S and 2.5 y.o with ASD dx and daughter mid dx, now my younger son has a very big head- flat at the back and wide at the sides (think of Ernie from Sesame St Lol) and this was something they mentioned at his diagnostic appointment, my 8y.o has plagiocephaly and my daughter has something-encephaly (soz can't remember what!!!) meaning one side of her head is a bit bigger and that her face looks a bit like it's squint (to be honest i can't really see it, she's not as obvious as her brothers head wise) and then oyu have my 16 y.o who is nt and has a perfectly shaped head!!!!!

Flora, it is interesting, i have auditory processing difficulties ( ask my driving instructor lol) as does eldest son, i hadn';t heard of left ear preference etc.