Cariad

Rude man in the library

After going into town with the DS and DD2 and her friend we stopped off at the Library for DD2 to get some more books, she is doing this read for 6 weeks thing she does every year...

Well DS plonked himself down and started playing his gameboy, I told him to turn it down which he did.. He then started saying "way hey" a few times.. Then this man on the PC who was furiously writing in the Library on the PC had a go at me about the DS.. It was as if he waited for me to tell the DS to turn down the gameboy (which wasn't that loud anyway but I was paranoid as it was in a library). He then said "I can't concentrate with him playing his game and shouting way hey all of the time", I replied he is Autistic and has tourettes, he then asked me to repeat it and I did. He then started humming very loudly trying to get a reaction out of me, I carried on ignoring the man... but I was :wallbash: , don't you just love the world we live in eh?

Edited by Cariad

He sounds like a pratt... unfortunately the world has many of them :(!!! That being said, it was probably not a good idea to let your son play his game boy in a library, particularly if he finds it difficult not to be vocal about it. When my son plays his game boy he hums to himself while he's concentrating, it's not loud, but it would be in a library IYKWIM so I would have made him switch it off before going in and put it away.

Flora

Hi, sorry you had such a bad experience at the library >:D<<'> , when we used to go as kids there seemed to be a very strict code of you must,nt talk , and everything was said in hushed tones etc.I go to my library every week and there is always something going on etc..........story time for toddlers stuff like that.I took my 2 youngest kids both NT this week to the library , and they skipped around a bit, chatted together in the kids area pretty loudly etc etc, youngest shouted loudly when he could,nt see me "mum where are you".........its seemed more relaxed etc now , as the library was full of kids cos its the school holidays.Its hard when people make comments like you had yesterday , after all its a public place and children have the right to enjoy the library just as much as adults.If people say stuff to me about my son, I usually apologise (if its necessary).........then give a small explanation...if its needed, thats all you can do sometimes as some folk seem to go through life being grumpy, complaining, moaning etc.

What an ignorant git. Not for complaining as such, but for not accepting your explanation. Tis difficult in libraries these days as peeps have such differing expectations. Some want a quiet hushed atmosphere. But libraries want to attract lots of visitors so often have quite noisy activities going on. Cant please everyone.

Perhaps you could find out from the library what their particular policy is on noise and electrical gadgets (I know ours has a sign up asking people to switch off their mobiles etc), and if they are more relaxed about children etc, next time you'll be ready for something like that. He does sound like he was a particularly unpleasant person, the humming over your attempts to repeat the explanation for instance... that's just nasty.

Flo'

Tis difficult in libraries these days as peeps have such differing expectations. Some want a quiet hushed atmosphere. But libraries want to attract lots of visitors so often have quite noisy activities going on. Cant please everyone.

There was a battle raging in our local paper recently on this very issue. Someone wrote in to complain about the excessive noise in the children's area of our library where activities were happening. The official response was dismissive to the point of being rude, saying more or less "libraries have changed. Get over it".

I think it's great that children feel welcomed in a library and set up reading habits which hopefully will continue throughout their lives. But I do feel sorry for those who come to the library to study or do some concentrated reading in peace. There are so few places nowadays where silence is encouraged let alone enforced, and there seems to be no escape from the incessant bleeping of phones and other electronic gadgets. Perhaps libraries should not be so open plan, and should have completely separate areas for different activities?

K x

O my god id have blown a gasket if I were there-hate people who are ignorant like that.

cariad please may i pm you? jo

Of course you can :)

Everyone else thanks for your posts, he was being a pratt! I was in there 5 minutes tops and this man was ok until he heard me say to T to turn it down.. It's like he picked up on my stressed state as I'd been into town with him also and was tired! He was being funny!

Hi

Hold your head up high! That man should be thoroughly ashamed of himself and I'm sure any onlookers with an ounce of decency would hae been horrified.

I recollect only too well how things were in morning at the school with the tutting brigade looking down their noses at me. They actually seemed to get some kind of enoyment out of watching the 'entertainment' - R would kick off at the slightest thing eg one morning I put the wrong shade of yellow school polo shirt on him and he decided to say nothing in the car but save it all up for me until he had a nice big audience. R balled at me that he wished I were dead. Teacher came over and said that those comments must be hurtful, to which I replied that he has AS and is upset about his t-shirt, but what was more upsetting was the audience taking pleasure from watching a disabled child becoming distressed! Must say that sorted out some of them. After that, I came to the conclusion that R was my ONLY priority, after all, none of them had even the faintest idea of what our lives are like and how difficult things can be. I stand on my own and am frankly glad not to be part of the 'cleek' - it's actually quite liberating!!!

Caroline.

He then started humming very loudly trying to get a reaction out of me, I carried on ignoring the man... but I was :wallbash: ,

I think that when he started humming I would have been inclinded to tell my son loudly "It's ok, you can turn the games volume back up loud now because the man is humming at the correct volume that you can have it on" smiled and walked off. What an idiot!

>:D<<'>

oh wow i dont know how you controlled yourself i would have complained about his attitute to the library staff, it is a public place after all!!!

How rude and how childish..I would have been furious with that man!

me too!!! i would have blown my stack...i know it doesnt help sometimes but i hate the ignorance that surrounds disabled children & adults... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :wallbash:

Edited by Julieanne