Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

Aspies at the Dentist

My lad had teeth trouble recently, so I had to take him to the dentist, he hadn't ever been involved with them really as his teeth were always pretty good. When we got there and after considerable encouragement he allowed them to look in his mouth, but the dentists said they would arrange for him to go to a dental hospital because he wouldn't co-operate with them to remove a tooth or to do a filling, and the treatment needs doing..... they said he would have to have a general anaesthetic (?) does that mean sedate him ? Has anyone been through this yet, new territory for me as I am wondering HOW they will do that without traumatising him...

Sorry,

we have a great dentist, when my dd needed a tooth removed the dentist did it without any pain relief because the actual jag would have been worse than getting the tooth out (baby tooth).

Sorry i was no help but maybe another dentist would be better?

N x

oops! the general is sedating him

Edited by Nic m

Hello

We have gone to the hospital for M to get teeth out. He gets put to sleep (I can never remember if this is local or general ):wacko:

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Take care

Forbsay

Edited by forbsay

ds would never go in the chair dentist would have to look whilst he was standing,,was sent to dental hosp and he was put to sleep,,,, he wasnt bothered at all by having the needle in th back of his hand!!!!! the dentist told him it was a straw and was giving him milkshake through it,,,this worked wonders for us and he was no prob,,,,, normal dentist said he wouldnt even try to do any work on him cos of sensory probs anyway sooooo guess he will go to dental hosp for any work needed,,,,,ds was brilliant throughout,,,,,,,

ds would never go in the chair dentist would have to look whilst he was standing,,was sent to dental hosp and he was put to sleep,,,, he wasnt bothered at all by having the needle in th back of his hand!!!!! the dentist told him it was a straw and was giving him milkshake through it,,,this worked wonders for us and he was no prob,,,,, normal dentist said he wouldnt even try to do any work on him cos of sensory probs anyway sooooo guess he will go to dental hosp for any work needed,,,,,ds was brilliant throughout,,,,,,,

I confess it scared me to be honest, the thought of my child being put to sleep every time he has a tooth problem has rattled me a bit. I have a brilliant bond with my son it's empathic at times, and I am wondering if it just me :unsure: He sees his Mum doing injections every day (She has diabetes), and is always saying he'll never have that... his Mum shows she doesn't like it, and I think he has latched on to that... we have one more chance to try things out we have arranged another dentist visit to see if he is more confident to let them do what they need to, I doubt it frankly, if he sees a needle or anything he is off, and nothing will convince him to stay. It's the thought of seeing my child unconscious, I think they will have to sedate me as well ! I offered to let the dentist inject me first to show him it doesn't hurt (It bluddy does though :tearful: ), but he wasn't having it.

Z completely freaks at the dentist, even if only going for a check up. One dentist refused to see her saying she was a danger to him and his staff.

We also had to go down the hospital route as she wouldn't let the dentist do any treatment went into complete meltdown. I don't think the poor guy had ever seen anything like it in his life.

She had a general(which is being put to sleep) and it was very traumatic for her and me but again she went into meltdown, The staff weren't very sympathetic and just saw a naughty child and treated her as such. Although they were told about her dx I don't think they understood what it meant.

Apparently there are dentists out there that deal with special needs kids and adults Finding them is the difficult bit

You have all my sympathy

Wishing you all the luck in the world

Sending lads of hugs

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Zosmum

I taught a child who was NT and dental phobic.

He was sedated at the local hospital for treatment, needle into the back of the left hand. Out about 20 minutes usually.

Seeing your own child undergo any invasive medical treatment is always terrifying, especially as you have to stay calm and keep your game face on. I watched B have two injections into a knee wound before they stitched it, and it upset me a great deal more than him. Hopefully, your local hospital will have someone ASD-friendly as well as child friendly.

General is the one were they go to sleep...usually a needle in the back of the hand...only know cos my lad has had umpteen ops n is due for another...it is heart breaking seeing them go under but I try to remind myself it is for his best(not easy!!!). My lad has the dentist tomorow n im dreading it cos he freaks out bigtime.

My son hasn't in the past reacted well to a GA= anaethetist commented that needed more than he expected. Afterwards took ages to come around and wasnt very well. His dentist found that the usual anaesthetic wasnt sufficient in the chair with locals. I think that I myself have a fairly high pain threshold. I had some root canal treatment without anesthetic as I found the injection too traumatic. We all find it hard to tolerate the dentist. My DD ( also as) hates the dentist and toothbrushes! I am currently massaging her gums in a bid to densensitivise her gums. I am told that some SEN dentists are really helpful.

We had a nightmare dentist trip today...he could just about check how many teeth ds had!!!!! He wanted to blow air to dry ds's teeth n ds was almost out of the room before I could blink!!! He has said should ds need any treatment he will refer him to the dental hospital for me so as he can be knocked out!!!!

Tom had a tooth removed under general anesthetic and he was fine , they dealt with him really well explaining every step and trying to keep him calm, i was allowed to stay till he fell asleep which was all of about three seconds lol, he was a bit disorientated when he came orund but otherwise was right as rain after a good sleep.

Just thought about this,

I had to inform the dentist when my dd was diagnosed with hyper mobility.

she gets regular breaks when they look in her mouth etc, and she also has a different reaction to meds as well (my whole family also react differently to meds).

Just in case this is a factor with anyone

N x