Sign in to follow this  
Enid

strattera

Hi, just back from an appointment with CAHMS and consultant has said DS would probably be better off on strattera instead of ritalin, he currently takes 30mgs of equasym xl twice a day, he is to stay on resperidone 1mg twice a day. I have wanted him off ritalin for a long time as I think it makes his obsessions/rituals worse but didnt suggest it too her, just wondered if anyone has had any positve results on it, less agressive? etc etc. Enid

Hi Enid

AJ was put on Strattera in January after finally being dxed ADHD at age 15. The psychiatrist said it would take about 8 weeks to see the full effect and he was right. I started to see changes in his body language, more relaxed less fist clenching etc, better eye contact and a willingness to sit and talk. The anger issues definitely better but not gone away. School initially improved, he wasn't getting thrown out of classes so much.

However, i do feel that it reached a plateau and his behaviour is deteriorating. I need to make another appointment to check whether anything needs to be changed (but at �160 per hour I admit Iam stalling!!).

He hasn't had any side effects with the drug apart from losing some weight and not having the voracious appetite he used to (although thats not such a bad thing!).

Hope this helps but pm me if you want any other info.

Stella x

Thanks, do you mind telling me what dose he is on? Dont mind about the loss of appetite, the resperidol increases it so perhaps they will balance each other out!! Enid

Hi my ds is on straterra and they calculate the dose by how much the child weighs. they start off an a little dose to see how he is with it and they build it up 2 weeks at a time until they reach the right amount. It builds up in the system so by doing 2 weeks at a time with each dose it gives it time to get into his system and get 'stable' HTH :)

Thanks Kellyanne, my consultant was supposed to phone me yesterday to get him started on it, she didnt, or today :wallbash: and we are away on Sunday for a week, staying with family, darn`t risk anything else at the mo! How is your boy doing on it? Enid

As with everything we have good and bad days BUT since he has been on strattera instead of the fast acting ritalin things have been better. Hope this change in meds works for your boy x x

Edited by kellyanne

Thanks to you both for advice and info, got his script today, he is to start on 25mg and go up to 60mg at the same time he is to be weaned off the ritalin, so in 6 wks time should be off ritalin completely and on 60mg of strattera and the resperidone. let you know how it goes. Thanks Enid

I am seeing CAMHS on friday and not sure if want son of 8 with ASD to have meds. Are there any alternative therapies?