Sign in to follow this  
V1971

Took my son swimming today

It was the first time and he did great, I was very proud. However, when we got back to the changing room he started moaning because he could hear a baby crying in the background (he hates that), I reassured him that it would stop soon and started to get dressed. There was a woman next to us who obviously didn't like his moaning (it wasn't loud, just annoying), she offered him some raisins saying that maybe it would help. I said 'no, thanks', he is not hungry. She then proceeded: 'they are very healthy, you know'. I say 'I know but this is not the right time'. She then asks: 'what language is he speaking anyway?' I look at her and say 'err..English' she goes 'oh, it sounds more like Portuguese to me'. I explained that he doesn't speak very well. She goes 'how come, how old is he?' :wallbash: Ughhhh! I say '5, but he is autistic and still learning to speak'. There you go. That shut her up. She was actually very sweet after that and kept on telling me how gorgeous he was etc., but I am just fed up of people interfering. I get this all the time.

I know that you understand.

Hi

At worst I think she was a little forward. At best, she sounds like she was trying to help, showed a genuine interest and was compassionate and understanding.

Wish I encountered more people like that woman. Over the past few years I've encountered a few who are downright judgemental and nasty.

C.

Edited by cmuir

Hi V,

I know you find this kind of interference annoying. I can understand that. But I think that the way you handled this situation meant that this woman actually came away having gained some understanding about autism.

Hi V,

I know you find this kind of interference annoying. I can understand that. But I think that the way you handled this situation meant that this woman actually came away having gained some understanding about autism.

Absolutely, it's lovely when you get someone who is actually nice and tries to understand a little, instead of the usual looks and comments.