Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

Work Experience nightmare

:tearful: As usual school failed to recognise the difficulties Tom has in the 'outside' world. I set up his placement with my son in law who has his own car sales business, Tom was to help my daughter with the bookeeping etc. Ideal placement - he would get picked up and he would be with ppl who know him then he would get returned home in the evening. Health and safety said no after the placement being in the schools hands for 6 months, because my sil has no public liability insurance. they told us this with four weeks to go to the work ex date - you now have to find yr own placements btw school dont do it.

so we couldnt find him anywhere SNC says i will find him somehwere - she found him a place in a workshop where kids who dont get on at school learn to service cars - hello he hates getting his hands dirty and he needed to catch a bus to get there. A teacher took him round the place when he got home he couldnt remember what no bus he caught or where he had to get off when he got there. I phoned the school and she said oh ok we will find him another place with two weeks to go!!!

Upshot is he didnt get a place and had to go into school to catch up on his course work to tell u the truth he loved that cos there were only three kids who didnt get a place and he had some peace and quiet!!! lol. Why oh why do they continuously get it wrong after he has been there for 5 years they still dont know him at all!!!!!! :unsure:

It's so good to see things haven't changed in just over ten years. :angry: Although I didn't have an ASD dx at school, it was quite clear that there were 'issues' - long story of placements not being suitable, not being able to find something that I was actually interested in (well girls just don't do that sort of thing :tearful:) which eventually ended in me being the only pupil in the year without a placement - cor thanks, wasn't like I was already feeling different or anything :angry: - although it did have a positive as the next week everyone had to give an individual presentation about their placement so I got out of something which would have reduced me to tears :tearful::thumbs:

At the work experience talk for the Twins it was made very clear that any placement would have to have the proper insurance - this did cause problems for children who wanted to work with family members.

I found the whole experience a nightmare - they gave R a placement on the outskirts of the town. It was too far to walk (and was along a country lane anyway) and there was no bus, so I had to take him in half an hour early and be a bit late for work myself. He had to sit outside and wait until they opened, even when it was raining. We told the work experience people he had to be able to walk there or get a bus. They obviously do not know the local area.

there could be all sorts of implications of choosing the wrong type of placement for a 'child' with AS, for anyone else they just blunder through it, but this could put our kids off work for life, also they run the risk of being ridiculed by the people they work with, honestly its a nightmare. there is talk of Tom trying it next year, I hope he leaves before they find a place lol.

that is so sad your son having to sit outside of his placement, anything could have happenned.

woops sorry to hear of it.

Mismanagement at its very best :(